New AR Build - S&W M&P 15 ORC base rifle with upgrades

Discussion in 'AR-15 Discussion' started by moshpit, Apr 20, 2010.

1. moshpit

moshpit New Member

Hi all,

My first post on these forums, I thought I'd share my recent rifle upgrading project. Nothing spectacular or amazing, but a lot of fun none the less. I bought a Smith and Wesson M&P 15 ORC from Academy Sports about 2 weeks ago and went online to various places and gathered up my parts to make it exactly how I wanted it.

This was how it looked when I first brought it home:

[​IMG]

After 2 weeks of gathering parts, it now looks like this:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

After completing it, I finally took it out to the range to zero it and have some fun. This beasty is as smooth as I could ask, I'm totally pleased with the end result. It's my first personal owned AR, but I've fired many over the years.

The completed parts list is as follows:
    Smith and Wesson M&P 15 ORC,
    Eotech 512.A65 Holographic Optics,
    UTG Quad Rail w/ Free Float Extension,
    ATI Ergonomic Pistol Grip,
    Yankee Hill Front and Rear flip-up backup iron sights,
    Yankee Hill 1/2" Rail Riser for receiver,
    Magpul Angled Fore Grip,
    Yankee Hill QD Ambidextrous Single Point Sling adapter,
    Condor Single Point Sling,
    6 Magpul 30 round P-Mags (3 w/ window, bought the extra 5 mags and specified Magpul because I love their P-mags),
    UTG Tactical LED flashlight w/mount

Edit: Added recent parts additions

Last edited: Apr 20, 2010
  2. canebrake

canebrake New Member

Nice piece of kit Greg! [​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 21, 2010

3. 50of4064

50of4064 Lifetime Supporting Member Lifetime Supporter

Wecome! I joined some time ago and kinda sat with my back to the wall so to speak. didn't know what to expect. The site ROCKS, Nice ride !

4. Troy Michalik

Troy Michalik Is it Friday yet? Supporter

Good morning and welcome aboard. We are glad to have you here.

Nice work btw

5. NitroxAZ

NitroxAZ New Member

Welcome to the FTF Community.

6. AsmelEduardo

AsmelEduardo New Member

Welcome from Venezuela

Welcome and glad to have you around!:D
    Nice SUR.

7. notdku

notdku Administrator Staff Member

Welcome to Firearms Talk, nice pics!

8. moshpit

moshpit New Member

Wow, guys! Thanks for the warm welcome, I can see this is an active forum!

SUR = Short Utility Rifle? If so, sounds appropriate. That's basicly what it is. Home defense, range plinker, and required tacticool accessory :p

Edit: Also, canebrake, the NRA link is broken. But no sweat, Google is my friend, I shall endeavor to find my way there using the part of your link I recognize + google.

Edit #2: Also added a couple new parts today, nothing terribly exciting, but rather useful none the less. I added a UTG Tactical LED light with mount to the lower front rail and a Yankee Hill 1/2" height, 6" long rail riser to the upper receiver rail to lift the Eotech and rear flip up BUIS and allow me to get a proper co-witness on my sights. Will take pics later and post.

Last edited: Apr 20, 2010
  9. moshpit

moshpit New Member

Sorry to double post, but adding an "edit #4" to add another pic seemed sillier then the double post. So, here's with the riser and tac light:

[​IMG]

10. Gatekeeper

Gatekeeper New Member

Welcome to FTF from SW Pa!

11. moshpit

moshpit New Member

Thanks! You guys getting any good shooting weather up there yet or are the bullets still freezing in the mags?

12. AsmelEduardo

AsmelEduardo New Member

SUR= Sport Utility Rifle :D

13. moshpit

moshpit New Member

Yeah, um, yeah, I mean SPORT, yeah, I um, accidentally typed short when I meant sport... I mean, um... I was testing you! Yeah! That's it! I was testing you and you passed! :cool: :p (okay, now that I have completely failed to cover that one up, on to something more interesting)

On a more serious question, does the fact that it's a shorter 16" barrel make it a "sport utility rifle" or is there any difference with what I built versus if I just went with a 18" or 20" barrel instead? I know when you get into the 14.5 and below they are called an SBR I think?

Bear with me guys, I've been outta the loop for too many years here and am playing catch up.

14. IGETEVEN

IGETEVEN New Member

Welcome to the FT forum community sir! There's lots of good people and firearm knowledge to be shared here for the asking and plenty of very informational threads to search out. Just jump in, speak out and hold on! :cool:

SUR was a name adopted by the civilian sector to call and better describe AR's, AK's and other semi-auto rifles, to accurately portray their uses in a civilian, non-combat populace. ;)

Jack

15. moshpit

moshpit New Member

Hey all,

Just a heads up, I asked cane to move this thread over here since the thread is less of an introduction and more of a AR discussion thread. I'm still open to discussion, suggestions and ideas :D

16. The_Rican

The_Rican New Member

Welcome to the FTF!!! I just got here about a month a go and love it. Nice SUR!!!

17. moshpit

moshpit New Member

Well, after a bit of research and soul searching, I've decided to dump the UTG quad rail system completely. It is a little heavy, though that's not so much the reason as potential future issues with a lower quality rail system. I've heard some recent horror stories about people dropping a rifle into their trunk after a long range day, and bending or breaking a rail or mounting point. While the UTG is hard anodized steel, I'm thinking that the more maliable nature of steel makes it more prone to bending damage then hard anodized aluminum? The reason I even say that is the people telling the horror stories they went to an anodized aluminum rail set to not have that happen again.

