new bushmaster, does this look rite

Discussion in 'AR-15 Discussion' started by rgv_ar15, Jul 5, 2012.

1. rgv_ar15

rgv_ar15 New Member

Brand new bush. never shot. Looks like the tube is just barley holding the buffer retainer. Would the factory do this. I'll try to post pic later, I'm on my Droid phone. What do yall think. Thanks.

Last edited: Jul 5, 2012
  2. sputnik1988

sputnik1988 Active Member

Yup, we're definitely gonna need pics.

3. Jpyle

Jpyle New Member

The tube should capture the retainer pin just enough to keep it from popping out. If it appears loose then remove the stock, being careful not to lose the takedown pin spring and detent, and tighten the tube. You can use a wrench on the flat cutout if it is beyond hand tight.

To answer your question, yes the factory can do this. Bushmaster of late has lost the QC of the older Bushy's. Always give a new rifle a thorough going over to check parts installation, sight indexing, gas key staking, fit and finish. Also recommend a function test of all fire control and safety parts before any ammo goes into the chamber.

4. rgv_ar15

rgv_ar15 New Member

The profile pic is the best I could do for now. What do yall think. Thanks

5. Quentin

Quentin New Member

Can't be sure from your avatar. Almost can make it out and it looks all right but no way to be sure. We need a close up.

If it is a problem maybe you can get the receiver extension to turn another 360. Or call it time to buy a milspec receiver extension and hope it fits better. If the hole is drilled improperly in the receiver this isn't gonna be fun, maybe you could grind down the RE to get it to turn another 360 without binding on the retaining pin.

Last edited: Jul 5, 2012
  6. pagj17

pagj17 New Member

Rgv to post in the thread using the app. , click new reply then attachments.

7. purehavoc

purehavoc New Member

Rvg. Push the detention down and take the buffer out and take a pic. If the tube is holding the detention down it will be fine. If the tube is in to far it may not be straight. It just needs to keep it from popping out by it self

8. fsted2a

fsted2a Active Member

Bushmaster put a timing "lip" on their carbine buffer tubes http://www.bushmaster.com/products.asp?cat=13 to avoid the issue. As some folks have pointed out to me in the past, "out of the box" may not mean new, and the parts may not be all Bushmaster. If it didn't come in a hard plastic case, you might want to talk to your LGS. Not saying Bushmaster is the best in the Biz, just saying that something peculiar may have happened between the factory and you.

9. rgv_ar15

rgv_ar15 New Member

finally got on a real computer, here is a better pic of what i have been talking about. looks like the tube is just holding the retainer by a corner. what do yall see. had to change color to get it to post, HD pic was to large for post. i think you can still see the tube just catching the retainer.

Attached Files:

10. PHILatDCMFirearmsSC

PHILatDCMFirearmsSC New Member

looks to me like the tube needs another full rotation to be in the right spot.
    from what ive seen with bushmaster is the little nipple on the buffer retainer should fit in the groove shown on the tube. hope this helps

11. fsted2a

fsted2a Active Member

Yeah, I think you are right. When stuff like this gets past QC, it gives all AR's a bad name. I have bushy products on my AR's, and I don't have a problem with them. Good thing you caught this before you put too many rounds down range.