New BCG

Discussion in 'AR-15 Discussion' started by ShagNasty1001, May 18, 2013.

1. ShagNasty1001

ShagNasty1001 New Member

Just got this in today from Midway. It's the AR Stoner and the only reason I got it was because it was the only one I could find in stock and of course two days later I get an email from BCM saying theirs is in stock. The staking doesn't seem too good but ill use it until I get another and put this as a backup. Anyone have any experience with this?

Attached Files:

2. Quentin

Quentin New Member

Sadly there are quite a few recent threads out there about Stoner bolts failing at a low round count. Usually a broken lug. I'd start googling and be thinking about a replacement. Any feedback on Midway?

3. AgentTikki

AgentTikki New Member

Unfortunately, I've seen the same reports. Sheared lugs. I do not have personal experience though.

4. ShagNasty1001

ShagNasty1001 New Member

I just looked at midway and the average rating was a 3.4. I haven't gotten my upper in yet from PSA so I can't do a range report on this yet but I'll put 100 rounds or so through it for this carrier to see. I'm on the BCM list again and need to check with PSA to see if they have an email alert system

5. Quentin

Quentin New Member

Have you found some of the failure reports yet? Since you just got it, maybe you can return it to Midway before you fire it.

Definitely get a BCM if you can. In the Deals thread Rainier Arms recently had it for $189

6. ShagNasty1001

ShagNasty1001 New Member

All the reports I read from midway were about it grinding down due to soft metals after 100 rounds or the gas key not being big enough

7. Quentin

Quentin New Member

That's not good either. Midway should know by now it's crap and they should accept returns.

8. ShagNasty1001

ShagNasty1001 New Member

I'll send them an email on Monday and see what I have to do to return it. It's what I get for ordering stuff half asleep and being in a hurry haha

9. sweeper22

sweeper22 New Member

Do yourself a favor and just list it on GunBroker. You'll recover your funds faster and probably make a couple bucks in the process. That's what I did. Mine sold for $180 I think.

Then buy a better BCG. PSA has a C158 BCG for $170 right now! BCMs can be found for $200-230. Cerakoted STS M16s can be found for $180-225. I would recommend any of these.

10. bluez

bluez Well-Known Member

Actually I just couldnt do it, selling something because I think it's crap on Gunbroker or elsewhere

Last edited: May 20, 2013
  11. Quentin

Quentin New Member

I agree, I couldn't do it either. I'd send it back to Midway even if I lost money on shipping and restocking. In this case though an honest vendor should make it right, the bolt is crap.

12. fsted2a

fsted2a Active Member

Unfortunately, a lot of that going on. Two indicators that don't look good: the gas key isn't staked worth a crap, and it is dark, shiny, and black. Usually, if they took a little more time with the anodizing to get it just dark gray, then they probably took more time with the rest of their parts. I am just saying those are two indicators to look for, not that it is the end-all to inspecting a rifle.

13. ShagNasty1001

ShagNasty1001 New Member

Yeah the first thing I look for is the staking and as soon as I saw that, I knew it was junk

14. fa35jsf

fa35jsf New Member

So what did you do with it?

15. ShagNasty1001

ShagNasty1001 New Member

I still have it on my dresser right now. I'm waiting on my PSA upper to come in. I still need to get in touch with midway

16. fa35jsf

fa35jsf New Member

ah dude my PSA upper is sweet! Have you ordered a new BCG? The one that I am going to use in my PSA upper I have already tried in another rifle and it works great. It has that Microslick or Creakote coating on it. It is super slick in the upper.

17. ShagNasty1001

ShagNasty1001 New Member

I haven't ordered one yet, but I haven't had much time to even look with the past few days being hectic. I'm pretty excited to get it in, should be here on the 24th

18. fa35jsf

fa35jsf New Member

19. ShagNasty1001

ShagNasty1001 New Member

I actually just ordered a PSA BCG for 170 and a charging handle for an extra 20 for now. Hopefully it'll ship within 5 days and be here by next Friday

20. Quentin

Quentin New Member

Which one did you get? Carpenter 158, MPI bolt, M16 carrier?