Firearms Talk banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone, I was trying to find another AR that I want to get, and I found this one at my local store. It’s a West Coast Weaponworks and it’s pretty sweet, I believe it comes as you see it. Price is $2000. That is pretty hefty but it also comes with this level 3 plate carrier. Anyone want to chime in wether this is worth it or should I move on? I will include pictures. Please let me know if this is outrageous or not! I don’t know much about body armor but I’d kind of like to get in to it. All advice is welcome!

·
Registered
560 Posts
I think the price is stupid high when you can buy say a ruger 556 for around 700.00. The same optic as on that rifle ( though id get a different one personally) and still be well under that price ..

But if its what you want go for it.
The armor depends on the plate rating. Just because its steel doesnt mean much.
A 55 gr ball 556 round will penetrate anything up to level 3 + armor

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I think the price is stupid high when you can buy say a ruger 556 for around 700.00. The same optic as on that rifle ( though id get a different one personally) and still be well under that price ..

But if its what you want go for it.
The armor depends on the plate rating. Just because its steel doesnt mean much.
A 55 gr ball 556 round will penetrate anything up to level 3 + armor
Thanks for the input, I thought it seemed extremely high. I don't necessarily need the body armor, I just thought it was a cool deal. But I think I can find a better gun for cheaper too.

·
Supporting Member
12,200 Posts
Tcrowley

First of all I have been in the industry for years and have never heard of West Coast Weaponworks.
And I guess before I spent that kind of money I would at least pick a well established manufacturer with good customer service ratings. And unless you need or would use that Plate Vest you can certainly get a good set up for a little less.
My question is since it already has a Sling on it could we assume the rifle is used?
Also what Model EOTech is on the Rifle? The following is just one example of what I am referring to. There are a lot of good rifles out there. Of course you would probably need to have a dealer do a transfer for you! I doubt that this dealer would be willing to do a transfer for you since they want to sell that particular rifle and Vest at $2000.00

For Example: List Retail Price is $1149.00 on the Stag Arms AR-15 Tactical RHCHPHS 16" that is set up similar to the Rifle in your picture stock and all. If it has an EOTech Model 512 on it Retail is $499.99. With the EOTech Model 552 NV Compatible Retail is $569.00. Of course shopping around sometimes you can buy them for less than Retail!
So that total would mean you have $1648.99 in the Stag Rifle with an EOTech Model 512 on it.
Or $1718,00 with the Model 552 NV Comp. EOTech on the Rifle.
So with the Model 512 on the Rifle have would have $351.00 in the Vest.
And $ 282.00 in the Vest with the 552 NV Comp EOTech on the Rifle.

Although I like EOTech Optics there are also other good optics like Aimpoint, Vortex and other depending on what you want to spend.
So IMO it basically would boil down to your thoughts of the Vest's worth to you. And keep in mind ,the plates would need to be of at least 500 Steel or compatible. One other thing that some do not tell you about the Vests with Plates. Is if the vest is not built correctly with the Plates with enough layers of Kevlar type material. Is that if it is shot with a high power rifle the shrapnel can come splatter and exit the Vest Material. During SWAT Testing getting ready to buy new Vests for the Tea. We made a manikin body with one of the Beauty School Foam Heads on it. The first Vest we tested that was supposedly at the right level with the Plates. We shot it at 25 yards with a 308 Rifle. We hit the vest dead center on the chest plate. The bullet hit the plate solid inside the Vest Material and the shrapnel from the Bullet came up through the Vest Material and *shaved the Face off of the Foam Head! BOOOO! So one has to be careful about a Vest. Just for information only!
Long story short the Vests we bought had an additional 8 layers of Kevlar rapping the Plates.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Tcrowley

First of all I have been in the industry for years and have never heard of West Coast Weaponworks.
And I guess before I spent that kind of money I would at least pick a well established manufacturer with good customer service ratings. And unless you need or would use that Plate Vest you can certainly get a good set up for a little less.
My question is since it already has a Sling on it could we assume the rifle is used?
Also what Model EOTech is on the Rifle? The following is just one example of what I am referring to. There are a lot of good rifles out there. Of course you would probably need to have a dealer do a transfer for you! I doubt that this dealer would be willing to do a transfer for you since they want to sell that particular rifle and Vest at $2000.00

For Example: List Retail Price is $1149.00 on the Stag Arms AR-15 Tactical RHCHPHS 16" that is set up similar to the Rifle in your picture stock and all. If it has an EOTech Model 512 on it Retail is $499.99. With the EOTech Model 552 NV Compatible Retail is $569.00. Of course shopping around sometimes you can buy them for less than Retail!
So that total would mean you have $1648.99 in the Stag Rifle with an EOTech Model 512 on it.
Or $1718,00 with the Model 552 NV Comp. EOTech on the Rifle.
So with the Model 512 on the Rifle have would have $351.00 in the Vest.
And $ 282.00 in the Vest with the 552 NV Comp EOTech on the Rifle.

