New AR's in the mail

Discussion in 'AR-15 Discussion' started by Poltax, Jun 8, 2012.

1. Poltax

Poltax New Member

Well, I finally signed up to post on this site. I have been reading threads for the last year or so. I already have 2 16" Stags, which by the way have served my wife & I very well. We have taken them to a couple of AR courses and they have run flawlessly.

I have had the bug to do a couple of more AR's. So I followed the lead of some of you. I have 2 BCM mid length light weight 16" uppers on the way and in the mail. Also, 2 BCM BCG Auto version. Magpul furniture to be attached. Lowers will be Superior or Grizzly sitting in the safe.

So I am looking forward to what these 2 new AR's will be like. My wife was pretty excited when she found out they would weigh a bit less then the Stags we already have.

By the way, my home town area is the same as the Q-man. My folks live in Meridian. We however are based in UT, but my job gets me back to ID all the time.

2. lbwar15

lbwar15 New Member

How is that going to fit in your mail box lol jk. Congrats on your new toys. And welcome to our community.

3. Quentin

Quentin New Member

Sounds good, Poltax. All we need now are pictures and range reports! And of course you've got to get your folks building something too. :D

4. AgentTikki

AgentTikki New Member

Ask JonM about one of those puppy paw handguards......your wife might like em!

If you have a bit of extra funds, I'd recommend trying out a light weight 12" handguard for taking courses with. It really helps you control the muzzle when you get your support hand out by the muzzle. Magpul funiture is a great looking and ergonomic and a cost effective option, but by no means would I consider it a lw option.

5. MikeJK

MikeJK New Member

Good news. Look forward to seeing them pinned to those lowers.

6. Poltax

Poltax New Member

Returned home today and there was a package on the door step. Was not what I was looking for. I did get the MOE handguards, firing pins, LPK's. Hopefully the uppers will show up on Monday.

AgentTikki....what brand of light weight plastic do you recommend?

I googled the puppy handguards. She might like those. What she really wants is an AR in Red, White & Blue colors. I have not seen any plastic in those colors anywhere. If someone has a lead on that let me know. I guess I could work up a color scheme and paint it myself. Not really sure how long the paint job would actually last.

7. Poltax

Poltax New Member

Happy day, uppers, BCG's, delivered today. I put the hand guards on the uppers. I am still waiting to decide on the stocks. CTR or the STR. I did install the uppers on my current Superior lowers. They fit like a glove.

When I opened up the BCG's, I noticed that there was an O ring in the package. Is this an extra or do I need to install it.

BCM is great, they sent 2 sets of 2 DV'Ds, 2 hats, 2 sets of posters, & tons of stickers. I have never seen that from any company I have ever ordered from before. Kudo's out to BCM for quick shipping and the swag. Just ordering 2 uppers, I cant imagine what you might get if you ordered half a dozen.

8. AgentTikki

AgentTikki New Member

The O-ring is likely a spare for the one under the extractor spring.

I recommend the Midwest SS Gen 2 handguards, Samson Evo handguards or Troy Vtac Alpha handguards all are lightweight and sturdy.

If you go for a quad rail, I know LaRue makes index clips that come in red, white and blue.

The STR or the ACS-L are both what I'd be looking at.

9. Quentin

Quentin New Member

My BCM (and Daniel Defense) BCGs did not have an O ring installed, my ArmaLite did but I removed it. I follow BCM and DD's lead and don't use them, just keep for a spare.

10. broke-again124

broke-again124 New Member

Just to let you know I just received two bcm bcg and they came with the o ring in the package as well. Upon breakdown inspection, neither had the o rings installed. So you probably should check because you probably don't have them.

11. Poltax

Poltax New Member

So here are some pics of the uppers, BCG & Charging Handles

006.jpg

007.jpg

008.jpg

I will double check to make sure the O ring is installed. Thanks.

As I stated above, I mated these up with my Superior lowers that I am using with my Stag uppers. They fit very nice. I also have 2 LAR Grizzley lowers just sitting in the safe. Did not get a chance to mate those up last night. I like the Superior lowers because they have the screw adjustment to tighten up the trigger so there is no slack.

12. Quentin

Quentin New Member

The O rings are there just in case you have extraction problems which could happen if the BCG went in an oddball upper. I wouldn't use them in a BCM midlength, though there are disagreements here. There's a reason BCM and DD don't install them in the first place - and just leave them off to the side as yours were.

Now if down the road your extractor spring gets weak, the O ring can be used as a bandaid to get you up and running again until you replace the spring and insert.

13. broke-again124

My DD complete upper came with the o ring installed. My bcm bcg that I ordered did not. I'm thinking about just calling and asking if they're needed or not.

14. MikeJK

MikeJK New Member

Q already answered that question for you. They say not to use it.

15. broke-again124

So is it just to add tension to the extractor or what? I mean they put them in there for some reason right?

16. MikeJK

MikeJK New Member

You are correct.

17. Poltax

Poltax New Member

I am in need of some help in obtaining buffer tubes. BCM is out, and has been for the last 2 weeks since I have been looking for parts. I have looked at Brownells & Midway. I just want to make sure I am getting a quality product. I want the Mil-Spec version. Are the DPMS brand good. Any suggestions would be a big help. My finger is itching to get these all together.

18. Poltax

Poltax New Member

Double posted. What a geek.......not a computer geek that is.

19. Quentin

Quentin New Member

Tell us more about the DD upper... SBR? Carbine length gas? You need to fill in the blanks. Normally the o ring isn't used, especially for midlength and rifle gas, you can if you want.

20. Quentin

Quentin New Member

DPMS normally isn't mil spec diameter. Have you tried PSA?