New Beretta. I need to STOP going to gun stores

Discussion in 'Semi-Auto Handguns' started by AcidFlashGordon, Aug 31, 2009.

1. AcidFlashGordon

AcidFlashGordon New Member

Yesterday, I wandered off to Bass Pro Shop to look for a shoulder recoil pad. This weekend (have a 5-day weekend courtesy of Labor Day) I'll be going to Desert Sportsman's with a coworker and he's bringing out the big guns. Of course all of that apparel is upstairs where the guns are. After finding the pad I wanted, I wandered "down the line" to check ammo availability. I was close to the display cases so I looked in to see what they had in 9mm (my currently owned pistols are .40 cal). I have been thinking about getting a Browning Hi Power but the only one they had was done up in that "digital camouflage" and looked rather stupid. One of the clerks came up and after finding out they didn't have any other models of the Hi Power, we chatted about handguns with some other customers standing around. He pulled out a Baretta PX4 Storm and after handling it for a short while, I bought the silly thing. Dayum. A $40 trip turned into a $600 trip. :rolleyes: So now, I've got another weapon that needs to be "broken in" at the range. Sooner or later, I'll take my Walther PPS .40 cal and the Baretta out, once I pick up some 9mm ammo.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I have not seen the "loading assist" before...that thing on the top of the spare mag. Anyone else ever used one? I didn't know they existed.

I was also surprised at how thin the weapon is considering the magazine is a double-stacker. It's also pretty much between my Sig P226 and Walther PPS in weight. I found the decocking feature rather interesting, too. When you press the lever, the firing pin recedes before the hammer comes down. I panicked for a second when, after jacking the slide back, the hammer didn't remain cocked. Then I realized I hadn't pushed the decocking lever back up to "normal" (where it is near the rear sight in the photos)

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 3, 2009
  2. Jo da Plumbr

Jo da Plumbr New Member

Nice looking.
    Is this the 9mm the 40 or the 45?

3. Jo da Plumbr

Jo da Plumbr New Member

Smart choice. I have several pistols in different calibers. With the ammo on the shelves being hit and miss it gives me more options.

4. canebrake

canebrake New Member

Nice snag Flash.

Your "loading assist" is the non-moving parts equivalent to the Israeli Maglula, UPLULA Universal Pistol Magazine Loader.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zos_7e-c4t0]YouTube - Universal Pistol Magazine Loader[/ame]

What a thumb saver! [​IMG]

5. orangello

orangello New Member

Nice pistol!

That looks like the loading gizmo that came with my XD. After you figure it out, it is very helpful, especially on the last few rounds. I thought it was dumb at first, but my thumbs are now quite fond of it.

6. AcidFlashGordon

That's DEFINITELY a thumb saver. I'd get one in a heartbeat.

Before I even go out to shoot the thing, that's the first thing on my agenda...learn how to use that loader.

After that, I really need to get to the range to shoot my Walther and this beastie. That'll be 2 range reports I'll be filing. Hopefully I don't completely bollox things up and shoot holes everywhere but into the center of the B27 targets.

Last edited: Sep 1, 2009
  7. NGIB

NGIB New Member

Never ever seen a Sig?

8. lonyaeger

lonyaeger New Member

Beretta. It's spelled Beretta.

Enjoy your PX4 Storm, I loved my .40 cal. and wish I still had it. Used it for my CHL range test right out of the box and blew away all the others in the class. Break-in not really needed. Good choice.

9. group17

group17 New Member

Nice gun! Beretta makes a great weapon.
    While I was at Bass pro to waste time on a business trip i handled the PX4, a couple CZ's and a Stoeger 8000 cougar.It's made in Turkey by Stoeger for Beretta. Wanted $419 for it. Warranty work done by Beretta USA.
    My LGD had one in 9 for $350. A real fantastic shooter with the same rotating barrel just like your PX4.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Nice zombie killer!

10. AcidFlashGordon

Yep. I know. For some dumbassed reason, I keep spelling it wrong. [​IMG] Must be old timers or something.... [​IMG] At least I spelled it correctly in the Subject line...... [​IMG]

As for enjoying it, I definitely plan to. All I need to do is run out and get some 9mm ammo so I can run some rounds downrange with it. I want to see how I do on targets.

11. canebrake

canebrake New Member

Did you? [​IMG]

12. AsmelEduardo

AsmelEduardo New Member

I want a Stöeger Cougar 9mm.... that one is in my wishlist.
    I shooted the .40 Beretta Cougar 8040 and I love it, but due to availability/cost of ammo I do prefer the 9mm version. It's nice and smooth, almost no recoil, and the grip fits to my hand very well

13. tbjers

tbjers New Member

Please keep me posted on your opinion of the PX4. I am really, really considering buying one for my first gun. Still saving money, unfortunately. Man, I should have opened up some credit cards back when the market was still good. :cool:

14. gadrooning

gadrooning New Member

Nice gun. I have the Px4 .40cal. Love the gun. I have run almost 2000 rounds threw it and have not had one jam of any sort. Pretty darn good on accuracy too. It has to be by far the easiest semi to field strip and clean. You literally can do it with your eyes closed.