New Father and son project.

Discussion in 'The Club House' started by Rick1967, Apr 30, 2013.

1. Rick1967

Rick1967 Well-Known Member

My son Daniel is 14. He will be 15 in October. In Colorado a teen can get an instruction permit on their 15th birthday. They dont make them wait until 15 1/2 because they have to drive for a full year before they get a license. We have been talking about building a car. I was driving down the street yesterday and saw this. I had to stop. It is a 1962 Jeep CJ6. It is as stripped down as can be. I picked up a couple of real leather reclining high back bucket seats at Orielly Auto parts. We neet to relocate the gas tank. I plan to totally modernize it safety wise. Daniel wants us to paint it in a Desert Camo theme. I told him I will give him a couple 50 cal ammo cans to mount in the back with locks. He is pretty excited. I could not sleep last night.

Anybody into vintage Jeeps? I have been wanting to do one since I did my K5-Blazer.

In the one picture you can see the the drivers seat is bolted down to a 4x4 and a 2x4 board. :eek:

Attached Files:

2. Rick1967

This is what we accomplished today.

And the seats I picked up today.

Attached Files:

3. Rick1967

I want to get a 15 inch Grant Steering wheel. But I am having a hard time finding a mounting kit. Anybody know which one I need?

4. jeepboy4life

jeepboy4life New Member

Not necessarily into vintage jeep, but am into jeeps I'm general, particularly the Cherokee XJ's. Got my project jeep and got started collecting parts last summer, going under major transformation this summer. Swapping both axles, tranny, tcase, 3" lift, tires and rims, and gunna do some engine upgrades. What motor does that have in it? And what axles? If you know

5. Rick1967

The engine it the 2.2 liter with the F head. I think they are Dana 60s.
    But I honestly havent even looked under it yet. They told me that the engine was rebuilt 3 years ago but only has 100 miles on it. The fuel system was a mess. So I took a gas can and shoved a fuel line in to it. I hooked it up to the fuel pump. Then the pump to the carb. Runs great. Started right up. I let it run for about 5 minutes. Really smooth. No smoke.

6. Axxe55

Axxe55 The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

nice little father and son project Rick!:D

sounds like a lot of fun for both of you.

on the steering wheel, i would recommend staying with the stock diameter if you are going to change it. reason, i doubt that jeep has P/S, so a larger steering wheel allows better leverage for turning than a smaller one.

7. Rick1967

I hear you Axxe. It would go from 17 to 15. But it is really light. We are both over 6'2". It is difficult to get in and out around that big wheel.

8. Axxe55

yeah i can understand that. two inches is a world of difference for a taller person. 17" to a 15" might not be too bad. it'll allow him to get a little upper body workout when parallel parking!:D

9. Rick1967

I told him we would mount an MG in the back. He thought I was serious. I laughed so hard. :D

10. TheDesertFox

TheDesertFox New Member

11. manta

manta Well-Known Member Supporter

Looks like a interesting project. Should look good when finished.

12. TruggieTex

TruggieTex New Member

Wish I had that interaction and bonding event with my father...my son will!

Great project! Look forward to seeing the results.

13. orangello

orangello New Member

Now that is cool, and as a bonus there is no back seat... ;)

14. rurak

rurak New Member

14 and over 6'2" .... how much does it cost to feed the "little" fella???

15. Rick1967

Well we decided it was time to work in the garage. We had to use a bottle to put gas in the carb through the fuel line. But it ran fine one we got it going. Then we got both of the seats mounted. I am having trouble finding a steering wheel adapter. Does anyone know if a golf cart one will work. A web site tried to sell me one. But I dont like to gamble on the web with stuff that "might" work.

Attached Files:

16. Rick1967

Well if what I have seen so far is any indication...the three stooges must have worked on this jeep at one time or another. I am re-wiring everything. There is no fuse box anywhere. Just wires and switches. If there were to be a short it would burn down the jeep! I had to pull the tail light assemblies. I accidentally broke one of them. Moe or Curly used a crap load of silicone to glue them on! I have crazy glued the rim back together. I am glad this thing is so simple. But there are wires hanging underneath that are not hooked up to anything. I am glad I have done this before! :eek:

17. Axxe55

Rick, just a suggestion. as simple and as old as the Jeep is, it might be easier to build a wiring harness from scratch. or check Painless Wiring for a complete wiring harness if wiring isn't your forte.

i have built several wiring harness' from scratch several times in the past for old cars.

18. Rick1967

Check out our state of the art gas tank. The new seats are nice too. The gas tank is really just for testing purposes. I found a brand new CJ5 tank, skid plate and sending unit for a total of $191.00 including shipping to my door. It will cost me the ability to tow. But that is not something we intended to use it for anyway. It is only a 2.2 liter 4 banger.

Attached Files:

19. Rick1967

That is actually what I am doing. That is why I am pulling all of the assemblies. I bought a bunch of wire and connectors at Autozone after work today. I am pulling all new wire and letting it hang out of the holes where all the lights go. I will reinstall everything only after I have tested everything to be sure it all works the way it should. I am going to put relays in for the headlights. Same thing with the horn. I picked up a service manual for it the other day. There is a detailed wiring diagram. But there are no wire colors listed! It is all in black and white. I am just using the color codes from my Blazer. I bought a 25 foot 4 wire strand that is supposed to be for wiring a trailer. But I am going to use it to wire the tail lights, brakes and turn signals in the front and the back. I got 12 gauge wire for the head lights. I ordered two 4 fuse-fuse boxes to run everything through. 8 fuses should be plenty for something that only has a radio, lights and a horn. I did the same thing with a 66 Chevy Pick-Up many years ago.

20. Tackleberry1

Tackleberry1 New Member

...and British Wives! :D

Sorry guys... Inside joke with Axxe

Very cool "DAD" move there Rick. Good job.

Tack