Firearms Talk banner
41 - 60 of 85 Posts
I have the Axis chambered in .30-06. Great rifle for the price. Synthetic stock and stainless barrel. It's a great rifle. Really just depends on what your going to use it for too. If your going to hunt I would either go with .270 cause it shoots really flat, or .30-06 but that's just me [emoji106] Good luck brotha!

For the money, its tough to beat a Savage mod. 110.

New stock and scope for the 25-06 mod. 110
I had a Ruger bull barrel 25-06 that was a tack driver, but it was just too heavy for me to haul around the mountains, so I traded it back to my gunsmith friend for a Ruger stainless steel .260, which I wish was a 25-06 but I'm happy with the .260.

I'm looking to get a new bolt action(either223/243/270/308) I haven't decided yet. I'm thinking between savage axis -mossberg patriot- Remington 783 or Marlin xs7 . Does anyone have any experience with them or suggestions on caliber with them I know a few of those don't come in those 4 calibers but I'm open to any please let me know what y'all think

I'm looking for for plinking and casual shooting I am a weekly range goer but not to much bolt action basically have mostly AR's / aks and semi rifles/ lever actions not a expect on bolt actions though
My 2¢.

Since you did not mention hunting, but just plinking and casual shooting, I would choose the 223, but I would choose one chambered in 5.56. That would give you the option of shooting both rounds without worry.

None of the rifles you mentioned are chambered for the 5.56, so my choices would be the Ruger Gunsite Scout, the Mossberg MVP Patrol, or if money were an consideration, the Ruger American Ranch. The Mossberg would have the advantage of sharing magazines with your AR 15. The Ruger American Ranch is just a fun and handy shooter. The Gunsite Scout it reminds me a whole lot of my favorite bolt rifle, the FR8.

The cartridges you mentioned? 223/5.56 will be the cheapest to shoot. It can be bought as cheaply as the 7.62x39 others have mentioned. The 243 is a very good accurate round. Great for long range, but depending on your definition of accuracy, the barrel could be toast as quickly as 1500 rounds. The 270 is one of the better choices for one who is going to have only one rifle. From varmints to moose, it just works. The 308 is in of my personal favorites, a good accurate round.

I am in much the same boat as you. I am looking for a bolt rifle to plink with, but it will also be used for hunting deer and pigs. I am getting the 308. My rifle choices are the Ruger Gunsite Scout, the Mossberg MVP Patrol, or if I can't round up the needed funds for either, the Ruger American Predator.

My 2¢.

Since you did not mention hunting, but just plinking and casual shooting, I would choose the 223, but I would choose one chambered in 5.56. That would give you the option of shooting both rounds without worry.

None of the rifles you mentioned are chambered for the 5.56, so my choices would be the Ruger Gunsite Scout, the Mossberg MVP Patrol, or if money were an consideration, the Ruger American Ranch. The Mossberg would have the advantage of sharing magazines with your AR 15. The Ruger American Ranch is just a fun and handy shooter. The Gunsite Scout it reminds me a whole lot of my favorite bolt rifle, the FR8.

The cartridges you mentioned? 223/5.56 will be the cheapest to shoot. It can be bought as cheaply as the 7.62x39 others have mentioned. The 243 is a very good accurate round. Great for long range, but depending on your definition of accuracy, the barrel could be toast as quickly as 1500 rounds. The 270 is one of the better choices for one who is going to have only one rifle. From varmints to moose, it just works. The 308 is in of my personal favorites, a good accurate round.

I am in much the same boat as you. I am looking for a bolt rifle to plink with, but it will also be used for hunting deer and pigs. I am getting the 308. My rifle choices are the Ruger Gunsite Scout, the Mossberg MVP Patrol, or if I can't round up the needed funds for either, the Ruger American Predator.
most excellent post. i can agree with most of that post, and say it's pretty much spot on.

one small addition, i recommended the 308, pretty much for the same reasons, but if person were going to hunt, which could possibly happen, it opens up those possibilities a little better than the 223, for larger game. but if not, or only going for smaller game, then yes, i'd say recommending the 223 might be the better choice in rounds based on pretty much the same reasons.

under $400 i'd buy Model 700's all day long. but, unless they are are used, it's highly unlikely you are going to find any Model 700 for under $400. i was paying right at $500 for bare brand new Remington M700 actions with bolts and triggers from Brownell's.
On the Black Friday Sales at *ick's Sporting Goods, the Remington 700 ADL w. Bull barrel's are $450. The scope is a throwaway, but the rifle itself is nice. The stock is camo synthetic, but the beavertail adds heft and some rigidity.

