Firearms Talk banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Good afternoon all, my name is Randy. I joined this site to try to gain some information about AR 15 platform rifles. It seems everyone has an opinion about these rifles but what I want to know about is accuracy. I am looking for something light in weight that comes up fast (chambered in .223 or 5.56 NATO) and will hit accurately @ 150 to 200 yards. By accurately I mean 1-1.5 moa. If anyone can enlighten me as to what they have, how it shoots etc. I would be greatly appreciative.

A nation that draws to broad a difference between its scholars and its warriors will have its thinking done by cowards and its fighting done by fools.---Thucidides

·
Banned
23,968 Posts
Welcome Randy - There is a whole forum dedicated to the AR platform and you will find some very well informed people here.

As for me, I have two lowers and several uppers, but I don't own a "sniper" or "long range tactical" variant. I have a couple of pictures in my gallery of my 17" with the collapsible stock and EOTech sight.

It would appear that you are looking more towards a long range tactical variant because of the distance, in excess of 150 yards, and your MOA guidelines. A lot of people will give you the old "I used to hit head shots at 600 yards with my M-16 and open sights" and that's great, but for consistent Minute of Angle accuracy, I think you need a purpose built upper. That is the nice thing about AR's though - you can have a long range upper, and then remove it and snap in a CQB upper and be ready to rock.

Poke around and see if you can get the info you are looking for, but if not, shoot me a PM and I will put you in touch with the Master 'Smith who runs the shop I work part time in who can answer every question you could possibly come up with.

Regards,

JD

1 - 2 of 2 Posts