Although I like EOTech Optics there are also other good optics like Aimpoint, Vortex and other depending on what you want to spend.
So IMO it basically would boil down to your thoughts of the Vest's worth to you. And keep in mind ,the plates would need to be of at least 500 Steel or compatible. One other thing that some do not tell you about the Vests with Plates. Is if the vest is not built correctly with the Plates with enough layers of Kevlar type material. Is that if it is shot with a high power rifle the shrapnel can come splatter and exit the Vest Material. During SWAT Testing getting ready to buy new Vests for the Tea. We made a manikin body with one of the Beauty School Foam Heads on it. The first Vest we tested that was supposedly at the right level with the Plates. We shot it at 25 yards with a 308 Rifle. We hit the vest dead center on the chest plate. The bullet hit the plate solid inside the Vest Material and the shrapnel from the Bullet came up through the Vest Material and *shaved the Face off of the Foam Head! BOOOO! So one has to be careful about a Vest. Just for information only!
Long story short the Vests we bought had an additional 8 layers of Kevlar rapping the Plates.

Thank you for all the insight. Very much appreciated! I feel like the company west coast weapon works just sounds like some ghetto a$$ company that overhauls your car to DONK it out. Maybe that is just my opinion though. As far as it being used, it is a new rifle. I did ask that. I do not know much about the particular model of the EOTech on this AR, that would probably be good to know more about that. The reason I am trying to gauge whether it is worth it or not is because I am in school to become a police officer, and some departments make you buy our own gear, so trying to get some more help from others who know more about this kind of stuff. So thank you for that. Not a necessity right now but still looking at it to learn more. I think the reason it comes with a sling is because they are trying to make it like a "bundle" and you get all of that. They said it is level 3 armor, but like you said a 308 round went right through that. Also like @Wolfspirit mentioned, a 55 grain 556 ball round will go right through it too. I think I will try and find something else and maybe build something more quality for that kind of money. I thought that price was a bit excessive.

Overall, thank you for the information about everything!

·
Premium Member
906 Posts
Here is the product page on the carrier and (assuming) the plates that came with it.
And the page for the rifle. While a bit high because of the times, might he a nice rifle.

Maybe you could sweet talk them into throwing some ammo in on it.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
UPDATE:

I ended up going with a different AR. I went with a Battle Arms Development Workhorse. It is super light, the trigger is a mil-spec trigger I believe but it's about 5 pounds, which feels lighter. I am going to put a vortex spitfire had gen ii 3x prism scope on it. It is a really nice optic. I have one picture of it but will post more when I pick it up sometime this week. I bought it Friday and the background check was running SIX DAYS. That is the longest I have had to wait for any of my firearms. Not a big deal but I'm ready to bring her home! Here she is! It's a pretty sweet grey color too. Some info about this company, I guess this guy was a lead engineer for Daniel's Defense before he started this company. So that is pretty cool, almost a DD gun with a different name. Still phenomenal quality though. Even came with the hard case too!!

·
Registered
2 Posts

My 2021 S&W M&P AR-15 Sport II
Loving this gun
I put an Atibal SR-1 and a Sig Sauer 3x Magnifier, a Magpul front hand grip, streamliner Light with remote control, Tactical tailstock with 1” soft shoulder pad, and softer rubber rear handgrip, a Magpul Bad Lever and and CMT Trigger

·
Registered
593 Posts
I love my new 2021 S&W M&P AR-15 Sport II Optic’s Ready model
You and me. Where else can you get a gun made by the most recognized name in firearms with a lifetime warranty and also get a gun that is well made and just plain works. It may be labeled as a "cheap", "entry level" (what the hell does that mean?), gun but it works every time, is well made and will outlast anyone on this forum. Guns with status names don't mean anything to me other than you spend a lot more money and some people feel better about it, which is fine.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
View attachment 241009 View attachment 241010
My 2021 S&W M&P AR-15 Sport II
Loving this gun
I put an Atibal SR-1 and a Sig Sauer 3x Magnifier, a Magpul front hand grip, streamliner Light with remote control, Tactical tailstock with 1” soft shoulder pad, and softer rubber rear handgrip, a Magpul Bad Lever and CMT Trigger
This thing looks awesome!! I am excited to shoot mine. I want to go to a range with longer booths so I can try out the magnified vortex on mine.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts