New Cell Phone Suggestions

Discussion in 'The Club House' started by Vikingdad, Jun 18, 2013.

1. Vikingdad

Vikingdad New Member

My old flip phone is starting to give up the ghost, so I am looking for a new one, probably a smart phone. A friend of mine says I can get it without a data plan added to my cell phone bill and use free wi-fi (which is available all over the place around here). I am wondering which phones you all recommend. I am not willing to pony up the $$$ for an iPhone but would consider it if it is the best out there by a good margin (I hear its not) and I can get one cheap.

2. Hunterdan

Hunterdan New Member

Here's my take on it. If you are new to smartphones and not very tech savvy, an iPhone seems easier to pick up and use out of the box. If you are good with computers and like to tinker around, android phones are a better choice but they have a longer learning curve. I've got a Samsung galaxy s3. Its a great phone with a ton of options that I still haven't figured out and I've had it 6 months. I'm not sure about the data plan stuff, but on a new contract you may be forced to get a data plan.

3. KingGlamis

KingGlamis New Member

Check into the Galaxy S3. Great phone but also an incredible camera. Amazing how fast the burst mode will take pictures. Wife and I take pictures with the S3 while shooting. The muzzle flash in my avatar was taken with her S3.

4. stratrider

stratrider New Member

ive been a mac/iphone fan for some time. I recently purchased a Galaxy S3 for use here in Nigeria. and I like it better than my iphone 4s that I use stateside. Better graphics, camera and Android apps are as good as Apples offerings. I'm due an upgrade thru Verizon and I'm really looking hard at the S4. Argueably the best phone out there. Give Android phones a hard look...

5. trip286

trip286 New Member

Data plan...count on having to get one. You may get lucky, but I doubt it.

Phones: Samsung's galaxy series is quite popular. I have nothing but trouble with mine, but it's been sorely abused. I punted it across a parking lot in the rain. I was running to my car and it slipped out of my hand and hit my foot mid stride.

I used to have the iPhone. I MUCH prefer android these days. I find it easier to use with more controls on the UI.

6. Overkill0084

Overkill0084 Active Member

You will want a data plan at some point. Depending on the charity of others for your connectivity is no way to operate. Free WiFi is often worth exactly what you paid for it.
    Android vs. iPhone? See Mac vs PC for much the same discussion. iPhone has a shorter learning curve, but like the Mac, you pay a premium for that. IMHO, the iPhone operating system is more stable, but Android has cooler hardware.
    The Samsung Galaxy phones are pretty good. My wife has an S2, while somewhat outdated these, it still works fine. You don't need the latest greatest models unless they do something you specifically want.
    Of course, you could always just go find a new flip phone. They are still out there. Our office just got a new one a few months ago. Our ancient Motorola was so old that the latest network (Sprint) update rendered it useless.

7. AR10

AR10 New Member

I have time on both iPhone and Android. Both are great systems. I currently have an LG Intuition, the largest cell phone. It is also a tablet. Great for watching video, or reading.

I keep mine in a flip case, that doubles as my wallet. Yes it is big, but not also having to carry a wallet makes it a good choice for me.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 18, 2013
  8. winds-of-change

winds-of-change The Balota's Staff Member

I like my "non smart phone" but they are getting harder and harder to find.

9. deadsp0t

deadsp0t New Member

iPhone IMO.. More professional apps, iTunes, App Store.. Better software..
    The iPhone 4S can be had for pennies on the dollar with a contract too..

10. TruggieTex

TruggieTex New Member

I have the Droid Razor Max...

Dual processor, awesome battery life, great pics and video....
    Can do it all...all at the same time.
    Great platform, great features, WAY better than wife's IPhone...IMO.

11. DFlynt

DFlynt New Member

Just give me a cell phone that goes ring ring, it doesn't need to be smarter than me :D

Just out of curiosity any of you smartphone people have a ballistics app that you use when you are shooting?

12. orangello

orangello New Member

I was given an iphone 3 or 4 for a birthday and took it back. I just didn't want a phone with such gadgetry. Later, I figured out that the phone part of the iphone is easy enough to mentally separate from the games and such. I like having the iphone 4s now. I like having nicer games while waiting in line and having the access to the weather channel and yellow pages and freakin LOVE the free app Units that converts from one unit of measure to another (money, distance, volume, etc). There is also an app for annoying my cats or calling coyotes (haven't tried the yotes yet). I also like the categorizable music on Pandora.

I pay about $60-65 per month and never have overages, but I don't make a lot of calls and don't stream much video.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Motorola_Fone My "I don't want a smart phone" phone. It still works but sucks for texting.

13. Yunus

Yunus New Member

What carrier? Verizon requires a data plan to use a smartphone even if you dont want data from them.

Used Samsung galaxy s3 is probably the best bang for the buck right now.

14. stratrider

stratrider New Member

I don't think that any phone is smarter than you are. It can however, help you with a lot of day to day things that you can't really do alone. I have several apps on my iPhone and Galaxy S3 that help me at work. I can level out my ship using any one of several "bubble level" apps. There is a Ship's Medical app for injured/sick peeps. Code of Federal Regs apps that I can throw up at inspectors when they are shaking me down during inspections (coasties :p ) Ballistics apps? There are sooo many to choose from. I have/had a few on both platforms. Some ammo manufacturers even offer free ballistics apps.

15. DrumJunkie

DrumJunkie New Member

The only way while on a plan to not add data and use a smart phone will be to stay on your current plan and buy a phone outright. And that wont work in you are on a network that uses CDMA phones (doesn't take a SIM card). I'm a big Motorola fan when it comes to phones and on Verizon s I went with the Droid Razr M. The biggest selling point for me at the time was price and battery life. Smart phone batteries go quick! I use mine pretty regular and don't have to charge but every other day at the most. One of the better larger screen smart phones I've seen is the LG Spectrum 2. It's a bit big for my needs but the screen, battery, and software are pretty nice. My wife has it and loves it. I make fun of it because it's HUGE! I tell h er I'm going to hire a little immigrant child to carry it for her.

If you are using a prepaid like straight-talk or the like do whatever you can to not use their phones. They are not near the quality even if they look the same. Most are refurbished and not with OEM parts. If possible buy the SIM and go out and buy a phone outright.

Last edited: Jun 18, 2013
  16. rockratt

rockratt Active Member Lifetime Supporter

I have an Iphone but am not real fond of it. With that said I think they are easier to get the hang of if you are not smart phone savy. Consider me old school I guess because my first was a Blackberry and loved it.

17. BZ3

BZ3 New Member

I have the iPhone 5, I like it.. I think it's more user friendly and I never liked my friend's andriods.. I found them confusing and more complexed than they needed to be..

18. dango

dango Well-Known Member Lifetime Supporter

A new phone that come-eth with. 12 year old to show me how it work-eth...! :D

19. TruggieTex

TruggieTex New Member

You know that's right!

Bought a new laptop a couple of weeks ago with Windows 8....kids had it figured out same day! Wife and I are still working on it....

For all their shortcomings and opportunities, this new generation comes "pre-wired"!!!

20. partdeux

partdeux Well-Known Member

I have an iPhone 4s and looking for an upgrade. Several friends have suggested BlackBerry Z10