New cleaning kit?

Discussion in 'Gunsmithing Forum' started by xcoreyyyx, Jun 10, 2012.

1. xcoreyyyx

xcoreyyyx New Member

I have almost run out of hoppes solution and lube so I have to pick up a new cleaning kit. I hear that one piece rods are much more preferred among most people. Anyone want to recommend a good cleaning kit for rifles, shotguns, and pistols? I have looked around and there are just so many choices with all kinds of oil and lubes and solutions and all of this stuff. Just wanted to know which are recommended or preferred by some of you. Also, what is a good oil to wipe down the inside and outside of the gun before storing it for a bit along with the every 2 month oiling for storage?

2. mountainman13

mountainman13 New Member

That's what I use. When its viable. Doesn't work too well for bp.

Last edited: Jun 10, 2012
  3. wrightbuiltarmory

wrightbuiltarmory New Member

I use everything from stack rods one piece rods bore snakes to the Otis kits
    Its mainly preference but call all agree make sure you use a guide rod bushing

4. bearrwe

bearrwe New Member

For my bench I don't use a kit. Like Mountain Man I use CLP, I have a series of one piece rods I all sizes with guides and multiple brushes and mops for every caliber I can find. In each of my tool boxes I have an old M-16 cleaning kit old school not Otis. Then a small Plano box of brushes , adapters etc. with a small bottle of CLP. I found I was not a one size fits all sort of guy.

5. xcoreyyyx

xcoreyyyx New Member

I have seen people mention these "guides". What do they do? I have always just used a pieced together rod depending how long the barrel is and only cleaning .22lrs and then the occasional cleaning of my sk where I just put more cloths down the barrel to make it seem thicker. and then a bore snake for my shotguns.

6. mountainman13

mountainman13 New Member

They help keep the rod centered to avoid damage to rifling and crown.

7. xcoreyyyx

xcoreyyyx New Member

Ok thanks. I will definitely check into them then. Anyone have a preference on boresnakes or rods for shotguns? I hate the boresnake I have because I have to wrap it around my hand a few times and try frantically to pull it through. I guess I could wrap it around a screwdriver after it is through the chamber and pull it through?

8. bearrwe

bearrwe New Member

I prefer to use one piece rods whenever possible. Multi section rods can come unscrewed or bend/break and possibly damage the barrel. I use multi section rod only if I'm away from my bench. Check out Brownells or other gun supply stores for a selection as brands and prices vary. As far as the snake I prefer to use a brush, then an old somewhat flattened brush with patches made from old cotton t shirts and lastly a mop with a drop of CLP.

9. wrightbuiltarmory

It really is hard to be a one size fits all too many different things out there
    Having a assorted mix of full length rods are great if you have space

10. wrightbuiltarmory

Cory your shotgun what do you use it for? Skeet trap? Or hunting?
    One thing that will help cleaning would be to have the bore polished.
    It doesn't remove metal from the bore but gives it a super slick surface. Makes cleaning easier and more accurate

11. xcoreyyyx

xcoreyyyx New Member

We shoot skeet all the time. Hunting occasionally. I am about to put 3 or 4 of them up along with like 6 or 7 .22s because they are just laying on my bed. lol. I have to make a gun rack and then oil them and put them away for awhile. I acquired a few too many, too quickly and boom I ran out of room to store them. I will be ordering from brownells though. The bores of the shotguns are really clean along with the shotguns themselves. I am thinking about getting rid of one or 2 of my mossbergs though. I hate such a lose action on it. It really annoys me when I am shooting. It just feels flimsy. Is it good to use the bristle brushes on rifles and shotguns? I always worry about scratching up the chamber and all. I guess the inside of the chamber doesn't really matter how scratched it is other then the bore on it. I just don't want to screw anything up. Here is the kind of bore brush I am speaking of.

http://www.brownells.com/.aspx/pid=27002/Product/BORE-BRUSHES

12. bearrwe

bearrwe New Member

Good choice these should help avoid scratches but I would suggest getting rods with guides.

13. xcoreyyyx

xcoreyyyx New Member

I will definitely get one piece rods and guides. Along with bore brushes, kroil, cold blue, and some type of oil and lube and whatever else I can think of at the time. I am just going to set up a whole new cleaning kit.

14. wrightbuiltarmory

As far as storage CLP work good
    I myself am a nylon brush fan
    I ordered 2 of every calibur that iosso offers

15. xcoreyyyx

xcoreyyyx New Member

Thanks, I will definitely be getting together quite a few things for quite a few different purposes soon.