New Colt Python

Discussion in 'Revolver Handguns' started by tinbucket, May 6, 2020.

1. tinbucket

tinbucket Well-Known Member

I have a Colt Trooper with a smooth rounded face. Perfect for me with a light trigger pull in single action.
    It's been a while since I held an Old Python. I thought in the old version it too had a smooth trigger. Sent my Colt back to the factory many years ago and it came back with a grooved trigger. I didn't like it biting into the finger at all.
    I see in photos a deeply grooved trigger on the New Python.i
    Sent it back and they put the old one or another smooth faced trigger in the gun.
    Before I buy one I would like to hear from Owners or those who have shot the New Python about the trigger and other things about it. I do remember the trigger pull double action, in the Old Python was lighter and smooth as glass and the action locked up tight cocked or hammer down just like the Trooper.
    Also the hammer on the Old Python as well as the Trooper had a sharp cross hatch The New Python has a simple, as cast, cross serration and the photo showed a mold seem mark on the hammer spur. The photo is perhaps a year old. are the ones they produce now like that?

Last edited: May 6, 2020
    Rifling82 and bluez like this.
  2. Mercator

Mercator Well-Known Member

I only dry fired the new Python. I think modern gun industry has caught up with the best from the 60's-80"s. The classic Pythons of which I owned 2 had a stacking DA pull. The new Python is better in that regard, but is it worth my $1700 -no. Can't remember how the hammer spur was, it never bothered me, and honestly the whole point of a deluxe DA revolver is the DA pull. If you like to cock manually you can spend less than half the money for the exact same shooting quality.

Rifling82 and bluez like this.

3. Gatoragn

Gatoragn Well-Known Member Supporter

I have my LGS on the lookout for a 4.25 inch new Pgthon, I refuse to pay gunbroker prices for one.

Until then, I will fondle my Colt 3-5-7, same lock work as Python without the ribbed barrel and royal bluing. The 3-5-7 aka the poor man's Python.

Rifling82 likes this.
  4. Gatoragn

Gatoragn Well-Known Member Supporter

LGS has a 4.25 Python enroute.

Rifling82 likes this.
  5. S&W327

S&W327 New Member

I had the opportunity to handle the 6 inch 2020 Python and was very impressed with the trigger action. Very smooth with a trigger weight of 8-9 pounds. My Performance Center 327 is also very smooth but I'm guess the trigger weight to be 11-12 pounds which is a little disappointing to me. I expected it to be lower. Nonetheless, its still a great revolver and shoots very accurately even though the double action trigger is a little heavy.

Rifling82 likes this.