New ban on coffee mugs

Discussion in 'Illinois Gun Forum' started by KJG67, Jul 10, 2013.

1. KJG67

KJG67 New Member

Our Chief Law Enforcer, Princess Lisa - first she tries to keep law abiding citizens from concealed carry, now she's keeping law abiding citizens from evil coffee mugs. Let's see if Chicago follows up with a coffee ban now. Caffeine is a deadly drug you know. People might abuse coffee in a prescription cup.

http://www.illinoispolicy.org/blog/blog.asp?ArticleSource=6075

Illinois Attorney General Lisa Madigan has succeeded in taking down a serious threat to the fight against drug abuse – coffee mugs that look like prescription drug bottles.

Madigan, along with attorneys general from more than 20 other states, sent a joint letter on May 22 to Urban Outfitters CEO and Chairman Richard A. Hayne regarding the “controversial” product line his company was selling. The concerned party wrote:
    On behalf of the undersigned Attorneys General, we request that Urban Outfitters immediately cease sales of your “Prescription Line” of glasses, coasters, mugs, drink holders and related products that mimic prescription pill bottles and prescription pads.

Why?

Because, as the attorneys general said:
    There is a national health crisis related to the abuse and diversion of prescription drugs. As Attorneys General, we have prosecuted and engaged in outreach to stop this epidemic. We are actively engaged in a campaign of environmental change to educate the public that abuse of prescription drugs is not safe simply because the medication originated from a doctor. … By putting these highly recognizable labels on your products you are undermining our efforts.

The products in question include coffee mugs and shot glasses, meant to be humorous and satirical.

Ultimately, Urban Outfitters discontinued the prescription line products last month.

After receiving letters from several groups, including the attorneys general, Hayne released a statement that said:
    In the 20,000 products that comprise our assortment, there are styles that represent humor, satire, and hyperbole. In this extensive range of product we recognize that from time to time there may be individual items that are misinterpreted by people who are not our customer. As a result of this misinterpretation we are electing to discontinue these few styles from our current product offering.

Drug abuse is a serious issue – but coffee mugs play no role in perpetuating a cycle of dependence.

2. GTX63

GTX63 New Member

Because, as the attorneys general said:
    We are actively engaged in a campaign of environmental change to educate the public that abuse of prescription drugs is not safe simply because the medication originated from a doctor. … By putting these highly recognizable labels on your products you are undermining our efforts.

When did it become an AG's job to engage in mind control? Oh where would all of us poor witless slobs be without a Nanny and a teet to draw on?​

3. GTX63

GTX63 New Member

Just because I can, I just ordered one mug for my daughter and one for my wife from another site.

4. MisterMcCool

MisterMcCool Well-Known Member Supporter

If this goes viral they won't be able to keep up with demand.

5. AlphaKoncepts

AlphaKoncepts Member

This is just ridiculous. Since we can't do anything about the actual problem we'll just throw some feel good legislation at it. The way of the politician who is clueless.

6. Yunus

Yunus New Member

I guess free speech only applies to approved subjects as well.

All she did was increase the sales of these products.

7. shadecorp

shadecorp Active Member Supporter

Thank you for taking on such a serious matter.
    Too many people are
    enjoying coffee.
    I am Not going to buy one of these .
    Maybe buy two.
    :rolleyes:

8. KJG67

KJG67 New Member

I thought this was a joke when I first read it. Then realized this was completely serious, so had to post the story.

All hail Princess Lisa, savior of our kingdom.

9. nitestalker

nitestalker New Member

The Liberals are very selective about executions. They will kill the evil profit makers and take their wealth. However government mandated drug use though illegal is acceptable.
    Colorado is in clear violation of the Federal laws regarding controlled substance. Obama went to Colorado to condemn the clear Constitutional rights of the 2nd amendment. The Ant-Gun Left is supported by the drug cartels and their addicted clients. The Left is only concerned about votes.:(

10. johnr1943

johnr1943 New Member

Is there something in the water up there? :confused: