New AR build checklist

Discussion in 'AR-15 Discussion' started by drclaw5, Nov 11, 2011.

1. drclaw5

drclaw5 New Member

Alright fellas here is my list. I need some input as this is my first build. What am I missing? What should I stay away from? this is somewhat of a budget build but I don't want to sacrifice quality and be unhappy with what I build.

lower:
    Spikes stripped lower rec
    spikes lower parts kit
    Magpul Carbine Stock dark earth
    DSA complete buffer tube kit
    Magpul MIAD mission adaptable grip dark earth
    Magpul PMAG Magazine dark earth

Tools:
    Roll pin starter punch set

Complete upper: (really need input on this side of things)
    found this one *Surplus Ammo & Arms Complete AR-15 M4 16" Upper Receiver 5.56 1:9 - Surplus Ammo
    but not sure if this is a decent upper or not.

Thanks in advance! This site is incredibly helpful and informative!

2. dog2000tj

dog2000tj New Member

Sounds like a good start and that's a pretty darned good price for a complete upper ;)

3. drclaw5

drclaw5 New Member

thanks! on that upper is it a free float rail system? I am still learning about the uppers.

4. dog2000tj

dog2000tj New Member

The MagPul MOE handguards are an upgraded version for the clamshells. They are not free float rails but will allow the attachment of accessory items and are probably lightweight enough to not affect accuracy.

5. drclaw5

drclaw5 New Member

thanks man i really appreciate it! I think im gonna jump on this deal

6. Redarrow18

Redarrow18 New Member

seems good to me! may i ask how much the rifle costs total?

7. drclaw5

drclaw5 New Member

Probably end up about $700 or maybe a little less if I can find some sales on some of the items.

8. Quentin

Quentin New Member

Hope you're also following ShirtRIPPA's recent thread, Claw, since you're talking about the same upper and getting different opinions...

9. Vincine

Vincine New Member

Brownells has a AR 15 builder site:

AR-15 Builder - Build and Customize your own AR15 | Brownells

If you click on the ‘Build your lower receiver’ & Build your upper receiver’ buttons, it displays the areas you need to have covered.

There's also a 'How to build an AR 15' instructional video button on the bottom of the page. One of the introductory instructional videos mentions an AR 15 parts check list. It maybe on the site, somewhere. I can’t find it, maybe you can.

Last edited: Nov 12, 2011
  10. ShirtRIPPA

ShirtRIPPA New Member

Hey DrClaw, I am also in the process of "pre-building" my first AR, just waiting for tax time. Anyway, I was also having a hard time finding an upper myself but I came across Del-Ton uppers, you should check them out too.

11. drclaw5

drclaw5 New Member

Thanks ShirtRippa. I have been following your thread too. I think i have narrowed it down to a midlength upper but am just trying to find the right one. The surplus arms and ammo one that i think we were both looking at would be nice but its carbine length. I talked to those guys over there (very hard to get ahold of) and they can add the chrome lining in the barrel for like 40 extra dollars. Still trying to see if they have a midlength for roughly the same price. I will check out the Del-Ton uppers too.

I did order my spikes lower yesterday though. Should have it friday. Made out my Christmas list too for everything else except the upper!

12. ShirtRIPPA

ShirtRIPPA New Member

No problem drclaw. I was really leading towards the surplus upper myself until I found the del-ton upper. The base price starts at $395 or something like that, and you can customize it right down to what kind of handguards you want, charging handle, gas block, sights, quite a bit of stuff, so I decided to spend a little extra to get EXACTLY what I want. I also decided to go with a lightweight upper vs an HBAR so as I add the mods I want it won't greatly weigh down the firearm. I will let you know if I find anything else my friend, anything to help someone embarking on the same journey I am! And congrats on purchasing the lower, my wife told me last night she wants to get a $700 camera for her photography business, so we came to a compromise, she gets a camera, I build my AR! Success! I have the green light, just gotta wait for taxes now, sigh...

Last edited: Nov 17, 2011
  13. gigem2005

gigem2005 New Member

You might want to look at Bravocompanyusa.com as well. They have some reasonably priced uppers and everything they do is to mil spec and under goes some serious testing

14. drclaw5

drclaw5 New Member

Alright got my Upper ordered. Its a Rock river upper with quadrail. Carbine gas but midlength rail. Let see what i get for christmas and i will post some pics.

15. AgentTikki

AgentTikki New Member

Alright fellas here is my list. I need some input as this is my first build. What am I missing? What should I stay away from? this is somewhat of a budget build but I don't want to sacrifice quality and be unhappy with what I build.

lower:
    Spikes stripped lower rec
    spikes lower parts kit

Magpul MIAD mission adaptable grip dark earth
    Magpul PMAG Magazine dark earth

Check with DSG arms, they have this stock and the ctr in packages with complete buffer tube assemblies (tube, buffer, spring, endplate, castle nut. I'd also recommend milspec. The price of the Magpul CTR package might be the same as what you are looking at now, and also look and see if they have the Magpul stocks that JUST came out.

Tools:
    Roll pin starter punch set

Complete upper: (really need input on this side of things)
    found this one *Surplus Ammo & Arms Complete AR-15 M4 16" Upper Receiver 5.56 1:9 - Surplus Ammo
    but not sure if this is a decent upper or not.

Thanks in advance! This site is incredibly helpful and informative.

16. AgentTikki

AgentTikki New Member

17. drclaw5

drclaw5 New Member

image-540813792.jpg

Ok guys. Got it all together. I followed the sticky on putting the lower together. After I got it all together and my upper attached I hear something moving inside and I don't know what it is. It's like something is sliding around. Don't think that's normal???

18. FCross7

FCross7 New Member

Take the two halves and shake them separately. That way you can at least narrow it down to either the upper or the lower. Take the BCG and charging handle out of the upper too.

Let us know what you find out.

-Fred

19. trip286

trip286 New Member

And if your lucky the loose part may just fall out, really narrowing down the possibilities.

20. Quentin

Quentin New Member

If you're talking about the weights in the buffer sliding around, that's normal.