New build parts list

Discussion in 'AR-15 Discussion' started by DrewNJNC, Jan 19, 2012.

1. DrewNJNC

DrewNJNC New Member

Ok, I'm starting my first build and wanted to get your feedback on a few parts. I was wanting to go Vltor MUR upper on a Spikes or DD lower. Magpul UBR stock. YHM fluted barrel and YMH specter length diamond series hand guard. Geissele SSA-E trigger. Thoughts?

2. AgentTikki

AgentTikki New Member

First I gotta ask, wutcha gonna use it fo?

How far you gonna shoot it?

I see you choosing lotsa high end components, then I see YHM. The barrel and bolt are the most important part of ur build, why skimp with a middle of the road manufacturer?

3. mjkeat

mjkeat New Member

Preach on. That's a lot of quality to throw away on a YHM barrel.

4. DrewNJNC

DrewNJNC New Member

Thanks for the YHM comments. Glad I asked. I'd be using it for target shooting/home defense, but A couple cop buddies and I wanna take some classes like an exclusion to Thunder Ranch or Prairie Dog hunting to cap off other hunting trips, etc.

5. AgentTikki

AgentTikki New Member

Get a good barrel, prolly chrome lined for your intended use.

Figure out what kind of ammo you wanna defend the homestead with, and plan a twist rate accordingly.

Get a good bolt, and build it.

If you're gonna goto a carbine class, make sure you have adequately run enough rounds through it (1000+) and make sure you have spares for your bolt/extractor/firing pin etc. Hell if your gonna fly out for a carbine class, you may well need a backup gun, just in case.

YHM makes good stuff, for a good price. But from what I've seen, its middle of the road, not innovative, and they tend to be heavy. If you are taking a multiple day class, and doing hundreds of presentations, I would not want a 9# rifle. I'd much prefer a LW.

The UBR stock is one of the heaviest out there. Its really good for for balancing heavy front ends, like on suppressed rifles, but can be cumbersome. I know it looks really frikin cool (I want one) but I personally haven't found a use for one in my collection.

The SSA-E is a pretty light pull. Its not a combat trigger. Stick with a SSA or SDC or G2S (if you can find one) for home duty. BUT the SSA-E would made a fine varmiting trigger imo.

The only issue I see is that a HD/SD/SHTF build doesn't share too much with a Varmiting build. You could just have a more tactical upper for HD/SD, and then swap a longer, scoped varmiting upper, with a more suitable barrel, but you'd be stuck with a combat trigger or a target trigger. Well if you only plan on hit Pdogs under 200 yards, I think any decent AR will work fine. But if you're gonna try and hit a lil bugger at 300+ you need sub moa ammo and some glass.

6. DrewNJNC

DrewNJNC New Member

Great feedback, thank you!

7. DrewNJNC

DrewNJNC New Member

How are PSA's products?

8. lunarmanathome

lunarmanathome New Member

9. AgentTikki

AgentTikki New Member

I don't have any personal experience with them..... yet.

But they have all the right specs, for real good prices. Imo the best deal out there right now.