There have been a number of good suggestions but if I were buying a bolt rifle for myself it would be the Mossberg MVP Predator. I already have the 5.56 which is sub moa so it would be a close call on the 308 or the 6.5 Creedmore. I handload so the 6.5 is very viable for me. It is really gaining in popularity and ammo is becoming more plentiful. Definitely over a 243. They come with a laminate stock, a very good trigger and the ability to use common magazines that are relatively inexpensive.

How about the Ruger American, they've been getting good reviews.

If I was getting a range bolt rifle i'd spend the extra cash and get a CZ 527 Carbine, 7.62X39. :D
Can pick up a 440rd spam can of surplus 7.62x39 Combloc and there is your cheap Blamo-Ammo. :D :D
I have a CZ 527 Varminter with a Sightron SII big sky 6.5-20x42mm AO. It is truly a tack driver. 1:9 twist works well for 300 yard work. They have a CIP chamber, so either .223 or 5.56 is ok.

The next bolt gun I buy will be a CZ carbine in 7.62x39.
The big issue with the 7.62x39 is range. An often overlooked company that was been around over 100 years is Zastava. Great rifles. Both the M70 and M85 lines are superb.
http://www.zastava-arms.rs/en/civilianproduct/sporting-rifle-m85

I have a CZ 527 Varminter with a Sightron SII big sky 6.5-20x42mm AO. It is truly a tack driver. 1:9 twist works well for 300 yard work. They have a CIP chamber, so either .223 or 5.56 is ok.

The big issue with the 7.62x39 is range. An often overlooked company that was been around over 100 years is Zastava. Great rifles. Both the M70 and M85 lines are superb.
http://www.zastava-arms.rs/en/civilianproduct/sporting-rifle-m85
Remington sold the Model 798 and 799 from 2006 to 2008, and those were manufactured by Zastava for Remington. they were really nice looking and decently accurate rifles. shame that Remington discontinues importing them.

I'm looking to get a new bolt action(either223/243/270/308) I haven't decided yet. I'm thinking between savage axis -mossberg patriot- Remington 783 or Marlin xs7 . Does anyone have any experience with them or suggestions on caliber with them I know a few of those don't come in those 4 calibers but I'm open to any please let me know what y'all think
The Mossberg Patriot is an outstanding choice! It's lightweight, and has all the features you'll want such as an adjustable trigger. I have the Patriot in .338 Winchester Magnum....I mean WHY go with the relatively limited .308 simply because it's the "standard?"

The .338 WinMag hits with over 1000 lb-ft of KE MORE and extends the range at which one can take shots....which is exactly why the .338 Lapua came to town, though all those who have .338 WinMags will be surprised at what their rifles "can" do when they put in the effort.

The Mossberg Patriot is an outstanding choice! It's lightweight, and has all the features you'll want such as an adjustable trigger. I have the Patriot in .338 Winchester Magnum....I mean WHY go with the relatively limited .308 simply because it's the "standard?"

The .338 WinMag hits with over 1000 lb-ft of KE MORE and extends the range at which one can take shots....which is exactly why the .338 Lapua came to town, though all those who have .338 WinMags will be surprised at what their rifles "can" do when they put in the effort.
Wonderful cartridge, but not what I would want for punching holes in paper. Expensive compared to the cartridges mentioned by the OP. Plus the recoil difference.

If I were shooting long range, I still would not consider it. The Laupa you mentioned would be better, but so would be the 6mm CM and the 6.5mm CM.

The 6mm CM seems to be the up and coming cartridge today. It is making great leaps in long range matches and is becoming available in factory precision rifles.

if you are shooting long range, and are only punching paper, or hitting steel, why does a person need the extra 1000 lb.-ft. of energy? they don't.

and the fact remains, that 95% of any animal in North America can be taken with a 30-06 with a well placed shot, using the proper ammo. yeah, even a grizzly!

Remington sold the Model 798 and 799 from 2006 to 2008, and those were manufactured by Zastava for Remington. they were really nice looking and decently accurate rifles. shame that Remington discontinues importing them.
Winchester realized the quality of a European Mauser design and jumped in bed with FN to make the M70. I love my Mausers. Don't get me wrong, one of my favorite hunters is an older early 1990's Savage 110 in 7mm Rem Mag, pre accu trigger. But is is the only hunter I have that is not a Mauser action. There was a time you could buy really nice Swede Sporting Mausers cheaper then a mid priced U.S. made rifle. The best deal I ever got was a 1962 Husqvarna 1600 small ring Mauser in 6.5x55 That I bought in 2000-2004 for $369.00, It has 150 yard express sights and was drilled and taped at the factory. I wears a simple 4x32mm ballistic plex reticule scope. The whole package including scope is just under 7lb with a 23.5" barrel. You can find similar rifles in gun shops from time to time. They usually have no idea what it is truly worth and it can be bought fairly cheap.
I did buy a 1943 Husqvarna M41b in 9.3x57 as a woods gun. $269.00 out the door. Reloading keeps ammo cost down on odd calibers. Before 6.5 Creedmore arrived I bought lots of 6.5 bullets really cheap. Shooting becomes more enjoyable when ammo is not an issue. Knowing things like a European 7.5 is the same as a U.S. .308 bullet diameter helps, So 7.5x54 and 7.5x55 both use .308 bullets. 7.62x54r Russian/Finn, 7.7 Jap, .303 Brit are all the same diameter. Too many guns/calibers for one lifetime. My advice to the OP, don't go cheap.

