New build help

Discussion in 'AR-15 Discussion' started by bwalka, Apr 12, 2013.

1. bwalka

bwalka New Member

I'm trying to build my own ar from ground up. Need help or pointers please

2. Quentin

Quentin New Member

Do you have any plans? Configurations that you want? You've got to give us more than that.

3. Jake86

Jake86 New Member

Have you read the AR Primer?

4. Sgt_Skrb_25

Sgt_Skrb_25 New Member

Well brother that's kind of like you saying you want to build a car. A Honda ? Or Ferrari ? First step is to figure the purpose of it, once you do that, it helps guide you to your configuration. Other than that I can tell you to invest in the proper tools before you even start mutilating your parts.

Last edited: Apr 13, 2013
  5. bwalka

bwalka New Member

Full flat top. The old m16 style stock. Maybe other calibers besides 223/556. Shorter barrel like 16-20 inches nice trigger

6. Sgt_Skrb_25

Sgt_Skrb_25 New Member

Are you plinking, shooting long range, CQB? The barrel length and twist will change the performance of the gun base on wich one you choose. The other caliber choices you have are 300 blackout, 6.5,6.8, 7.62x39, 5.45 if staying in the AR15 platform.

7. bwalka

bwalka New Member

It's more hunting/target/shtf is what I want to build this one for.

8. bwalka

bwalka New Member

Some plinking to could possibly happen to. What's the 5.45 round like

9. Sgt_Skrb_25

Sgt_Skrb_25 New Member

That's the one caliber I don't know much about. I know it can be build of off a multi cal AR15 lower and upper. I have never seem it or shot it.

10. bwalka

bwalka New Member

308 would be nice to. Have one of those already but it's a bolt gun

11. Sgt_Skrb_25

Sgt_Skrb_25 New Member

You can probably go with a 16" barrel. It will give you some range and it's still short enough to be mobile. You have to figure out what twist rate you want, the faster the twist, the heavier( and more expensive)ammo you can shoot. 1:9 would be a safe bet for you.If you want to go 400+ , go with a 1:7 for better groups.

12. Sgt_Skrb_25

Sgt_Skrb_25 New Member

The 308 will run 2-3x more than a AR15 platform. There are compatibility issues on parts with the 308 platform. You really have to know what your doing if your starting off from scratch. I've built 13 Ar15's and still have not tried the 308 yet.

13. Jake86

Jake86 New Member

Another important question. What's your budget? This will help narrow down your options. I am building a 16" setup right now. It's a no expenses spared rifle that I am building to run hard. I anticipate about that I'll have well over $3000 into my build when it's all said and done.

14. bwalka

bwalka New Member

I don't really have a set budget but about $1000 or under

15. bwalka

bwalka New Member

Would it be easier to buy a base model ar and upgrade it how I want it

16. partdeux

partdeux Well-Known Member

what bullets run best with 1:7? Is there any advantage of a 1:9 for say 200 v 400? Any advantage to a longer barrel?

17. firemonkey150

firemonkey150 New Member

Double star makes a cheap lower and upper (stripped) that's pretty good quality. I got them for $100 a piece, and their customer service is excellent. Be a good place to start.

As for stocks, magpul obviously makes good ones, but you have to factor in a buffer tube set up as well. I ended up going for a Rock River Delta cause it had the same feel as a magpul stock and it included a buffer tube set.

For parts kit, again double star is cheap and good quality. Besides, I've been told by a couple people that most basic parts kits are the same in terms of basic quality and function.

BCG and charging handle I'd look into Bravo Company Machinery.

Barrel and handguard... Depends on the application. If you want to spend some big bucks White Oak Armament and Noveske make some Match grade barrels (and matched BCG's).
    I went with a Rock River 1/9 carbine barrel, just cause I got a huge discount when I bought it, plus it came with a front sight tower already pinned.

Handguards, well there's about a million options. YHM makes a good free float for around 100-150$. But just about every gun company on earth makes a handguard set up. That's a good place to start.

Unfortunately, I think your going to be hard pressed to find anything in stock at this point. When everyone went gun crazy most everything went on back order for a couple months.

18. AgentTikki

AgentTikki New Member

the answer to all your questions is found in here....

CLICK ME

19. purehavoc

purehavoc New Member

$3000 for a AR ? What are you doing gold plating it ? If your truly building a run and gun type of rifle to run hard you should be able to do this for $1000 less than that with high end optics like a acog . BCM, PSA, would be my first go to for a gun to run hard that will gladly take all the abuse you could ever give it

20. firemonkey150

firemonkey150 New Member

PSA? ^ really? I feel like there's plenty of other manufactures that sell better quality products for very little more money.