New Baby

Discussion in 'AK & SKS Discussion' started by Lupo, Oct 2, 2009.

1. Lupo

Lupo New Member

I got an Yugo SKS today!!! Still in cosmoline! Pictures to come!!! Except, how the hell do I get this gunk off!!! Shes beautiful. Im sooo pumped about it. Out the door it was 450 for 40 rounds of golden tiger, 20 targets, and the gun.

Does anyone know how to get the cosmoline off? Ive been told kersone? or clear break?

2. CA357

CA357 New Member Supporter

Gasoline works, baking it in an oven works, leaving it out in the sun works and an application of elbow grease will do the job. I don't know of any really easy way. Maybe someone else here has some tricks for you.

Enjoy it, it's actually part of the fun of Military Surplus rifles. ;)

3. FCross7

FCross7 New Member

Last edited: Oct 2, 2009
  4. Lupo

Lupo New Member

Gooogle is your friend, but dont believe everything you read on the internet. In a town next to mine, a kid read in a blog you can get high off "huffing" propane. He ingested 40 degrees below propane through his lungs and had to have his hand amputated, sort of random, but hey just dont believe all of it you know?

5. FCross7

FCross7 New Member

Very true, any yay hoo can make a page on the internet, but most here should be smart enough to weed out the bad ones. I read that article on the kid, and what I wanna know is how he got the propane out of the tank, unless it was a 100# tank, the propane doesn't just come out when you open the valve, there has to be something screwed onto it to open it up.

-Fred

6. CA357

Maybe we should say google and common sense are your friend. ;)

7. FCross7

FCross7 New Member

Consider my post fixed.

8. Lupo

Lupo New Member

Well said my Italian friend!

9. dunerunner

dunerunner New Member

Congrats on the new arrival!! I would think an automotive solvent tank would be a good option for a wash down.

10. Lupo

Lupo New Member

The stock is a little tacky too. How would I go about that and thank you for the posts, also that link was excellant.

11. CA357

The cosmoline should come off the stock fairly easily. Some guys actually put their stock in the top of a dishwasher and let 'er rip. It's supposed to do a great job. The oven or the sun will work, but expect the stock to ooze for a while, it may take several cleanings to get it really clean.

12. Lupo

Lupo New Member

I am having a real problem seperating the stock from the reciever. I have stripped the magazine, the trigger assembly, and the gas area. I flipped the bayonet up and the damn thing wont budge. Any advice.

13. res45

res45 New Member

I take it the cleaning rod is out,the Yugo's have been in cosmoline for quiet some time the stuff can be like glue when it comes to separating the stock from the receiver.

Best way to separate it is to warm it up in the hot sun a little if possible then place the rifle receiver down and prop the back of the stock up slightly and use a wooden dowel and hammer through the trigger group hole and gently tap it out.

Don't use gas to remove cosmoline to explosive K1 Kerosene or plain old HOT soapy water works fine. Here is a good site on the SKS lots of useful info. I would clean my stock with mineral spirits,you can also use low heat to bake the cosmo out of the wood I don't recommend putting a wooded stock in a dishwasher or any water for that matter you may have some fit issued from the stock swelling up getting the receiver and trigger group back in. Also always make sure you cock the rifle let the bolt go back forward put the safety on before removing the trigger group makes getting it back in a whole lot easier.

Collecting and Shooting the SKS Carbine - HISTORY

14. Lupo

Lupo New Member

here she is :D

Attached Files: