Firearms Talk banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Premium Member
12,995 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I like surplus firearms. Sometimes they are dang good deals, so I keep my eyes open for them. When these pistols came into the country about a decade ago, I passed on them because I had other firearms interest holding my attention. Recently I have been gathering in some Eastern Block handguns. I didn't get this one for what they sold for ten years ago, but I did get it for about half of what they are going for on the Bun Groper. It is not a real beauty, it has a lot of carry wear, but almost no internal wear. Carried a lot, shot a little; probably a Czech police pistol. I don't need pretty if it works.

CZ Vzor 70. A Walther PP styled firearm in .32 ACP or as the Europeans refer to it, 7.65 Browning. This little pistol has a lot going for it. Theoretically it is double/single action, but the double action trigger pull is horrific; really too bad to use in that mode for serious business. The single action trigger borders on nice. The sights are tiny and fixed, but this is an up-close and personal type of weapon. It has a robust safety system that could allow you to safely carry cocked and locked. It also has a de-cocker and a quite functional loaded chamber indicator, it is easy to see, or feel in the dark. De-cockers spook me on any handgun and I always de-cock pointed in a safe direction. It just gives me the willies to see a hammer drop when I know a round is chambered, so it is a feature I can take or leave. Given the choice on modern guns, I generally leave it. In building this pistol also put the damn magazine release where it is supposed to be, instead of on the butt, like the Europeans are subject to do. It is also a breeze to field strip, push a button and pull of the slide. (it was designed by the same brothers that followed up with the CZ-52)

Before I ordered this one up I read a lot of "reviews" on the web. They were about equally split between great and junk. I think that the people who thought they were junk were shooting with bad magazines, which will make any semi-auto handgun look like a dog. I have only run two boxes of ammo through it, all ball, but it functioned perfectly, no hick-ups. It is not a piece to win any target competitions, but it did shoot minute of man. I shot it out to about 50 yards, which would be beyond it's "effective" range, and made hits on a steel target most of the time (the misses were mine) .....Up closer I was pinging away fine.

.32 ACP is considered way too underpowered for defensive use on this side of the pond, but is still popular in Europe for that purpose. I guess Europeans are softer than Americans. I didn't buy it for a carry gun, but it would carry nicely. I do not know why, but in my holster pile, I had the correct Checz police holster for this gun so that was a nice bonus. The pistol and magazine also fit a Makarov holster like a glove.

This little pistol is a lot of fun to shoot, being all steel with the .32 round, there is no recoil to speak of so you can dump a magazine without losing your sight picture and put a pile of rounds on target in a hurry. I am way past needing any modern defensive firearm as I am well covered in that area, but it is always fun to bring something new into the mix.

All in all, I am tickled with this one.

DSCN2196.JPG

·
Registered
7,803 Posts
These have been on my ”buy one if I see one, for a reasonable price” list for a while.

Nice write up.

I‘m not a big fan of .32, but...I don't hate it, and the pistol is just kind of cool. I do like CZs.

·
Premium Member
12,995 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
These have been on my ”buy one if I see one, for a reasonable price” list for a while.

Nice write up.

I‘m not a big fan of .32, but...I don't hate it, and the pistol is just kind of cool. I do like CZs.
After my son shot mine, he ordered one for himself. These are good pistols and a hoot to shoot. I have better alternatives for carry, but I would not feel unarmed with one of these. CZ does and always has made good stuff.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts