Firearms Talk banner
1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been watching ammunition prices quite closely for some time.
Right now the most popular calibers can be found fairly easily from a fair amount of distributors or auction sites such as GunBroker.com.
Personally I usually only purchase in 500 to 1000 round lots for handgun ammunition. Recently it looks like the market is flooded with ammunition but prices are not coming down to prepandemic levels. Ex. right now anyone can find 9mm for around 42-45 cents per round. However like I said the market seems to be flooded at that price.
Anyone care to speculate if this is our new bottom, or is there still downward movement to be made in the price of ammunition?

·
Premium Member
5,316 Posts
9mm's approaching $0.30/rd, and is generally available at sub-$0.35/rd. A bit of improvement over the end of last year, for example. And if one is selective to buy from places with "free" shipping fees (at a given $level purchased), one can take advantage of the entire nation's worth of supply while avoiding surcharges. But then, that's the most-popular pistol ammunition. Makes sense it'd get larger supply changes, over time, particularly with suppliers attempting to satisfy as much of this as they're capable of doing.

With rifle bullets (not ammunition), I've been seeing a few changes. More retailers are having products in with pre-stupid pricing ... or at what approach it, plus whatever cost increases the materials+delivery have forced upon the retail pricing. Plenty of boxes of, say, 6.5mm Creedmoor 20rd hunting loads can be found for $2.50/rd, yet 6.5mm bullets are going sub-$40/bx (of 100ct) much more frequently now. "Off" brand finished 6.5CM ammunition can be found, here and there, for sub-$1.50/rd and occasionally nearing ~$1/rd. With powder and primer prices like they are, that's approaching the break-even point with reloading versus whole ammo (assuming a $pittance labor cost for crafting reloads).

I'd love to see people generally refusing to pay extortionate or unconscionable prices. That'd certainly help put pressure on such sellers to consider the "teat's gone dry" (aka, people have finally turned 'on' their brains).

Oh, for the day of the early to mid 1990s, when I could get multiple 1000rd cases of 9mm from a local reloader (shop) who'd occasionally offer up astounding discounts for multi-case buys. As I recall, it was sub-$0.07/rd for a case, but occasionally cut in half if buying a handful of cases at the end of his "contract" season (with supplying training rounds to the county and local police agencies). Had a good portion of a storage closet filled with the stuff. Burned through the last of it about ~12yrs ago. End of an era.

·
Premium Member
3,341 Posts
I think the price going down and the availability going up proves that the panic buying is over. Now we just have to wait till the prices bottom out. That will be somewhere around 10% to 15% above prepandemic prices. A lot of people made big money over this panic and a lot of suckers panic bought huge amounts of ammo at outrageous prices.

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
While i havent seen sub 35cent 9mm, once you include shipping and taxes I have found most good brand names are over .40 a round.
I think once we approach .30 that is gonna be the new bottom on 9mm.

·
Premium Member
2,545 Posts
I'm not buying at current prices. It looks like it's plateaued to me. I suspect the people buying are the ones that got caught without enough and they "think" today's prices are good....comparatively. Not everyone has the money to buy at today's prices.

·
Premium Member
14,834 Posts
I have to balance price against re loading. Right now it pays to reload. With the higher component prices the break point is about 30 cents. We wont see 16 cent 9mm anymore. I bought a bunch when it was 16 cents and a rebate brought it down to 12 cents. The mfgs boosted their prices and it isn't just supply and demand. Inflation is running a minimum of 14% no matter how much they lie about it. Their costs are increasing.

Reactions: Diesel3 and primer1

·
Registered
1,778 Posts
9mm is still $20-$30 for an individual box of 50 rounds. So that's a no for me. .223/5.56 and 12G are at acceptable prices as far I know.

·
Registered
3,551 Posts
I am still concerned that external (ie political) factors could send prices yet higher again.
For example what if they outlaw internet sales?

No legal basis for it but that hasnt stopped "them" from doing such things before.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Some say we have been in a inflationary spiral and it may get worse soon. Waiting for prices to come down may result in facing higher prices in the future due to the weakening of the dollar. I will say if ammo follows lumber prices it may not ever get back down to where it used to be, Add in labor issues, quality control and the ban on Russian stuff and all a great unknown. It is very possible that good milsurp ammo (especially European calibers) will go up simply due to scarcity.

·
Registered
3,551 Posts
For some reason the cheapest ammo around here is wolf or tula 5,56 @ 8.99/20. 7,62x39 foreign stuff is not far behind at 10-12 box. NO pistol ammo to speak.
You can buy Tula 9mm (which goes bang just fine) for 33 cents a round all day long.
Here is 30.5 cpr but high shipping ( to my area)

zinc plated tula 31.4 cpr plus shipping.

Wolf .223 at 32 cents per round plus shipping:

·
Registered
120 Posts
Last show in the City the home reloaders and the remanufacturers were out in force long with factory stuff. . 9mm was like $23 -$30 with a few takers. .45 Acp was well above $40 along with .380. One box of 9mm Mak sold for $50+. Forget .357 or .45 long colt.

I wonder if this ammo thing has introduced some "substandard" ammo into mix. I asked one "home" reloader about legal issues and got a fairly nasty response. Shelves back here in town are still fairly bare except for 5.56 and SKS ammo. Since when is field, lead shot 12g worth $24.95????

·
Premium Member
2,545 Posts
Last show in the City the home reloaders and the remanufacturers were out in force long with factory stuff. . 9mm was like $23 -$30 with a few takers. .45 Acp was well above $40 along with .380. One box of 9mm Mak sold for $50+. Forget .357 or .45 long colt.

I wonder if this ammo thing has introduced some "substandard" ammo into mix. I asked one "home" reloader about legal issues and got a fairly nasty response. Shelves back here in town are still fairly bare except for 5.56 and SKS ammo. Since when is field, lead shot 12g worth $24.95????
When people pay that for it.

1 - 20 of 51 Posts