New Firearm

Discussion in 'The Club House' started by JayCody, Nov 2, 2013.

1. JayCody

JayCody New Member

I have decided to try my hand at designing a Bolt action rifle and am wondering what features y'all would want and what things you dislike about bolt action rifles.

2. SSGN_Doc

SSGN_Doc Well-Known Member

Stiff/rigid action that should aid in repeatable accuracy/precision. Short lift of the bolt handle would aid in speed of manipulation for faster follow-up shots when hunting. That would likely mean more barrel lugs requiring few degrees to move the handle through. My Sako has three lugs, for example. Barrel installs similar to a Savage could be nice or some other method allowing easier barrel swaps by the owner for lighter or heavier profiles, or calibers with the same bolt face size. Or a bolt lug portion if the bolt that could be changed as well for caliber swaps. Could possibly incorporate matched bolts and barrels that are already headspaced as accessories to the rifle.
    Solid action bedding that is resistant to dimensional change due to temp/moisture, and likely a stock with similar properties. Free floating barrel. Sling and bipod mounting options. Detachable mags. Threaded barrels for option if mounting suppressors or muzzle breaks . Adjustable trigger. Barrels should also be match quality. Precision rifled, stress relieved, etc.

3. Mercator

Mercator Active Member

A left side bolt handle with right side ejection.

4. SSGN_Doc

Interesting. For lefties who want their brass in front of them and access to the port, or to keep brass away from righties, with left hand access to the bolt handle?

5. Mercator

Mercator Active Member

I am right handed, and would like to keep my shooting hand on the grip while cycling. Similar to the left side charge handles in semiautos.

6. SSGN_Doc

Got it, but what about having the bolt and handle still coming toward the face during cycling? Nice to be able to maintain cheek weld.

Maybe an elevated cheek piece with a bolt race that went below the cheek rest, could be incorporated with a more forward bolt handle.

I do like the idea of being able to maintain contact with both the shooting hand and the cheek.

7. Mercator

Mercator Active Member

If he can figure out how, I am buying it!

8. JayCody

JayCody New Member

All good ideas. John Moses browning started somewhere, I reckon this will keep me busy...