New England .44 Mag

Discussion in 'General Rifle Discussion' started by Tyrsgodi, Apr 7, 2014.

1. Tyrsgodi

Tyrsgodi Member

I just got my hands on a Handi Rifle, single shot, in .44 Mag. What reputation for accuracy does this make have? Got one in .22 Hornet, also. It would seem to me that the solid locking platform could only be good for "one shot, one kill."

2. Mongo

Mongo Active Member Supporter

You might have to polish the internals to get a light smooth trigger. They are usually too stiff for me. If squeezing the trigger pulls me off target---it's too stiff.

3. hardluk1

hardluk1 Active Member

I have had one for some years. As covered rifle trigger pull is not great , maybe 8lbs . Some polishing could not hurt. I have a old redfield 2-7 variable on mine. I use the same load in it as my revolver, a 240gr nosler sp at 1648fps from the rifle so its good for an extra 150fps over the revolver . Its a good 2 1/2" 100 yarder but I might be better as its the worse rifle trigger I own , others are short and sharp and under 2lbs. Anyhow deer at 200 yards would not stand much of a chance. Try a boonie packers safari sling for humping it around. Hangs the rifle upright across your chest at the ready.

I need to do this trigger job or atleast how to get around in it if need be to do some polishing.
    [ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4T_8kge23wQ[/ame]

Last edited: Apr 8, 2014
  4. 303tom

303tom Well-Known Member

I would`nt mind having another one in .44 mag....................

5. primer1

primer1 Well-Known Member Supporter

I did a range report last fall on the h&r ultra slug in 20 guage. I was getting 1 3/16 at 100 yards, iirc. In this case, ammo make made all the difference in the world. This is pretty much the same gun, is it not?

6. Tyrsgodi

Tyrsgodi Member

Same genus, different species

There are almost as many Handi Rifle barrels as Thompson Contender. All break to breach load. I have .22 Hornet and .44 Magnum. That's about as extreme as it gets! :)

7. hardluk1

hardluk1 Active Member

8. TerryM

TerryM New Member

The only problem I have with my T/C Encore is what barrel do I want to use when I head out to the woods. Love them all and they all do the job at hand.

9. JTJ

JTJ Well-Known Member Supporter

I have the 357 mag. I just wish it came with iron sights and the lighter contour barrel. It just seems overweight. The triggers are a crap shoot. Both of my H&R's are decent but not great. You can call H&R and complain. They might just tune it for you if it is really bad. The 357 mag 158 grain factory loads are running a 1900 fps +/-. I like soft points rather than hollow points. I had zero problems with the 357 but my 22 mag had several problems. The QC was probably out to lunch. I called and complained but I did not get much of an answer or any offers to replace the rear sight which was loose and useless. Nothing wrong with the slot as I stuck an old Ruger sight in it for now.

10. Tyrsgodi

Tyrsgodi Member

Experience with .44

Anyone familiar with this caliber NEF? Is it accurate enough for one-shot accuracy outside 150 yards?

11. hardluk1

hardluk1 Active Member

What one shot accuracy? Hit the heart of a deer ?? Yes at 200 yards if you do your part and learn the bullets drop of your loads. You should have been flinging lead by now and know for your self. Don't skimp on ammo. buy something like this if you don't load your own.
    http://www.underwoodammo.com/44remingtonmagnum240grainbondedjacketedhollowpointboxof50.aspx
    https://www.buffalobore.com/index.php?l=product_detail&p=232
    or the 240gr sp or hp here- http://www.doubletapammo.net/index.php?route=product/category&path=125_195

Any of these should bump up to 1700fps from that barrel.

Last edited: May 4, 2014
  12. Tyrsgodi

Tyrsgodi Member

Thanks! I am currently in a situation with no long ranges nearby. But next year I will be back to a good 200 yard commercial range, and will be able to mix my own to suit. I just can't make myself trust the 25 yard results extrapolated ten times!

13. 303tom

303tom Well-Known Member

I don`t think I would stretch a .44 Mag. out to 150 yards, that big ol heavy bullet drops pretty quick !..............

14. hardluk1

hardluk1 Active Member

303tom You don't think ? Do you mean you don't know?? Have you bother to see what a can be done with a zero of 150 to 175 yards. You do know that guys kill deer at 200 yards with revolvers?? And for the reloaders hotter and heavier can get in to the lower end for 1900 to 2000fps with bullet weights of 275gr to 325gr. You do need to know your limits for sure.

15. 303tom

303tom Well-Known Member

NO, I do know, I have over a dozen Handi-rifles, one of which is a .357 Mag. even loaded to the max, & with a pointed bullet I will not push it past 150 yard, I shoot loads in my Handi-rifles that I can not show you here............So I do know what can be done with a rifle zeroed to 150 yards !..............

16. hardluk1

hardluk1 Active Member

Oh A 357 REM MAG , so at best your comparing a hotter loaded 180gr or 200 gr at 1600 to 1700fps compared to much heavier and faster loads. Uhmmmmm. So that lets you know the 44mag can't do beyond 150 yards in a rifle. Good to see you have real world experience with a 44 mag rifle . You don't hunt with slug guns and sabots slugs ether do you. Being a handi rifle owner I guess your a member at graybeard outdoors?? Go tell those guys a 44mags no good past 150yards. ha

17. 303tom

303tom Well-Known Member

Well I was`nt going to compare it to my .444, & beings I don`t have a .44 mag. the .357 mag. was as close as I could get, & I never ONCE said it could`nt do it. I believe what I said was, (I don`t think I would stretch a .44 Mag. out to 150 yards, that big ol heavy bullet drops pretty quick) I won`t stretch my .444 out much past 200 yards, you are the one that started the argument by telling me (I don`t know). Yes I Do Know !...........