Firearms Talk banner
21 - 40 of 53 Posts

·
Registered
126 Posts
Posted same question about lead shot and many say they are afraid to shoot steel in older guns especial doubles or those with any sort of attached rib. Wonder how it affects brazed on fittings like gas ports on autos?

·
Premium Member
14,858 Posts
Posted same question about lead shot and many say they are afraid to shoot steel in older guns especial doubles or those with any sort of attached rib. Wonder how it affects brazed on fittings like gas ports on autos?
How about screw in chokes? I don't think it would be too good for them either although some are rated for steel.

·
Premium Member
1,485 Posts
Meh, not seeing declining prices here at all, if anything they're still going up. Ammo supply has gotten marginally better, but the prices are still climbing.

Powder and primers, heh, forget it. Hardly any to be found and what little there is is up into stupid price territory.

I expect we won't see much decline in ammo or component prices until raw materials come back to sane price levels. Ever penny extra it costs manufacturers for the raw materials is going to go into end price. So, even if the industry "catches up" on the supply end, the prices are still going to reflect their costs to make it.

Heck, even McDonald's announced just the other day they're upping their prices 6%, as if that swill is even worth the ridiculous price they already charge for it, but franchisees and the corp have to make up the higher pay and sign-on bonuses they're paying people just to come back to work.

·
Premium Member
14,858 Posts
Igman 9mm I posted was 35 cents. Still too high.

·
Premium Member
5,458 Posts
Powder and primers, heh, forget it. Hardly any to be found and what little there is is up into stupid price territory.
I've had three pre-stupid price opportunities, this year, with reloading powder: earlier in the year for several jugs of H4350 and H4831SC; mid-year for an estate sale where they were unloading several dozen pounds of powders for "cheap"; and one 8lb jug of IMR 4350 that I found at the start of the month at one online supplier.

Have done much the same with bullets. Here and there, sellers have offered up some very good pricing on some high-grade bullets for target rifle shooting. Picked up most of my stash this way.

Primers are another story. Caught a break earlier in the year with a lot of 5000ct of CCI small rifle primers, where no other buyers were bidding on an auction on GB. Snagged them for a "song."

It's all still pretty bad. Though I have been seeing the occasional increase in stock on some shelves, here and there. Mostly with powders and bullets. Almost never with primers. At small shops, notably ones tied to a small club-oriented range, there seems to be good and normal pricing for most things, despite quantities being sparse. I try to drop in from time to time, with a couple of them, to see if they've got anything interesting. Usually not, but it's getting better.

What a screwy past two years. Supplies tossed on their heads, and demand through the roof in odd ways the suppliers couldn't keep up with. Add in a couple of issues like the Remington bankruptcy and some powder plants going off-line due to damage or other reasons, and it hasn't helped.

·
Registered
126 Posts
How about screw in chokes? I don't think it would be too good for them either although some are rated for steel.
Dunno for sure, Have heard of older auto having issues with things like cutts and polychoke, Think steel comes with warning for use in modern guns suitable for steel or something like that. I have some Russian made lead shells marked "made in USSR" . They sold in 10 minutes flat at show!!.

·
Premium Member
1,485 Posts
I've had three pre-stupid price opportunities, this year, with reloading powder: earlier in the year for several jugs of H4350 and H4831SC; mid-year for an estate sale where they were unloading several dozen pounds of powders for "cheap"; and one 8lb jug of IMR 4350 that I found at the start of the month at one online supplier.
Was just at a local shop yesterday to check on #41 primers and some H335, no luck there, but he did have a couple of 1lb containers of H4831SC....for $53.99 each.

·
Premium Member
5,458 Posts
Was just at a local shop yesterday to check on #41 primers and some H335, no luck there, but he did have a couple of 1lb containers of H4831SC....for $53.99 each.
IIRC, the price I got mine for was sub-$35/lb. (I'd have to dig up the invoice.) Have gotten 4350 and Superformance for well under $30/lb (in larger 8lb jugs).

But, yeah, it's a rarity.

Still looking for Alliant Reloder 16, ideally in 8lb. Nobody seems willing to part with it for less than $500 (+ hazmat + shipping, if online). I won't even mention the 1lb pricing, as it's way past "nose bleed" levels. Haven't found a single shop in the region that's had any jug from Alliant last more than a few moments, once the word got out they got a shipment. And probably won't for a good long while.

·
Registered
126 Posts
Had a couple garage sales as we may sell our place soon. Almost every man (and some women) asked if we had ammo or reloading components. Had a partial pound of bulleye and it went for $40.

·
Registered
32 Posts
don't know if I am imagining this or what? but it seems to me that during the barack years we had shortages of 1) brass then 2) primers, then 3) powder, and 4) of course projectiles.
Now, we are in the primer and powder shortages again with another demcom regime in office.
what do you guys think?

·
Premium Member
2,892 Posts
don't know if I am imagining this or what? but it seems to me that during the barack years we had shortages of 1) brass then 2) primers, then 3) powder, and 4) of course projectiles.
Now, we are in the primer and powder shortages again with another demcom regime in office.
what do you guys think?
This thread isn't in politics. That question will get it shut down.

·
Premium Member
2,892 Posts
I was in Sportsmans Warehouse past week picking up a pistol. Got to talking to the nice kid behind the counter. They have been primers. They just keep them behind the counter and you have to ask.
They have a limit on them, but their pricing is pre-stupid.

·
Premium Member
2,892 Posts
Didn't look at shipping cost, but some decent prices here.

·
Premium Member
14,858 Posts
Norma online has 223 at 45 cents a round free ship on $150. 55 grain 3240 fps

Reactions: Notrighty

·
Premium Member
2,698 Posts
I like that term: "military grade." I better like the term: "my grade".

·
Premium Member
3,449 Posts
That’s a good deal and Norma is good ammo.

·
Premium Member
G42 G43x P95DC CZ82 Mak CZ70 AR etc.
5,406 Posts
Beware !!! That description you show says made in Sweden. Look at the box of ammo shown. Plainly says made in USA. No idea by whom. However, the required Country of Origin does say made in USA.

I have two shipments of Norma. 32 acp and 380 acp. Guess what. In extremely fine print I find Made in Hungary.
Ruag owns Norma, and Geco in Hungary,. Geco made ammo relabeled as Norma. I had Geco a long, long time ago. It was all under powered. Would not always push the slides back far enough to load properly. About 6 of 10 rounds this way.

This new Norma ammo does the same. At one time when Norma ammo came to the US, the Country of Origin was Sweden. Don't see that at all now. Just beware!!!!!!!!!!

Wrote a Review on this new stuff and a Credit was issued to my CC in 24 hours.

21 - 40 of 53 Posts