New build, mostly BCM

Discussion in 'AR-15 Discussion' started by Quentin, May 2, 2012.

1. Quentin

Quentin New Member

Well it's way past time to start a new build. Especially since I bought the stripped lower back in August! :p

And that lower is from Valkyrie Arms which I understand is made by JD Machine of San Diego. It looks good, is machined nicely and was worth the $100 at my LGS. I put in a Daniel Defense LPK and a BCM receiver extension kit with H buffer. The stock is an ACS I bought used for $75. It's been sitting around way, way too long all lonely by itself on the shelf! :eek:

From Wikipedia:
    "Norse mythology, a valkyrie (from Old Norse valkyrja "chooser of the slain") is one of a host of female figures who decides who falls and dies in battle."

Valkyrie left
    [​IMG]

Valkyrie right
    [​IMG]

I'll put up a picture of the completed lower later.

Yesterday I ordered a BCM 16" LW midlength upper with BCG, Gunfighter 4 charging handle and MOE handguards. I have an MBUS Gen 2 for the BUIS. BCM just sent me an email that everything shipped but I haven't got a tracking number yet.

This AR will basically be a clone of my Daniel Defense build from the winter of 2010/11 but I'm so happy with that rifle it makes sense to have another. I also want to see first hand the difference between DD and BCM.

I was very tempted to try PSA but I know myself and later would beat myself up for not spending a little more for what I really wanted. My son-in-law will be building soon and probably will go PSA so we'll be able to compare anyway.

Anyway, more pics to follow! :D

Last edited: May 3, 2012
  2. Chandler51

Chandler51 New Member

Very cool, Quentin. One of the better looking rollmarks I've seen.

3. BenLuby

BenLuby New Member

That looks nice, Quentin. Mine is, as you know, a BCM/PSA hybrid, and it is a sweet set up. I think you'll be thrilled with the BCM. Did you get the BCM FA BCG?

4. Quentin

Quentin New Member

Thanks guys! I'm looking forward to getting it out to the range next weekend. I hope it'll work out as well as yours Ben. And yes, it's the BCM FA BCG. I was surprised that everything was in stock considering how tough that's been lately. And BCM got it shipped in less than a day after I placed the order.

5. jasonlarue1013

jasonlarue1013 New Member

Just put a few orders in myself last night!! Lol congrats!

6. BenLuby

BenLuby New Member

That is one thing about BCM that I really like. They ship quickly.

7. JonM

JonM Moderator

im looking to get a 16 lightweight midlength in a few weeks. good to know there is little waiting.

very nice shooter there looking forward to the range report

8. ZombieKiller83

ZombieKiller83 New Member

Welcome to the BCM family Quentin, you're gonna like the way she shoots i guarantee it :p

9. AgentTikki

AgentTikki New Member

Ungh. Everyones getting new toys but me....... T_T

10. Quentin

Quentin New Member

Ah c'mon this is just my third AR. I'm a piker compared to some of you guys! :p Well I do have a Colt M4 .22lr so 3-1/2.

11. Gloves

Gloves New Member

Valkyrie arms in Milpitas, CA is where i do my FFL transfers and pickup the occasional accessory.

Can't wait to see the pictures of your upper when it comes in.

12. Quentin

Quentin New Member

Just took pics of the complete lower... gonna be another plain jane carbine.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

13. BenLuby

BenLuby New Member

Quentin, that is a sharp looking lower bud. Uber-cool lower roll mark, really sharp and menacing stock...You built a solid looking lower.

14. BenLuby

BenLuby New Member

15. Quentin

Quentin New Member

Thanks Ben. I like the way it looks, evil, black and menacing! I ordered a Magpul QD attachment for the ACS and had a spare Noveske QD end plate so used it here. Gotta get a sling and I think I'll go with the Blue Force VCAS.

No rail, just MOE handguards but I'll add a few nice things no doubt! I'm really into a basic carbine.

16. AgentTikki

AgentTikki New Member

Acs laying around, noveske parts scattered about, lower reciever collecting dust, I bet you got enough spres in your garage for a couple more builds Q!!!!!

17. Quentin

Quentin New Member

Well I do have the Quentin Defense billet lower all lonely with no upper! :p

But yeah, too many parts laying around and I know they're gonna sprout into rifles sooner or later. :D

ETA
    Got the BCM tracking #, the upper should be here Tuesday morning!

Last edited: May 3, 2012
  18. Quentin

Quentin New Member

Got a small part in today, the ACS QD mount. Ordered it from Botach Tactical through Amazon and it got here lightning quick. I've heard good and bad about Botach but lately only good. They sure can get a part delivered about as quick as anyone and they occasionally have great sales. Anyway, I'll use them again.

Man it looks like my upper's gonna be stuck in Chicago all weekend. Same thing happened with my Daniel Defense upper, except it was a long holiday weekend. I was getting afraid Obama confiscated it! :D At least UPS tracking wasn't updated for 3 days. I sure was glad to see the DD hit Salt Lake City!

19. Quentin

Quentin New Member

Well I got a couple more things today. Stopped in my favorite LGS and picked up a VTAC sling and MOE+ grip. I have the older version of the VTAC and a MOE grip on my "Dan Wesson" so thought I'd go with the newer versions on this rifle. I had been thinking of the VCAS but got thinking that Viking Tactical just had to go on the Valkyrie Arms lower! :p

Anyway, I do want to support my LGS, Sawtooth Tactical, and Jeff's prices always are good. I got the stripped lower, Daniel Defense LPK, VTAC, MOE+ IWC QD mounts and Vltor QD swivels there. Also the ACS and MBUS G2 were bought used locally. (Both of my Bushnell TRS-25 RDS's were bought locally as well. These optics are cheap but have been holding up well so far.)

It was kinda fun at the gun shop, he's in a strip mall and they had a soul food convention out in the parking lot. Mighty nice pulled pork, slaw and beans and I was hungry!

Anyway, now just waiting for the BCM upper!