New FN Hi Power

Discussion in 'Hi Power Firearms' started by CA357, Feb 24, 2013.

1. CA357

CA357 New Member Supporter

This is a 1961 or possibly earlier FN Hi Power. The 1961 comes from the stamp on the frame stating that it was put into service for the Buenos Aires Provincial Police in 1961. I contacted FN to try and narrow down the manufacture date and am waiting to hear back.

The left side of the frame is stamped Div. Interna Sec. and there's a worn crest on top of the slide. I've got to figure out how to remove the white outline.

It's numbers matching frame, slide and barrel. No import mark! It was refurbished by FM in Argentina and it was reblued as well. It has the box from FM and it's numbered to the pistol. The grips are the ones that came with it, but I have a set of early Hi Power wooden stocks with the red backs coming for it.

It's in beautiful condition and is now my carry pistol. :cool:

I realize this is the 1911 forum, but I figured it's J.M.B.'s design, so...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 24, 2013
  2. HockaLouis

HockaLouis New Member

Lov'n that Hi-Power!

3. CA357

Thanks Lou. Me too. :D

4. CaseyChadwell

CaseyChadwell New Member

I'm going to catch some flack for this one, but can someone tell me what is so attractive about these pistols? I've heard the grip is amazing, is that it? I personally think they're kinda ugly. Please don't kill me...

5. Gatoragn

Gatoragn Active Member

Shoot one, you will be enlightened.

6. eatmydust

eatmydust New Member

I have no real experience with the Hi-Power but several years ago when I was thinking about adding a semi-auto pistol to my collection, the B.H.-P. was the only auto my wife and I felt fit both of our hands really well.

7. jackrich3

jackrich3 Active Member Supporter

I shot a buddy's 9mm Hi-Power back in the '70s and it was love at first shot. But because it was 9mm, I never considered buying one. I'm not a fan of 9mm. But a few years ago, I found a .40 cal FN at a Ft. Myers gun show and couldn't get my wallet out quick enough. I was there to buy a particular rifle and walked out with the Hi-power instead. Casey, have you a opportunity to shoot one? If not, put it on your bucket list, you may change your mind.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Feb 24, 2013
  8. crazycharlie2

crazycharlie2 New Member

Is the white outline paint od maybe lacquer stick?
    I'd try some Hoppe's to soften it and rub with a bore patch so as not to ruin the finish.
    If that didn't work I'd try some lacquer thinner on a q'tip.
    Good luck and nice looking pistol.

9. Sonic82

Sonic82 New Member

Why stop there? When you could add...a Glock looks like a Ferrari next to a Beretta. Or..the .45ACP is for fat old guys..Or..only a candy a** would shoot a revolver :D

10. CA357

Casey, it's a very nice carry piece and quite slim even though it's a double stack. It's not as light as a polymer pistol, but it isn't very heavy either. See if you can get your hands on one and shoot it. That's the only way to evaluate a handgun anyway.

11. sweeper22

sweeper22 New Member

For a steel framed high capacity, there is no better carry gun.

I shoot a little better with the CZ 75 (every bit as much of a BHP takeoff as the BHP is of a 1911), but carry the BHP over the CZ. They're both slim for doublestacks, but the BHP is noticeably slimmer. I'd put some fancier grips on mine if I didn't carry it occasionally.

After the 1911, the BHP is probably the next most populous choice among the "top 5 pistols" lists for most seasoned shooters. Good shooter, great ergos, nice capacity, and just a sexy beast. But I still like shooting my CZ 75 better.

Mine are newer models than CA's classic, but they're both workhorses...

[​IMG]

12. CA357

I had a 9mm CZ 75B and thought it was an outstanding pistol. I should have kept it, but I was working part time at a gun shop at the time and I went through firearms like crazy.

13. canebrake

canebrake New Member

No flack, just one question.

Have you shot one?​

And I'm sorry jackrich3, but a BHP in 40 slow & weak (or as I like to call it, 10mm lite) is blasphemy!

[​IMG]

^ My two favorite carry guns. Not a modicum of ugly there! YMMV

To all FTF members; I have a canebrake mea culpa.

I am envious of my brother Don!

One gun high on my bucket list is a pre-1962, internal extractor Browning Hi Power in shooter grade. (A carry piece not a safe queen.) Don has beat me to it!

Kudos my friend!

[​IMG][​IMG]

14. CA357

Thanks Cane. However, you have a gorgeous polished nickel Hi Power to console you. In fact, we should start a Hi Power picture thread.

As far as carrying the FN, it's so pretty that it almost begs to be a safe queen. But I figure it's a refurbed service pistol, so it's going to be carried and anyway, I can't afford safe queens.

BTW, the grips on it are very comfortable. They're some kind of hard rubber. Depending on how the wood stocks feel, the rubber ones may stay on it for carry.

15. CaseyChadwell

CaseyChadwell New Member

I will be tracking one down in the very near future then. I don't know if I have ever handled one really so I guess I am just being bias based on my tastes in what I think is attractive on firearms. I think the 1911 is one of the sexiest handguns ever designed, still don't know whybit took me so long to buy another. I think glocks are about the ugliest, and I can't shoot them to save my life...guessing it's the grip angle...I can group them fine, but point of aim and poi is always off...I shoot high left with every glock I've ever fired.

I hope I didn't lose any chance of getting any respect from you guys. :)

16. CA357

Casey, if we all liked the same things this would be a very boring world. ;)

17. canebrake

canebrake New Member

Or we would be the democratic party! [​IMG]

18. fireguy

fireguy New Member

Sweet new pistol! I've never had a chance to shoot a hi power, gonna have to put that higher on the list.

19. canebrake

canebrake New Member

Yea, us old guys have our moments. [​IMG]

20. jackrich3

jackrich3 Active Member Supporter

It's all good