New Army Pistol

Discussion in 'General Handgun Discussion' started by Jagermeister, Mar 21, 2013.

1. Jagermeister

Jagermeister New Member

There has been talk about testing/trials for a new US Army standard issue pistol. Another member, OlympicFox, suggested the M&P. I say fair enough. What do the members of this forum think will be the next sidearm? Why? Let us not just put a gun down without a reason. Winner gets bragging rights. I personally believe it will be a polymer gun (for harsh environments)with safety/decocker and will have rails (this time). It will continue to be a 9mm to meet NATO standards. It will also be low cost (let the sneakiness begin). I suggest it will be an HK2000v3. I know it does not have a safety, but meets the other criteria. HK has great customer service and the US factory will supply parts.

2. rockratt

rockratt Active Member Lifetime Supporter

No more plastic pistols!!!1911

3. nitestalker

nitestalker New Member

Obama has the best Democrat firearms experts designing the new U.S. Military handgun. This is what the California Based Finestien Firearms Institute has come up with.

Attached Files:

4. danf_fl

danf_fl Retired Supporter

IMO, the military should stay with the platform they know works and has worked for over 100 years and they have some in the inventory already.

The 1911a1

5. Jagermeister

Jagermeister New Member

So far 1911 and a flintlock. Where is the Joey Biden special? In all seriousness I am curious to see if someone picks the right gun. A little birdie tells me it will be an off the shelf firearm.

6. bluez

bluez Well-Known Member

A Sig P2xx series gun is most likely IMO. Already in service in parts of the military and generally well reecived.

7. JonM

JonM Moderator

The military is about as likely to switch from the m16 as it is from the beretta. As good as the 1911 is the military sidearm isnt gonna change for the foreseeable future.

Wars arent fought and won with pistols. The only reason there could possibly be a change is if beretta goes belly up. The biggest reason the change ftom 1911 to m9 happened was money. It cost more to field new 1911s than it did to replace them all with the m9

The reason we switched from revolver to the 1911 was cost and time. It was cheaper and faster to produce a simple 1911 than a complicated revolver.

So until the majority of m9 are worn out and there is also a cheaper semi reliable gun that performs as well as the m9 there isnt going to be a new general issue sidearm.

Same is true for the m16 platform.

8. Jagermeister

Jagermeister New Member

Actually the m9s are wearing out. I see their conditions on a daily basis. hell, I was plinking with another 226 owner who is taking hs Sig on his deployment. I see pictures of troops with their own Glocks in desert. The rumors are hitting the ranks. In all honesty I hear folks wanting the M & P 45 with threaded barrel. M4 is going to be around for awhile. HK is still working on their sci-fi rifle for the Army. No promises form the US though. Still, with the sequester....

9. HockaLouis

HockaLouis New Member

Sorry, that has a pistol grip. Washington insists on a new handgun WITHOUT that...

Attached Files:

Last edited: Mar 21, 2013
  10. orangello

orangello New Member

I would humbly suggest the Springfield XD45 with the optional safety lever. It may not be a 1911, but at least it is .45acp. If they can't have hollowpoint projectiles, they need larger projectiles.

11. kiabe1

kiabe1 New Member

Id like to see a cz75 variant personally

12. Jagermeister

Jagermeister New Member

CZ handguns are very popular in Eastern European military and LEO circles. They have been proven. Very interesting.

13. Donn

Donn Active Member

Last I heard, the Army extended their contract with Beretta for 5 years.

14. HockaLouis

HockaLouis New Member

The Makarov!

LOL, sorry, can't even type that with a straight face. They were already obsolete the first day they were manufactured except to some rednecks who bought 'em for $89 when they were imported en masse and were amazed they even worked so put 'em on a pedestal...

Dur!

15. DrumJunkie

DrumJunkie New Member

If they are going to change and don't want the 1911 (though I can't see why) Then Sig or CZ would be the best choices. I'd lean to a Sig. Being their love of the 9mm the 226 makes a great deal of sense.

16. SSGN_Doc

SSGN_Doc Well-Known Member

I wouldn't be surprised to see a polymer framed firearm, but it wouldn't be a show stopper to see them stick with an alloy frame. I would see another set of trials opened to several manufacturers again. As someone else pointed out, wars aren't won with handguns, so I don't see a move away from the 9mm. Power to weight ratio, and cost of ammo make it a logical choice from a supply standpoint. Keeping some .45s in stock for special operations is not a huge deal.

The 1911 is a great pistol in a historical sense, but combat pistols have evolved, and the cost of manufacturing is probably a bit on the high side, plus a double/single action that gives an immediate second strike capability in the event of a failed primer is a worthwhile feature. This would preclude striker fired guns and single actions.

I would imagine a good double/single action would be in order. A positive safety with a decocking feature is nice for this configuration. I'm not opposed to a decocker alone with a good long first trigger pull.

I'm pretty sure, that many manufacturers could come up with good offerings. Beretta, Sig, Smith and Wesson, Colt, and any other folks that want to submit a design for consideration.

H&K has good customer service for agencies, but what I remember when dealing with them as an individual was not that great. Their prices are high for what you get. They do make good stuff, but they would have to choke down some pride to get their contract prices in the ball park, or just use the military contract for marketing and soak individual gun owners who must have the latest military gear.

I haven't seen any folks show up in theater with their own personal Glock, unless they were contractors. Some folks trained local police and equiped them with Glocks. There are a few Sigs in inventory, and only units filled with Smiths and Joneses seemed to have much beyond the standard issue Beretta.

17. indy36

indy36 New Member

Give em' Gen3 Glock 34s. It's accurate, light, tough, reliable, has a built-in rail, it's easy to work on, and has only 34 parts.

18. JonM

JonM Moderator

wearing out isnt the sole criteria. its also the current parts in inventory replacing those and if there is anything at better price point that can totally replace current inventory.

it took nearly 60 years to go through the reserve back stock of 1911 parts before the military decided to open up to a new handgun.

i dont see anything replacing the beretta anytime soon.

19. yazul42

yazul42 Active Member Lifetime Supporter

I would agree that the U.S. will not change their primary issue pistol, perhaps they will purchase variants for elite and specialized units, but there is no real need to change in my opinion. When I was in the service, we still had C-Rats and packs from the Korean era,, Uncle Sam does not like to throw stuff away if it still works and I am sure that every M9 out there could be refurbished with a lot less expense than getting bids, testing, retesting, and the whole process of aquiring a new standard sidearm and you know they would never sell the old M9's to the public as military surplus to recup some of the expense.

20. deadsp0t

deadsp0t New Member

Glock 19. It's a proven weapon, parts available world wide, 9mm, holds plenty of rounds.

Personally I'd say stay with the 1911 but, the Glock performs reliably after long periods of not being cleaned in harsh environments where as my beloved 1911 prefers to be clean an has been known to be picky in terms of ammo and mags.