New Era police cars.

Discussion in 'The Club House' started by cpttango30, Feb 13, 2011.

1. V-6

3 vote(s)
    12.0%
  2. V-8

22 vote(s)
    88.0%
  1. cpttango30

cpttango30 New Member

I was just reading an article about the new police cars.

Ford, Chevy, and Mopar all offering cars with V-6 motors?

For our LEO's would you rather have a V-6 with a turbo or a V-8 without?

2. Yunus

Yunus New Member

Are these full size vehicles like a Crown Vic or mid size like a Fusion?

3. Car54

Car54 New Member

The Ford Interceptor will have two v-6 options; a 260ish hp, and a 340ish hp rating, the Chevy Impala will have a v-6, the Chevy Caprice will have a v-8 (don't know the hp ratings), and the Dodge Charger will have a v-6 and a hemi option.

Although I prefer a v-8, horsepower and acceleration is a major factor. That 340 or so hp in the new Ford v-6 is something to pay attention to. I also prefer a rear wheel drive.

4. dog2000tj

dog2000tj New Member

Nothing less than this will do,

images.jpg

;)

5. cpttango30

cpttango30 New Member

The ford offering is all wheel drive. So that will be a major factor as well...

I would think the handling of a car with a v-6 would be a bit better than that with a big v-8 up front.

6. dnthmn2004

dnthmn2004 New Member

Exactly what I was going to say. V6 turbo with AWD would be invaluable here in MA. Other states will see AWD as useless and opt for a big V8 RWD, which is fine because they don't see snow during the winter.

7. TGReaper

TGReaper New Member

I expect that the correct answer would be "it depends on the area/circumstances".
    Where I live the police response time is 45 min.+ so in reality they may as well travel by horse and buggy.

8. cpttango30

cpttango30 New Member

Where I grew up a v-6 with a turbo or not is going to get you out ran by anyone with a v-8.

9. skullcrusher

skullcrusher New Member

Technology is vastly better than when you were growing up. There are 4-cyl turbos that do 200+ in a 1/4 mile now. :eek:

10. cpttango30

cpttango30 New Member

The CHP guys would bring the mustangs in the shop to my brother all the time saying it needs to go faster.

One guy came in and said it has a vibration at 145 mph. FIX IT. So they test drove it sure enough vibration at 145. Turns out the drive line had a small crack on the inner tube and it would flex at that speed causing it to become unbalanced.

You are talking about a drag car that is totally different than a car that can run flat out down I-5 for 120 miles. Sure tech is a little better then the 90's but it ain't that much better. Turbos are also just one more thing to go wrong as well.

Really does having a v-6 with a turbo inter-cooler and all that save weight over just having a v-8? Not really.....

11. Car54

Car54 New Member

Gas usage is the deciding factor in most purchases. In your cities they are more likely to go with the smaller motors for general patrol because there usually isn't a need for sustained high speeds. You'll get your pursuits but most of the time the cars will be turning off one road onto another quite often versus running down a straight road forever. Or they will equip their special traffic cars with the larger motors.

On the other hand, highway patrols and counties are more apt to use the higher power for the sustained high speed uses on more open roads and freeways.

Then again, I have seen departments buy the biggest baddest stuff just for the reason of saying "we have it and you don't".

12. DarinCraft

DarinCraft New Member

The first thing I learned when I was in my first pursuit is that is doesn't matter how fast the car goes, because Crown Vic's can't stop for crap!:eek: I want a V8, but brakes are more important.

13. skullcrusher

skullcrusher New Member

Our county Sheriff dept bought 6 new Daytonas with the 500hp. Huge story in the paper with cool pics and all. Funny thing is in this county there are few straight and open roads. Most 2 lanes (one each way) and lots of hills and turns. A semi-skilled driver in a Honda V-Tech four banger, 5-speed can lose a Daytona somewhat easily. The main factor is as it has been for decades. No one can out run a radio.

14. Bigcountry02

Bigcountry02 Coffee! If your not shaking, you need another cup Supporter

Mad Max Police Interceptor (Need for Speed)

15. Car54

Car54 New Member

Oh man you are so right. The brakes on the Fords, and the light rear ends on the Caprices where they slide out from you when you're cranking into a turn. Fun days gone by.

16. red ryder

red ryder New Member

i'm hoping for the ford v6 turbo with awd.

17. robocop10mm

robocop10mm Lifetime Supporting Member Lifetime Supporter

The Crown Vics of "old" had REALLY crappy brakes. The newer ones have damn good brakes. I went to PEDI school in a 99 CV and never once overheated the brakes. I ate a set of Eagles in 5 days, but brakes were fine.

I like the longevity of a big V-8. I high reving V-6 just wears out faster.

18. Kain

Kain Member

Cops around here have had Intrepids (FWD V6) and Impalas (also FWD V6) since around '99. They're happier than pigs in slop to have Chargers now with the Hemi. Personally, I have to make due with a Powerstroke on a daily basis, and I'd kill for a gas burning V6 when I have an emergency call.

19. BombDoc

BombDoc New Member

A few of my buddies are LEOs here. They all have the same comment on it. "Nothing outruns a radio." They were mad as hell when they got their Impalas. FWD and V6? WTF? I heard that a lot. Most of the Chargers around here are V6 as well. The OHP Chargers I assume are Hemi. The Impalas seem to be faster likely due to the power:weight ratio.

A few comments are very true. The more complicated the car, the more maintenance it requires. The Taurus SHO based Fusion should be plenty reliable, though. The 6 speed auto was a joint venture a few years ago and it holds up pretty well.

There is a new company trying to enter the market for LEO vehicles with a nice little TDI V6 but it's still concept. If it made it all the way, it would be awesome; something around 265/450.

20. powg

powg New Member

new era cop cars

Imo ....it all comes down to money. tax dollars = bang for your buck . Perps cant out run a radio....or a helicopter . Many remember the old school Dodges. 375 hp 440 ci ...150mph top speed , drum brakes , and the lifeline of all pursuits... tires/ handling . That reason alone I say this ...Damn they had balls. Today the Charger v-6 300 hp 140 mph, disc brakes ,speed rated tires ,special suspension pkg , and the greatest of all AIR CONDITIONING. Now if the new era cops could drive as good as the old school vets ....no perp gets away:D