New cc piece

Discussion in 'General Handgun Discussion' started by PHILatDCMFirearmsSC, Jul 7, 2012.

1. PHILatDCMFirearmsSC

PHILatDCMFirearmsSC New Member

Im looking to get a new concealed carry piece in a 40 cal.. any recommendations? Thinking bout XDM 3.8.

Only 9mm im looking at is the sig 938... or is it 939?.... its tge 9 mm version of the p238

2. vincent

vincent New Member

Walther PPS...slim profile, sweet shooter, super concealable...

...only drawbacks are less capacity than the XD's and you don't get a bunch of goodies with it...mags, holsters...

Just a suggestion...:cool:

3. PHILatDCMFirearmsSC

actually my dads wife has the PPS in 9mm it does shoot great didnt know how the recoil would be on the 40 though

4. Dragonheart

Dragonheart New Member

I personally wouldn't get a .40. I like my Walther PPS in 9mm for compact carry. The Sig P-938 should also be a good choice for a sub-compact

5. PHILatDCMFirearmsSC

only thing i dont like about 9mm is the velocity on the round.. would rather not have to worry about where my round goes after defending myself from a perp.

although i always know my target and backstop id rather have less to worry about

6. clr8ter

clr8ter New Member

I'm planning to get the Sig P938 as soon as i can find one. Looking for either the Blackwood, or rosewood. So far, nothing. Even the Sig Rep I talked to recently in person seemed to have no idea when they were going to be out. Seems like they're still getting their new facility up & running in Portsmouth, NH, and they might be making them there, he says.......

7. PHILatDCMFirearmsSC

i love the mini 1911 feel to it and have a p238 in the extreme with the g 10 grips
    sweet little carry gun in my opionion but i live on the beach and it costs a little much to bring in the sand got a p3AT for that purpose

8. Don Davis

Don Davis New Member

I know you asked about .40 cal, but I like .45 or 9mm better - JMHO

I think you can get these guns in .40 too.

I'd suggest you look at the S&W M&P 9c or shield.

Both excellent guns.

Here's my 9c

[​IMG]

Very small and light for a 12+1 gun in 9mm -

I like the external safety on a "striker" fired concealed carry gun.

Wonderful shooting gun.

:cool:

9. PHILatDCMFirearmsSC

ive always been drawn to the M&P ive shot both the 9 and 40 in full sized i really like the feel of the gun and the outright shooting capabilities of them also thanks for your input

10. Dragonheart

Dragonheart New Member

Yes, over penetration is a very real worry in just about any caliber if the right bullet and load is not selected. This is especially true of the 147 grain 9mm bullets I have personally tested. As far as velocity, a .40 will easily exceed 1200FPS with a 155 grain bullet, which is very capable of over penetration. The .40 is only a little over one millimeter larger in diameter than than a 9mm bullet with a similar mass and velocity.

I personally don't see any ballistic advantage of the .40 and I find the biting recoil much more unpleasant than either the 9mm or 45 ACP. I realize that others will have a different opinion, but as a long time handloader, competitive shooter, plinker and instructor that's just my opinion.

11. Bennett

Bennett New Member

Sig P290. Great CC weapon. Awesome lil 9 that shoots like it's big brothers!! Comes with laser, 6rd & 8rd mags for $525!!!!

12. AIKIJUTSU

AIKIJUTSU New Member

I live in SC, and have a couple of .40's - A Taurus PT-940 and a Stoeger 8040 Cougar, plus some .45's. The Cougar is my gun of choice whenever I can wear enough clothes to keep it from printing. It is 5.5 inches tall, and the hard part about concealing it is that if I wear a shirt that is not really loose, the butt sticks out and "prints". The PT-940 is only 5 inches high, and is much easier to conceal, but the PT-940's are pretty hard to find. I think Stoegar has a "compact" version of the Cougar, which might work well for you.

13. JTJ

JTJ Well-Known Member Supporter

An lgs had a 938 for about 2 days. I would like to shoot one before I jumped. I really like my 238.

14. Dragonheart

Dragonheart New Member

It appears that the only difference between the size of the two Sigs is the 9mm P938 is 4 tenths of an inch longer, otherwise the dimensions are the same as the P238. My .380 P238 is a HD model, which weighs 20 ounces; the standard P938 weighs in at 16 ounces, so going from 380 to 9mm you know there will be more felt recoil. I love my 238 and I don't have a problem with the .380 ballistics, but the 9mm would give you more bullet choices. Since Sig says there will be 5 different models I suspect a P938 HD model will be coming out, which should be more pleasant to shoot even if it is 4 ounces heaver. At the present a P238 is $479 at Academy, which is about $200 less than what a P938 is going for.

15. russ

russ New Member

I have the M&P 40c as a CC gun (mine does not have the thumb safety). It shoots well and has never failed to work regardless of what it's being fed. Plus I really like the ergo's of the M&P over the XD. The M&P just fits my hand so much better. With the flat bottom mag it conceals well in an IWB holster and fairly well OWB. Having 10 rounds of Gold Dots with me is a comforting feeling.

No question the XD is a fine firearm, but I prefer the M&P.

Last edited: Jul 8, 2012
  16. Dragonheart

Dragonheart New Member

The XDM & M&P are more in a compact category like the smaller Glocks. The Sig P238 & P938 are much lighter and smaller. When it comes to concealed carry a one inch difference in height and length is a big difference.

17. Bennett

Bennett New Member

image-873485317.jpg

I'm telling ya, the Sig P290 is awesome! You should give it a look.

18. PHILatDCMFirearmsSC

ive looked at the 290 also... choices choices lol...

ps your laser is on...lol

19. AIKIJUTSU

AIKIJUTSU New Member

Hey, just get one of everything, and two or three of the really good ones. :)
    It'll really help the economy, too.

20. PHILatDCMFirearmsSC

if only i had a never ending gun fund..... DONATIONS ANYONE??? lol