new carry gun suggestions

Discussion in 'Semi-Auto Handguns' started by rurak, Dec 21, 2012.

1. rurak

rurak New Member

So ive been carrying an lc9 for a while but it just doesn't fit my hand very well. I like the feel of the m&p shield but I am asking you guys for some other suggestions. I like 1911's but I cant conceal a full size. Thanks in advance for your input.

2. sdiver35

sdiver35 New Member

I would recommend the shield. My wife has one and I am about to sell my Sig 938 and carry a shield. The 938 is just a little too small for my hands.

3. Donn

Donn Active Member

Shield's my EDC, highly recommend it. Your only trouble might be finding one.

4. kytowboater

kytowboater Active Member

They have them on armslist in my area....... @ $700 a piece! WTH!

5. John_Deer

John_Deer New Member

With ammo prices jumping I would stay with the 9mm for the time being. You can find 9mm ammo at reasonable prices. My brother prefers a 45 acp. He is a casual shooter who usually picks up his ammo at Academy or Walmart. He hears about the great deals I get on 9mm ammo so he called me in search of ammo. I almost had a cow! I can buy full house 357 ammo for the price of 45 acp ammo.

6. Donn

Donn Active Member

Glad I've already got one. I like it, but not that much.

7. Stillersfan

Stillersfan New Member

I have both and would suggest the Shield..

8. rurak

rurak New Member

My lgs has them for around 400 $. Not in stock but guaranteed price

9. ctshooter

ctshooter New Member

Look into the Springfield xds. The grip of the gun is very much like that of a 1911. I bought one a few months ago and am very happy with my purchase.

10. rurak

rurak New Member

I forgot to mention I'm in the people's republic of Massachusetts! I think Springfield doesn't comply in mass

11. mountainman13

mountainman13 New Member

12. Olympus

Olympus New Member

Recently sold a Shield to a friend and I was unimpressed with the quality. The frame looked like cheaply molded plastic. The slide fit to the frame was also pretty poor in my opinion. I could hold the gun up and see daylight in several places between the frame and slide looking from the side.

If you are considering a 1911, take a look at the Colt Defender in 9mm.

13. rurak

rurak New Member

Is the defender full size? What is the price point?

14. Olympus

Olympus New Member

Defender is a compact size. Check Buds Gun Shop and Gunbroker for prices. Or call some local gun shops.

15. rurak

rurak New Member

Ok. Thank you

16. scrops

scrops New Member

Lawmen's in Raleigh, NC sells them for 324.99. When they'll actually have one in stock I don't know, but they're taking orders at that price.

17. partdeux

partdeux Well-Known Member

EDC is XDM9-c

I'd buy a shield if I didn't already have two of these.

18. BeyondTheBox

BeyondTheBox New Member

Why? Is it size only, the shield is taller which allows for more fingers on the grip?

Or are you just one of those that actually like DAO triggers for some reason?

I could never fathom trading a gorgeous piece of SAO perfection like a Sig 938 for a plastic hunk of DAO blugh of any maker, ever.

Granted of the DAO trigger types I do like S&W as much as Glock and Ruger SR series, but that's just insane to me. A longer trigger stands in complete opposition to the concept of self protection.

I'd love to know more about why some people, two in this thread alone, would do such a thing...

19. Daoust_Nat

Daoust_Nat Well-Known Member Supporter

I have the shield and it is my carry gun unless I am going to pocket carry, when I use my S&W snubbie. The shield is comfortable to hold, manageable recoil, I like the trigger and thin enough to be an easily concealed carry. It is a little smaller then my SR9c, a little lighter, and a more comfortable carry.

I have liked the Shield since I first shot it. I was not looking for a gun when a LGS sponsored a come and shot one sale, I liked it immediately and bought it. I did not get it for the prices some are seeing, it was, and remains in Orlando $449, but I am very happy with it.

That said, a buddy has the Sig 938 and really likes that.

20. rurak

rurak New Member

What kind of a holster do you use for the shield?