At WM tonight for an ammo run. Messing around with the AR-10 at the range and needed some basic hunting ammo.

.308 Win 150gr was in stock, and several flavors available. Zero 6.5 Creedmore to be had. Didn't look, but doubtful there was any .338 Win mag either. Recoil kills precision shooting and is a great way to develop a flinch. Sore shoulders make shooting not fun. My Federal ammo, a whopping 17.82. Less than $1 a round. No way Id go for an esoteric caliber on a hunting rifle. More abusive, more expensive, reduces no. of shots practiced with, develops a flinch, and no way to re-supply quickly.

WM did have a Remington 700 ADL with thin barrel and synthetic stock for $379.

At WM tonight for an ammo run. Messing around with the AR-10 at the range and needed some basic hunting ammo.

.308 Win 150gr was in stock, and several flavors available. Zero 6.5 Creedmore to be had. Didn't look, but doubtful there was any .338 Win mag either. Recoil kills precision shooting and is a great way to develop a flinch. Sore shoulders make shooting not fun. My Federal ammo, a whopping 17.82. Less than $1 a round. No way Id go for an esoteric caliber on a hunting rifle. More abusive, more expensive, reduces no. of shots practiced with, develops a flinch, and no way to re-supply quickly.

WM did have a Remington 700 ADL with thin barrel and synthetic stock for $379.
I guess you'd be SOL if Wally World closed their doors. You seem to think that's the only place to buy ammo,well it is,if you like shooting the bargin bin stuff.

Hand load your own ammo,and you'll never worry about what WM carries or doesn't carry.
I haven't worried about running out of any type of ammo in several decades,I keep plenty of supplies on hand to load for everything I shoot.

I don't mean to be an ***,but a large majority of the shooter's on here reload,and could care less what Wal-Mart has setting on the shelf.

Shooting for groups, I use Federal Gold Medal Match. Shoots close to an inch. Its fine for my needs. Yes, I order it online, and have a modest supply.

For 308 Hunting ammo? Cheap Walmart bargain bin Federal soft points shoot about 1.6", and my shots have been 20-150 yards, so 1.6" groups are fine for my hunting needs. We only have straight-walled pistol caliber rifle deer hunting, so that .308 gets about 3-5 shots a year of actual deer killing on damage permits (assuming I dont use the 6.8 like last year for 2 of the 3 deer). The nearest wild hogs are 3 hours away, so no hog hunting usage either (yet).

Stockpiling hunting ammo doesnt make sense for me, and the low-volume real world usage doesnt justify reloading hunting ammo either. For this, Walmart works - especially for 10pm runs when kids are sleeping. I'm saving my brass to reload one day. Kids running around the house and not a dedicated place to reload (esp. when tired) isn't smart. The handloading will wait.

Does he pick up a box here or there as an extra $20 is available? Is the original poster a reloader? I didn't read that he was or wasn't, so local ammo availability may matter to him.

I completely understand your perspective and the flexibility, accuracy, and availability that handloading opens up. I get that most hardcore shooters reload. Just be patient with us young 'uns. For various reasons we're not there yet, and may not be for a few years ;)

I wasn't trying to bust your chops, but Wal-mart is the last place I'd look for ammo. They are very limited as to what you can buy.
A bunch of my stuff is handload only so I can't run down to a store for ammo.

If you ever start reloading, you will never buy factory ammo again unless it's a great deal. Rimfire ammo is all that I buy.

Mr. Sniper, this a very common problem with many factory synthetic stocks. they can fixed in the manner you suggest. i have used epoxy and steel rods to reinforce several of mine in the past.

synthetic covers a variety of materials other than wood stocks. most of the factory ones are injection molded plastic. simply because it's cheap and it works decently for it's application. now some of the higher end hunting rifles use such materials as Kevlar, or fiberglass or other exotic materials, that are much stiffer and even heavier than injection molded plastic. but they also much more expensive to make due to the materials and time spent to make them.
I am thinking about a new concept in stocks. Something natural, light-weight, recyclable, holds up to all weather and looks good.....Wood! What if we made rifle stocks outta wood? Oak, pine maybe....No I got it...Walnut! Naw, it will never catch on....

41 - 60 of 85 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.