New BCG - I need your knowledge?

Discussion in 'AR-15 Discussion' started by mudpupp, May 9, 2013.

1. mudpupp

mudpupp New Member

I am looking to purchase a new BCG

Have a few to choose from, but how much difference for me?

Before I tell you the BCG 's...

It's an Aero precision upper on a spikes lower. 5.56 NATO 16" Barrel
    Semi-Auto only
    I shoot in dusty desert environment and will shoot 800 rounds over a 4 day training period.

BCG choices:

Les Baer Custom Bolt Carrier Assembly Commercial AR-15 223 Remington Matte
    (I don't know if this is also 5.56)

MIDWEST PX PREMIUM NIBX AR15/M4/M16

SBD Gear AR-15 .223/5.56

Rock River Arms

FailZero

KE Arms NATIONAL MATCH AR-15/M4 CHROME

Most of these fall into the same price range and some are VASTLY DIFFERENT in the type of steel and/or coating (ie: failzero & KE)

Should I buy one of these (which are available) hold out for a
    WMD NIB-X in July, or buy a standard mil spec phosphate covered $139 BCG?

Your knowledge is what I seek, so please tell me why if you make a choice .

My thanks in advance,

Mud

Proud to have served
    God Bless the USA
    OMG (obummer must go)

[​IMG]

2. Quentin

Quentin New Member

None of those excite me. Everyone is different but I'd be looking at a phosphated, chrome lined M16 BCG comparable to BCM's. HP/MP Carpenter 158 steel bolt, proper extractor and gas key/screws, staked well. Look at their specs, pretty much the Holy Grail. PSA occasionally has something close in their $189 MPI M16 BCG.

3. mudpupp

mudpupp New Member

Wow not even the Midwest PX excited you?
    http://midwestpx.com/product_info.php?products_id=614

There I go thinking more money means better product..
    ;)

How about the Red Barn Armory BCG
    It fits the criteria you laid out
    http://www.redbarnarmory.com/product-p/fa-bcgpc.htm

Thanks

Last edited: May 9, 2013
  4. Gatoragn

Gatoragn Active Member

I have one of these, it is a great value and of high quality.

http://www.twsarms.com/product/ar-15-bolt-carrier-group-2/

Product Specifications
    This bolt carrier group (BCG) includes a complete bolt assembly, firing pin, AR-15 bolt carrier and properly staked gas key. The carrier is chrome lined and has been MPI (Magnetic Particle Inspection) tested before leaving the factory to insure the highest product integrity and strength. All bolts are shot peened. The extractor includes an upgrade with the addition of a Viton O-Ring for enhanced performance and increased reliability. The BCG has been finished in a high quality MilSpec heavy duty phosphate for superior corrosion resistance.

5. JonM

JonM Moderator

when you do go to your class its a good idea to take a spare bcg and spare trigger group parts (trigger, hammer, sear, pins, springs, selector) even if your running a bcm or colt bcg...

nothing worse than paying for travel food hotel class ammo and in the first 50 rounds something stupid snaps and you wasted your weekend time and money for want a small thing.

6. purehavoc

purehavoc New Member

Just another reason to take a spare rifle to such events :D.
    I always take spare parts , but its nice to be able to just grab another gun and keep going and not stop the whole class. I have seen it to many times

7. Quentin

Quentin New Member

Actually that Red Barn BCG deviates from milspec quite a bit. AR-15 carrier and bolt not C158. 9310 may be ok but C158 is a sure thing. Nah, someone left the barn door open... Up to you.

8. fa35jsf

fa35jsf New Member

What length gas system? If it's a carbine length gas system then I have heard it's best to use a M16 BCG because it has extra weight which helps slow down the cyclic rate a little and smooths out the action.

Just what I have heard

9. Quentin

Quentin New Member

Actually the M16 carrier isn't a bad idea in carbine, mid and rifle gas lengths. They do call it M16 after all! :D

That extra 1/2 ounce isn't likely to hurt cycling unless you go over an H buffer.

10. sweeper22

sweeper22 New Member

I would keep an eye out for a BCM or PSA. Both have been available online for $200 give or take in the last week. Four of my six builds have BCMs and I've got a couple more set aside for spares/future builds.

As far as premium finish BCGs, I really like the STS Arms Microslick/Cerakoted M16. That's what I have in my other two builds. It's slick as snot and they can be had online for right around $200 also. They look good too. Sort of a rich satin dark gray. I would say the BCM/PSA is a more of a tough as nails, to hell and back bolt. The STS is very good, very unlikely to fail, and a smooth operator...but I suspect the bolt may be a slightly lesser 8620 steel underneath the Cerakote. Still good, better than most will need, but not 'the standard' many seek in a patrol-type setup. But I do prefer them greatly to the squeaky and blingy NiB and PC (pimp chrome) options.

11. mudpupp

mudpupp New Member

Thanks guys. I bought a nice mil spec phosphate PSA, from a 3rd party.

I have carbine m4 length rifles.
    I always take back up guns to my classes
    Pistol, rifle, or shotgun, but I also like to have drop in parts.

They have gunsmiths on site, but you never know how busy they will be.

Rather just pull the EOTech off one, put it on the other and go.

As always, you guys rock, and I am ready to roll

Mud

12. okdonk

okdonk New Member

In present situation and pricing.. they range from $160-225. The $225 is the BCM. I own Spike's, Noveske, BCM and PSA.
    I highly recommend the Spike's the least and BCM for the best.

13. Quentin

Quentin New Member

I think I know what you mean! :D

We don't talk much about Spikes Tactical here but they sell quality parts and rifles at a great price. Pre-madness they sold a milspec BCG for about $120. Rarely hear complaints about their products.

14. sweeper22

sweeper22 New Member

That's what I kept as a 'spare' up until a few months ago...a Spike's that I bought from JoeBob's for like $120. It was still sealed and sitting around potentially for a future build when I went ahead and listed it on EBay in early January. 24hr auction, and I started it at $0.99 with zero reserve and free shipping. Figured I'd sell it for $200 and replace it with a BCM at a later date. But the darn thing brought $385!

Almost everything Spike's makes is solid in my opinion. Probably not quite the best of the best, but better than most and generally at a fair price. Back when those BCGs could be had for $120 (had to be Johnny on the spot fast), you could also land a Spike's 16" ML upper, with the same BCG as well as a CH and MOE HG for just north of $500. I was trying to land one for some time, but I was never Johnny on the spot I guess.

15. okdonk

okdonk New Member

Spike's don't make their own products but i damn love them all. Quality, price and Spider logo :)

16. mudpupp

mudpupp New Member

Who makes Spikes?

17. okdonk

okdonk New Member

I forgot where i read.. someone said LMT makes them.

18. Quentin

Quentin New Member

Spikes gets parts from various sources. Some barrels from FN.

19. okdonk

okdonk New Member

Yes. FN for barrels, Seekins for rails. Aero Precision for their lowers.

20. BigBizz87

BigBizz87 New Member

Is there any way to tell what kind of bcg a rifle has in it of specs r not available on the manufacturers website? Trying to figure out what steel my bcg is