New Bushmaster M4/A3

Discussion in 'AR-15 Discussion' started by Blaine, Mar 23, 2011.

1. Blaine

Blaine New Member

Just got this from CTD yesterday. It is a tack driver.

This is my first AR. Anything I should do first?

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. DrumJunkie

DrumJunkie New Member

Clean it and shoot it..A lot!

3. Sniper03

Sniper03 Supporting Member Supporter

Blaine,

Nice Rifle! The following is the key to keep it running good and in good operating condition. *Keep the Bolt Carrier Group good and clean inside and out and the carbon off the tail of the Blot and use a good lubricant on the Bolt Carrier Group. Should look a little wet when you have completed lubricating it. If you use something like Break-Free do not forget to shake it up before applying it. It has a tendency to separate if it sets on a shelf for a while. G-96 is excellent stuff. The only thing I do not recommend is Rem Oil. Not that it is a bad product but not for the AR or M-16 type rifle system. It is too light and cooks off when the heat range increases. Also there are other good lubes. As well as 1 Qt of Mobile #1 Synthetic 15W50 mixed with 1/2 Qt. Of Mobile #1 Synthetic Transmission Fluid will make a quart and a half of good quality weapons lube. We have used it at the Academy for some 8 years now. By the way don't buy that crap about the lube doing it all "cleaning and lubricating". Use a good cleaning solvent like Shooters Choice, Hoppe's #9 and other good solvents to clean. Let it have time to work and then lube with a good lube. Nice Rifle does it have a 1:7 or a 1:9 twist barrel? Enjoy and have a great time!

4. WoodysKJ

WoodysKJ New Member

BUT, Be sure to Read and Understand all of the instructions FIRST!!!

Yeah RIGHT, Lock and Load Dude!!!!!

5. Blaine

Blaine New Member

Thanks for the for the advice.

It is a 1:9 twist.

6. Quentin

Quentin New Member

Good looking rifle, Blaine!

7. rjgnwdc

rjgnwdc New Member Supporter

Great rifle

Great choice you'll find it to be a "real" Tack driver I did with mine:D

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

8. Sniper03

Sniper03 Supporting Member Supporter

Blaine,

That is a good twist rate. Your rifle will shoot the 55 gr rounds very well and up to probably the max of 69 gr. Anything heavier will not produce great accuracy since heavier rounds need a little faster twist like the 1:7.
    Man have a great time and enjoy that new piece!

9. lancelot86

lancelot86 New Member

I hate that they give ya a huge shotgun looking case with that small of a gun. One of my buddies has the exact same model. I'd start with a good sling, optic, and flip up rear sight.

10. ktmboyz

ktmboyz New Member

Congratulations !! Thats a nice looking sur.. have fun a shoot the s**t out of it, they are a ton of fun and very addictive.. Be very careful though they seem to multiply without warning:eek:

11. Quentin

Quentin New Member

Funny story about that oversize case, my buddy wanted to store his Bushmaster in my safe over the winter so he brought it over LOCKED in the case and left it with my wife. When I got home no key of course so he had to come back to open it. He really thought I had room for that case in my safe! (Actually I could have wiggled it out of the case even with the lock but figured he should open it.)

12. lancelot86

lancelot86 New Member

Haha. The thing is HUGE. I don't understand it.

13. Blaine

Blaine New Member

When they said it comes in a hard case I thought cool. When I got it I was like damn maybe they shipped me a M14 not M4. lol

First thing I am going to do is get a Tactical gun case for it. Oh and order some mags.

It is better than the cardboard box that my Century WASR-10 came in.

14. Blaine

Blaine New Member

I have been getting alot of flack about getting a BushMaster. People saying they are low grade and not a good rifle. I always thought Bushmaster and Colt were good rifles and they have been making them longer than anyone.

It seems every time I buy a gun I have some Know it all telling me that I should have gotten something different.

Is BM good or not?

Last edited: Mar 26, 2011
  15. Quentin

Quentin New Member

This opens a can of worms. How good do you need it to be? How much did you pay for the quality you got? Hard to answer these questions.

I won't say BM is low grade but you don't want to pay the same for one when you could have gotten BCM and others. Colt is excellent but you will pay more for their quality.

Myself, I wouldn't buy Bushmaster or the M4 profile barrel. My buddy has one, it works fine for what he uses it for and he's happy. If you're happy don't worry what others think. But don't expect everyone to rave over your rifle when they see it at the range, most will like it but some won't. You can live with it or maybe a year from now decide to upgrade. Either way is ok.

16. mjkeat

mjkeat New Member

The first thing is how much did you pay for it. BM has quality control problem. They also half-ass some things. Most of the things can be fixed some cant. If you picked the rifle up for a decent price you might still be ok. If you paid their normal asking price you could have had a much better rifle for the same money.

My first AR was a LWRC. I paid 2k for it w/o optic. Talk about shock and disappointment when I read they had carrier tilt problems. I believe they have fixed this problem but its to late for me. I guess they sell a one piece carrier kit, but its almost $400. My point is do research first. Google the crap out it. Sometimes I'm up until 4am researching future purchases. My wife hates it, but hey. You'll find the majority of the time you can find a higher quality firearm for equal or less money.

17. Blaine

Blaine New Member

I paid $880.

Bushmaster M4/A3 Patrolman
    16" M4 m203 cutout
    1:9 twist 6 grooves and lands
    30 round mag
    A3 upper receiver with picatinny rail and removeable carry handle
    aircraft aluminum upper and lower
    Manganese phosphate coated
    hard anodized mil-spec finish
    6 position buttstock

18. Quentin

Quentin New Member

MJ is absolutely right and I would say start your research now for your next AR. Take a year, whatever, but google, read stickies here and elsewhere, formulate good questions in your head then ask for answers. But don't spend money now except for ammo. Go out and shoot your Bushy a lot. Maintain it, get at least 1,000 rounds through it. It'll work and if it does have some glitches fix them and keep shooting. Don't make any drastic decisions for at least six months. Almost any decision you make before doing the research you'll regret later, except buying ammo and learning your weapon and sights.

19. Quentin

Quentin New Member

Well for $880 you could have done better especially if you built it, but don't worry about it now. I just finished a Daniel Defense build for $850 including iron sights, sling and magazine. To me it's a better rifle, to you maybe it's not.

20. Blaine

Blaine New Member

Thanks for the reply's.

It will be fine for what I want and need it for. I just wanted to see what you guys thought about it. I was looking for a quaility entry level AR that was good right out of the box.