New Combat Commander Colt 70 series

Discussion in '1911 Forum' started by Powersportgiant, Jun 28, 2012.

1. Powersportgiant

Powersportgiant New Member

Picked up this Colt Combat Commander today on satin nickle, beautiful gun, not even an idiot mark. Anyone know much about these? Value ? I liked it and bought it, did not even research it. Thanks !

Attached Files:

2. MrWray

MrWray New Member

That sure is a beautiful 1911, congrats

3. rjgnwdc

rjgnwdc New Member Supporter

Hell of a find there buddy I'd say $1,100 to $1275 she's a real beauty I'd buy one in a heart beat

4. Powersportgiant

Guess I did alright then, paid $945, no box or anything but still has the satin nickle finish Colt mag in it.

5. HOSSFLY

HOSSFLY New Member

You did fine- Not a steal but no worries about a return on your investment if you decide to sell :)

6. canebrake

canebrake New Member

The Series 70 Combat Commander in satin nickel is a scarce find! This finish brings a 10% premium on any condition 60% and above.

My old eyes are straining but if the S/N starts with 70SC72xxx its a 1979 build but if that number is 70SC77xxx it was made in 1980.

Either way you got an outstanding sample of the Commander and below book value if the gun appraises above 95%.

** mad envy **

Powersportgiant, want to make a quick $10? I'll even pay the shipping! :p

7. rjgnwdc

rjgnwdc New Member Supporter

Shoot I'll make it $11

8. Powersportgiant

Thanks Cane, I knew you would chime in ! Serial number is 77, so it's a 1980, this gun is 99% for sure, not a mark on it. I did not realize that the finish was so rare on these, glad to add it my collection !

9. canebrake

canebrake New Member

Damn you rjgnwdc, don't you have respect for your elders? [​IMG]

10. Powersportgiant

And i'll pass on the $10 and $11 gain, I appreciate the offer though !

11. canebrake

canebrake New Member

At 98% the book puts it at $1050 + 10% or $1,155 and the book is always conservative. IMHO, I think a 98% satin nickel Combat Commander could bring $1,500 easy with the right buyer. Your gun is a very desirable 32 year old gun to many of us Colt's aficionados!

Case in point, I have been looking for your gun for years! (Just ask any veteran FTF member what canebrake has been looking for; a Series 70 steel Combat Commander.) I could not find one in a condition anywhere near as kool as yours! I settled for a $1,300 Wiley Clapp Commander rubbed-on by Talo and put an additional $300 in it to make it mine.

Like I said;

** mad envy **

Kudos to you PSG and I hope some day to be able to shoot your Commander!

PM me if you ever get to Ft. Lauderdale. [​IMG] (make it fast, I may need a seeing-eye-dog to shoot it! :p)

[​IMG]

12. Powersportgiant

Wow, that's good to hear. Tell ya what Cane, IF and that's a big if I ever decide to sell it, I'll PM you my contact info.

13. canebrake

canebrake New Member

Well you will need to up the anti on this piece;

[​IMG]

May be a tough row to hoe! :p

I do love my 21st Century Series 70 Commander!

[​IMG]

14. BubbaRN

BubbaRN New Member

Nickel Finish Combat Commader

I have a Satin Finish Series 70 Combat Commander with a serial number 70SC74---. It has some wear on the finish from being in the holster for many years, less than a box of45 ACP ever fired through it. I was wondring what it might be worth. Unemployed, could use the $$$

15. Axxe55

Axxe55 The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

PSG, very good looking Commander! i too am envious of you. i'll even outbid Cane and RJG and go $15!:D

seriously, nice pistol and i doubt that you overpaid for it at the price you gave. i think it will give you many years of enjoyment and only increase in value.

16. canebrake

canebrake New Member

I'll give you $900 sight unseen for it if it's a true Combat Commander. (all steel)

17. Powersportgiant

I'll best that Cane ! And pay shipping !

18. Durangokid

Durangokid New Member

No Colt Commander 70 Series. The 70 Series 1911 pistols had finger bushings. The Commanders with 70 sieral numbers had solid bushings.:)

19. Powersportgiant

What are you saying ? Makes no sense ....

20. Quentin

Quentin New Member

Beautiful Combat Commander! Thanks for the pictures...