New bolt action 7mm-08

Discussion in 'General Rifle Discussion' started by ironsights88, Oct 11, 2013.

1. ironsights88

ironsights88 New Member

I am new to bolt action rifles, I have a savage bolt action in 7mm-08 with a Bushnell scope and I am looking to zero the rifle this weekend.

What is the best way to do this, without purchasing any type of bore sight kit.

2. Apex-Predator

Apex-Predator New Member

Alot of gun stores will do that for cheap or free. My friend at the gun counter of Bass Pro does it for me and never charged me a dime. Good call on the Savage 7mm-08, good all around caliber and great rifle.

3. Mercator

Mercator Active Member

1. Mount a large sheet of paper, such as 36"x24" sold for 50 c at Walmart and similar stores, on a target frame. Paint a large enough dot approximately in the center.
    2. Place the target in front of a tall earth mound with clumps of grass or small shrubs.
    3. Place the scoped rifle on two heavy sandbags or a shooting sled, at 25 yards from the target.
    4. Take a deliberate shot, aiming exactly at the center dot.
    5. Note the hit. Adjust the scope and shoot at the same dot again. Repeat until you hit at about 4 inches or less off center.
    6. If your 1st shot missed paper, fire a 2nd one and note where it hit the background. A burst of sand or cut grass will show where the bullet hit. Adjust the scope to put the next shot on paper.
    7. Once you are done at 25 yds, move away to 50 yds. Repeat the above until you hit dead center. At this stage you can put a self sticking splash target to see the hits better. If you want to zero your rifle at a longer range, move away in 25 yard increments. You don't have to be dead on at every stage, just close enough to stay on paper moving to the next stage. When you reach the desired range for zeroing, then proceed to the MOA adjustments.

With a properly mounted scope, have a box of 20 rounds for a 100 yard zero.

4. bntyhntr6975

bntyhntr6975 New Member

I just put the rifle in a vice or on the rest and take out the bolt and look down the barrel. Adjust the scope to match the object you see down the barrel. Farther away the object, the better. A stop sign a few block away works great. Then shoot at the 100yd target. Not the stop sign. Ive never been more than a few inches off this way. Perfect zero in just a few shots.

5. phideaux

phideaux Active Member Supporter

This is exactly what I was gonna tellya.

Works for me , even better than boresighters.

Jim

6. Mercator

Mercator Active Member

I cut corners all the time. Once you understand it step by step, you can work out your own routine. It also matters how much precision is enough for you. Tactical < Hunting < Competition.

7. dteed4094

dteed4094 New Member

I usually get within 2 inches using this method, I also allow about 2 inches for drop. If you are meticulous it is as good or better than a bore sighter. Make sure you keep the muzzle hole centered in the breech hole and it works great. It has saved me a lot of ammo and trips down range.

8. Axxe55

Axxe55 The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

the methods listed will work if you don't own a bore sighting tool. but if you plan on owning several rifles, then investing in an inexpensive bore sighter is a good deal. i paid about $45for mine and it uses a magnet rather than the different bore adapters. i consider it money well spent and can also be used to verify your scope without even shooting it.

9. ironsights88

ironsights88 New Member

Appreciate all the great ideas, now it's time to try and see what's best for me.

10. Axxe55

let us know how it turns out for you.

i have a Marlin XS7 in 7mm-08 and it's one of my most shot rifles. excellent choice in cartridge. great ballistics, very good accuracy without beating the hell out of your shoulder.

11. Mercator

Mercator Active Member

What do you think of 7-08 as compasred to 308 in a light handy rifle?

Edit. And vs .243?

12. Axxe55

i have grown to really like the 7mm-08 from my first shooting sessions with it. light recoil and very accurate. easy to reload and works well with a huge assortment of powders and bullets.

i like the 308 and have one, but having to make a choice in between my 308 and my 7mm-08 would be tough, but i would probably go with the 7mm-08 as long as i could reload for it. if limited to factory ammo, i'd probably have to go with the 308 instead, just because of factory ammo selection availablity.

the 7mm-08 is not that far behind the 308 in MV and ME., but a bit flatter trajectory, and a bit lighter in felt recoil.

i like the 243 and was the first rifle i ever deer hunted with when i was a youngster. but choosing between the two, i'd probably have to again choose the 7mm-08 over the 243. the 7mm-08 IMO can do a bit more if you reload. just a bit larger for varmints, but still capable. the 243 is what i consider to be the smallest caliber iwould feel comfortable hunting deer sized game. the 7mm-08 has a bit more ME than the 243, and it's trajectory is pretty close in comparison to the 243.

these are strictly my opinions, impressions and observations of the three calibers based on my experiances with them.

13. ironsights88

ironsights88 New Member

I am also looking for a bipod for this rifle. Are all bipods universal, and what is a decent brand without adding too much weight?

14. Apex-Predator

Apex-Predator New Member

I shoot, hunt with and reload for both the 7mm-08 and 308, a contest between them would come down to how big the game is I am hunting and at what range. For general purpose deer hunting the 7mm-08 has the edge, but if you throw elk or moose in the mix I would rather have a 180gr 30 caliber bullet. Vs the 243 is an easy contest, the only way I pick the 243 is if I want a rifle primarily for varmint but has to do occasional deer duty as well.
    In the same vain as the fantastic 308 and 7mm-08 there is the 6.5mms. The 6.5x55, 260 Rem and 6.5 Creedmore are GREAT, ballistics on par with 300 mags and recoil in between 243 and 7mm-08 (aka super light) those are my favorite, my baby is my 6.5x55 but the 6.5 Creedmoor is technically more advanced.

Last edited: Oct 27, 2013
  15. Axxe55

i think with the proper bullets and powder, (160 gr. bullet) the 7mm-08 could take elk at reasonable distances. but that would mean reloading vs. using factory ammo. that why as long as i can reload for the 7mm-08 i would make it a primary choice over the 308 and the 243.

16. Apex-Predator

Apex-Predator New Member

Oh yes the 7mm-08 can do the trick, I have a couple friends up north that use them for elk/moose class game, so I am by no means saying it is inadequate, just saying that all else being the same I would take a 180gr 30 cal over a 160gr 7mm on game that big. Splitting hairs there though.

17. Axxe55

i agree with you. if i could only have one of those three, i would choose the 7mm-08, as long as i were reloading for it. now if i owned the others with the 7mm-08, i would prefer the 308 with heavier bullets as well.

18. Mercator

Mercator Active Member

thats what we are here for. Thanks all.