New England 12ga Semi problem Slamfire?

Discussion in 'General Shotgun Discussion' started by Davejs, Apr 24, 2013.

1. Davejs

Davejs New Member

I am new here so first thanks for the any advise in advance. I picked up a used New England Arms 12 GA Semi Auto and found that the bolt will not stay back if gun is jossled in any way . Just shouldering it as though you were ready to shoot will let the bolt jump forward. I have 2 other semi auto shot guns, a Montefeltro 20ga and Charles Daly 20ga and neither have that issue. I plan to next download a manual for this and a sanitize cleaning even though it looks clean.

Thanks,

Dave

2. Virginian

Virginian Active Member

Does it fire when it does that if it's loaded? Just the bolt closing is not a slamfire.

3. Davejs

Davejs New Member

Have not attempted it with a shell, not brave enough to try that. I was told that the Verona 405 has the same parts as this gun that is just a Excel auto SA1-128.

4. 303tom

303tom Well-Known Member

It is just crap in around the bolt catch, clean it.................

5. kfox75

kfox75 Well-Known Member Supporter

This is where i would start. Most problems with a fun are a result of inadequate cleanings, and a buildup of crud on the inside of the action.

6. Davejs

Davejs New Member

Cleaned and removed a few burrs on the bolt mechanism still the same problem. It does appear as though the rounded edge on the bolt mechanism maybe the problem area. I will just bring it to the gunsmith for his inspection and decision. On the bright side it does not look as though it is a slam fire problem but the local Sporting Clays Range requires ALL BOLTS BE OPEN between stations.

7. Davejs

Davejs New Member

If the Verona 405 is the same gun I may need to get parts for one of them to repair this one.