New for me Bersa Mini Firestorm 45

Discussion in 'General Handgun Discussion' started by 12fretter, Apr 9, 2013.

1. 12fretter

12fretter New Member

As my daughter will be taking over my Thunder 380 soon, I needed an inexpensive carry weapon for myself and decided on this Bersa Mini FireStorm 45. Found one used from a private seller and just got back from the range.

[​IMG]

I like everything about it except I kept getting bit by it. As it turns out, it wasn't the slide that was getting me - I was being pinched between the frame and the hammer as the slide cocked the hammer back. The edge of the frame right there is very sharp. I'm thinking I can take a jewelers file and take that edge off.

[​IMG]

Suggestions?

2. jc191122

jc191122 New Member

Hey congrats, nice gun. I had a bersa .380 that I shot alot and it never once let me down. I regret letting it go, but you know how it is, you see something you have to have and you dont quite have all the money so you get rid of one you already have. Well i learned my lesson and i dont do that anymore. Yeah you should be able to know that down a little bit without hurting anything IMHO. How did it do at the range?

3. orangello

orangello New Member

Wow! That looks just like the Bersa Thunder9 UCP I have; I LOVE this lil pistol. I do wish there were some wood grips or heavy duty rubber-coated grips available for mine.

I have not experienced the bite you described. Your solution seems reasonable, but I wonder if a different hammer might be an alternative? I would be more hesitant to change the frame of the pistol than to change the hammer.

4. 12fretter

12fretter New Member

JC, I know what you mean. I used to have a room full of super duper guitars. I slowly traded or sold them off to either fund some other project or pay bills. There were a couple that I wished I had never sold off, and kept them as family heirlooms. But alas, it is what it is.

At the range, the gun is more accurate than I am for sure. But I like it, and certainly wish I could have afforded more ammo to practice with as I was having fun with it. But not today. I'll get back to it soon enough I hope.

Orange, Yep, this is the same frame, only in a .45. I thought about taking the grips off and coating them with the spray rubber stuff you use to coat tool handles, like pliers.

As far as relieving the edge, I think I will try it. Although it is blued right there, creating a smooth edge will help both me, and the next guy to own it, if I decide to let it go in the future.

5. BeyondTheBox

BeyondTheBox New Member

Um... stop gripping so high? Lol

Seriously I think people grip way too high normally. I don't even have my hands against the beavertail of mine, let alone so tight that the webbing is bunched up and overlapping.

I think we tend to be so worried about limp wristing that we over compensate with grip. But that's just me.

6. Dearhunter

Dearhunter Supporting Member Supporter

I have the Bersa Firestorm mini 9mm and have no problem. maybe it is the way you grip your gun.

Firestorm.jpg

7. gr8oldguy

gr8oldguy New Member

I have the Bersa UC Pro 45. Looks like yours without the molded finger grips. It's never caused me any issues. Like someone asked, how are you holding the gun? good luck...great gun

8. orangello

orangello New Member

Have you considered the possibility that it could be something up with your grip?
    :D

I think we may need some pictures here.

9. valent

valent New Member

I'd say he is using high grip. Usualy, there is about 1/8" space between fingers web and forementioned sharp edge.

10. Rick1967

Rick1967 Well-Known Member

I have the Bersa 45 Ultra Concealed Pro. It looks just like yours. Mine has bit me too. I am more careful with my grip now. I dont shoot it that much. It is one of my many carry guns. I have pracited enough that I am very good with it. I run a box though now and then but not like my 1911 I compete with. If it bites me someday while I am defending myself it will be a small price to pay for my life. It was a very minor thing anyway. I didnt even notice it the first time.

11. rachilders

rachilders New Member

I've owned Bersa guns since the 1970's and liked them all. As well as a .380 I have both the UC-45 and UC-9 and they are my two favorites. BTW, for those who don't know, the larger caliber Bersa pistols (9mm, .40 & .45) are entirely different designs compared to the Bersa 380 auto. The smaller gun is essentially an Argentine PPK.

Anyway, as others have pointed out, try adjusting your grip a bit before you make any changes to the gun.

12. 12fretter

12fretter New Member

Of course, I adjusted my grip as I went, but thanks for that obvious suggestion;), but it's not comfortable. As you naturally grab the weapon, you want the webbing of your thumb to index finger to fit snugly under the beaver tail. It's just the natural grip, and you want that.

The factors that make the bite may not have to do with where I'm gripping, it may have to do with the combination of the angle of the gun at the peak of recoil, plus how loosley I may be holding it, allowing the hammer to grab the webbing and pulling it into that sharp edge. Since this is a .45, the recoil is increased over the others here who have the 9mm version and have had no issues with bite.

I would much rather slightly alter the weapon to minimize the bite than to change my natural grip, as I don't have any problems with my other weapons. Since this will be my primary carry weapon, it needs to be as natural as possible without worrying about gripping it differently to avoid this.

13. orangello

orangello New Member

What about putting some double-sided tape under there, between the edge you get bitten on and the rest of the grip? It might keep your hand from sliding up and be less obvious. :)

Honestly, I'm wanting the .45acp version too, now.

14. rachilders

rachilders New Member

As I mentioned in my earlier reply, I have both the 9mm and .45ACP versions of the Bersa UC and while they look alike, the parts are not interchangeable. The UC-9 has a slightly smaller, narrower frame and slide and almost all the other parts are proportionally different as well. I personally find the 9mm UC easier and more comfortable to to shoot than the .45 (not just due to the smaller bullet) having shorter fingers because of the difference. I have to alter my grip when using the larger pistol and it does make a difference in how I shoot.

FWIW, I got the UC-45 before I bought my UC-9 in 2005 and it's a very easy shooting .45. I also currently own other .45 caliber pistols (a 1911 and Taurus PT 945) and the felt recoil with the UC is much less than with the other guns.