new carry firearm

Discussion in 'Concealed Carrying & Personal Protection' started by markhk, Jul 31, 2009.

1. markhk

markhk New Member

Hi,
    Just thought I'd relay my experience in changing my carry firearm. I have been carrying my .38 special in a fanny pack (I'm old and no one would guess I'm packing) for about 3 months now. I just got my Velcro holster for my XDcompact and began carrying that. It was really strange to switch from the double action revolver to a cocked and chambered semi automatic. I know safety features of the XD, but the immediacy of the XD ratcheted up my awareness of safety requirements of carrying. I cannot explain the impact of this switch. Two weeks ago I shot both guns and realized that shooting the .38 as a single action had that same immediacy, so I think it's the trigger pull that has such an impact. The rule of "never put your finger on the trigger until you are ready to shoot" has a completely new meaning to me. Also acquiring more training in moving and shooting in different scenarios is a must.

Maybe I'm being oversensitive. What do you think?

2. matt g

matt g New Member Supporter

Safety should always be first and foremost. I see no problem with your new train of thought.

3. Mark F

Mark F New Member Supporter

You can never be "too" ready. I beleive you are doing the right thing....

4. layton

layton New Member

Every time I carry my XD to or from the car, or every time I pick it up. I always check that the thumb safety is engaged, in fact I do it automatically now without a conscious effort. That is one thing I like about the XD. I also got my Taurus sub compact last Thursday, but wouldn't you know it, I am once again waiting on the approval, and it also has a thumb safety on it.I cannot carry on my person, still waiting on the license, but it is in the car with me when I go some where all the time now. It sits on a shelf atmy desk and when I get up to go some where, I automatically carry it with me, getting almost 2nd nature now.

Layton

5. WDB

WDB New Member

Mark,
    Your not being oversensitive, I carry a S&W M&P 45 in condition one (ready to fire). The pistol has no external safety. As always finger on the trigger means you are about to fire no matter how many/few external safeties on the firearm.

As always it comes down to practice, practice and even more practice. Carrying a firearm comes with huge responsibility. I think you are on track in understanding the inportance of firearm change. Different pistol and different carry style.

Good post

6. gorknoids

gorknoids New Member

Due to an earlier admonishment on this forum which went something like "If you don't feel confident carrying a firearm ready to fire, you have no business carrying in the first place", I now carry Mexican (In a holster) in Condition 1.
    I still haven't shot my Johnson off, so it seems to be working.

7. Mark F

Mark F New Member Supporter

That's the way its got to be Layton. Because the ONE TIME you don't have your gun... will be the one time you'll NEED IT.

I have my CHL, and it's nice... but when I didn't have it, it certainly didn't keep me from protecting myself or family. All my CHL did was allow me to "legally" carry inside appropriate places.