The thing is, handguard rail sets come in free floating and non free floating form. I know a 16" barrel rifle won't benefit as much from being free-floated as a 18-20" will, but the lessons of doing so anyway would be of future benefit to me (besides, even if it's of not much benefit, it doesn't hurt anything I think). I decided that if I'm going to do this, I'm jumping in with both feet, and the UTG was a poor attempt to cheat my way around doing this the right way.

So, to that end, I have today received my Daniel Defense Omega X FSP 12.0 handguard rail system and am sitting here looking at it and wishing all the other stuff needed to make this happen was here already. I have no real gun smithing tools at all. To make all this work though, I'm going to have to change the gas block over to a Yankee Hill flip up sight and gas block combo unit (without bayonet lug or sling mount) which from all appearances should be compatible with the DD Omega X system I picked (has the cut out for gas block sights). This has been ordered and is on it's way, should be here by monday.

To accomplish this task, I needed tools, lots o them. I therefore ordered a AR 15 receiver vice-block (supposed to be compatible with S&W and most others as well), A roller pin punch kit, a DD proprietary wrench (Omega/OmegaX install specific), and a .223 armorer's wrench. All of that is incoming from Brownells now, ordered last night. I know I will need a proper vice (already eyeballing one) and I have a decent smallish hammer (not one of the nicer brass ones unfortunately, but still should work I think).

When I am finished, this wil NEVER be called a "K-Mart" rifle ever again (at least once the stock job is done as well, that's coming next). I'm not poor, or stupid, or trying to be an armchair commando. I'm just new to this. And I will learn and prosper.

Edit: The side effect of all this, is that the mismatched front sight is coming off, so the riser will no longer be needed either. Everything will line up naturally the way it's supposed to. No more "work around".

Last edited: Apr 30, 2010
  18. moshpit

moshpit New Member

My plans have been through about 3 different revisions since I posted last. The final revision of my plans did work out though. I still have the DD Omega X 12.0 FSP laying around unused at this point, so I may rebuild the old upper receiver with it. But for now I've given up trying to install it since the gas block on the M&P 15 was practically soldered on (the OR and ORC model comes with a single piece gas block that is held in place by a single soldered in pin). Removal of the gas block from that barrel is possible, but will take a lot of time and effort to do without ruining the barrel.

So, in the meantime, I won't be stuck on a "K-Mart" rifle. I ordered a YHM Black Diamond Specter upper assembly and slapped it right on. Perfect match up to the S&W lower, no play at all, all function checks are 100%.

Here's the new rifle with the changes:
    [​IMG]

And the new specs:
    YHM Black Diamond Specter upper receiver assembly
    YHM Bolt Carrier Group
    YHM 16" Chrome-Moly Vanadium Steel Barrel, Heat Treated to RC 25-32, Chambered 5.56x45, Chrome-Lined, 1:9" twist, Diamond Fluting
    YHM Phantom 5C2 Flash Hider / Compensator
    YHM Specter Length Diamond Handguard
    YHM Forearm Endcap
    YHM Low Profile Gas Block
    YHM Forearm Mounted Flip Front Sight
    YHM Flip Rear Sight
    S&W M&P 15 lower receiver, complete with buffer tube, all internals, and 6 position stock
    Magpul Angled Fore Grip
    ATI Ergonomic pistol grip
    UTG Taclight
    Eotech 512.A65 Holographic Optics
    DD ambidex QD single point sling mount
    Condor Single Point Sling

3x Lancer L5 30 round clear mags (loving on the metal feed lips, mags only feel flimsy until you put the first round in it, and then the whole thing becomes solid as a Pmag)
    3x Magpul Pmag 30 round solid mags
    3x Magpul Pmag 30 round windowed counter mags

19. moshpit

moshpit New Member

[​IMG]

DD Omega X installed and fully operational on the other upper. I now have 2 complete upper assemblies to play with, the YHM Black Diamond Specter, and this S&W/DD/YHM hybrid. I'll admit, I like the hybrid better. Mainly because I can flip down the front sight flush with the top rail, making a snag free front area, that is also devoid of any viewing obstructions for optics. I also like the hybrid better because I actually put all the work into building it up with the help of another forum I visit. So I'm particularly partial to it from the effort that went into making it happen and the crazy story behind how that went.

I know I did good on this one, Addax from Addax Tactical complimented the build and called it a winner. Other users called it unique because of the flip sight mounting into the rails the way they do, but I don't think unique would be accurate, just rare maybe. I know I can not be the first to think this one up, it seems like a pretty basic idea with off the shelf components and a little dremel work.

Specs for this build:
    S&W M&P 15 (Cerro Forge) upper receiver
    S&W M&P 15 standard BCG
    S&W M&P 15 16" standard carbine barrel
    Daniel Defense Omega X 12.0 FSP rail system
    YHM flip hooded front sight gas block
    YHM flip rear sight
    YHM Phantom 5C2 flash suppressor/compensator
    S&W M&P 15 lower receiver, complete with buffer tube, all internals, and 6 position stock
    Magpul Angled Fore Grip
    ATI Ergonomic pistol grip
    Eotech 512.A65 Holographic Optics
    DD ambidex QD single point sling mount
    Condor Single Point Sling

Leaving the tac light on the YHM BDS upper and getting a new S&W M&P 15 lower for that setup to have a second rifle up and running. Will also get a second Eotech for it since the hybrid upper gets first dibs on the one I have.