Firearms Talk banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
497 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK, so I changed out the stock AK muzzle brake for this birdcage style flash hider. I haven't tried it yet, but I'm sure performance won't be changed much. I mainly got it for looks anyway. It required some minor dremel work for the little tab to seat in its notches, but that was nothing big. I think it looks good... Any opinions?

Attachments

·
Registered
497 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
by the way, I think my next mod is to find someone who will properly weld on the side rail for the receiver, so I can mount a scope on this thing. I figure a long barrel, heavy rifle like this would make a better sniper-ish support weapon than an front line or breaching weapon (not that I'll really be doing either with it, hopefully).

·
Registered
138 Posts
Looks nice-- real nice, but I wouldn't bother with a scope for it.

·
Registered
497 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Looks nice-- real nice, but I wouldn't bother with a scope for it.
I know what you are trying to say, but I have other regular rifles with iron sights. I picture a big, heavy, long RPK as being used in a stationary position to hit targets from 100 to 300 yards at a fast rate. Maybe not a scope, but some sort of sighting system that will give a better aim at 100 yards or more. The iron sights max out at 100 yards for my eyes.

I know the 7.62x39 round isn't exactly a sniper round, but the rpk WAS designed for infantry support. It SHOULD be able to shoot past 100 yards. With an accurate aiming device (like a small scope), the rpk could become very handy for this purpose...

any more thoughts on the subject? This is an interesting topic to me.

·
Premium Member
11,374 Posts
I replaced the slant brake on my Polish under folder with a birdcage FH. The recoil benefits of the slant brake cannot be very big and the FH will (hopefully) reduce the visible signature of the rifle.

·
Registered
138 Posts
I guess the side scope mount is the way to go then-- I'd just get the 3-9x42 that was originally designed for SVD rifles.

http://www.impactguns.com/store/PO3-9X42SVD.html

This scope comes with a mounting system. 3-9 is plenty to get you out to well beyond 300 yards.

Personally I'd go with a EOTech on it. After all, it was built as a full auto squad leader gun so with that drum on there, and a red dot-- oh man talking major fun.

·
Premium Member
11,374 Posts
Oh, yeah! EoTech, C-More or other holographic sight would be perfect for this application. Boo Coo fun!

·
Registered
497 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Oh, yeah! EoTech, C-More or other holographic sight would be perfect for this application. Boo Coo fun!
well, anything that will make this rifle viable at 100-300 yards is fine with me. I already have firearms that work well between 1-100 yards. And I know the rpk isn't sniper-level, but I bet I could place every shot on a human-sized target at 200 yards with it (with a good aiming system).

I like the idea of the russian scope, to fit with the look of the rpk. Since this rifle really is just for fun, looks are important to me.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts