NEW AR .22s-S&W vs Colt?

Discussion in '.22 Rifle/Rimfire Discussion' started by themanbeau, Sep 19, 2009.

1. themanbeau

themanbeau New Member

Hi, Gun Bunnies-

I was in a Sportsman's Warehouse (man, what a dreamy place!;)) the other day, and saw the Colt .22 AR clone, marked at $599. As I lovingly caressed it, I began to (already) have some adulterous:eek: thoughts, in the form of the S&W version, in the same caliber. Perusing the Smith website (later) I was reminded that their's is (at least) $100 bucks cheaper, the only negatives being the loss of the Colt name (admittedly worth a lot) and a 5-round (30/25) reduction in mag capacity. But, the boys from Mass also give me the advantage of a poly upper/lower (ala Bushmaster's Carbon-15), reducing weight, and removing any worries about (future) potential corrosion.

Can anyone give me any different perspective(s) on this dilemma, or should I just grab the Smith, and (after paying for it, of course:p) run?

Great test report on it:

Smith & Wesson M&P 15-22, AR-15 Style .22 Long Rifle Semi-Automatic Carbine

2. hunter Joe

hunter Joe New Member

Both are fine firearms. The Colt is actually made by Walthers in Germany and besides the dust cover not being functional, for show only, the Colt is as good a choice as there is.

The Smith is also a fine dedicated .22 cal. firearm. Although it's less expensive than the Colt it is becoming a popular choice. The first three we received in stock I sold the first weekend.

You can't beat the .22 and the AR format only makes them more enjoyable to own IMO. Shoot Straight, Stay Safe.

3. themanbeau

themanbeau New Member

Thanks, Joe-

I assume you own a gun shop, then? :confused: Appreciate the input/advice. :)
    How much are you getting for the Smiths? Haven't actually seen one of those,
    yet-to get a (firm) price. If you were buying one for personal use, which
    would you choose?

.22s go 'pop'!-cheaply (still).

Still Wondering-

Last edited: Sep 20, 2009
  4. hunter Joe

hunter Joe New Member

I actually work part-time at a firearm store/indoor shooting range. The Smiths are selling for 480.00 ish. I have not shot either firearm, although, I don't think one is better than the other. I have gotten good reviews from customers on both firearms. It just a matter of personal choice.

Let me throw another firearm into the mix. Have you seen the GSG 5 yet? This is another very nice auto-loading 22.

5. themanbeau

themanbeau New Member

Yes, the Walther, right? What do they go for? And what about that new
    10-22/AR? How much for it?

Thanks, again- :)

6. chucksolo69

chucksolo69 New Member

I have the Colt and am extremely happy with it. The dust cover is definately NOT just for show. Mine works great and snaps open when I pull the charging handle. My gun is VERY accurate and is one-hole accurate at 25 yards with CCI and Federal ammo. It took me about 500 rounds to properly brake her in. I shot CCI Mini Mags exclusively until then and then started shooting American Eagle stuff. Now mine shoots all brands with no issues EXCEPT Remingtons for some reason. Anyway, I am extremely pleased with the gun and even though the S&W has a great set of features, the Colt is pretty much a mirror of a standard M4....that, the all metal construction (the receiver us aluminum) and the prancing pony logo was why I bought it.

7. stalkingbear

stalkingbear Active Member

The Ruger SR22 is a "gussied up" version of the 10/22 so it should be very reliable. The manufacturer website says 625 suggested retail. The link to it is in my thread "new ruger AR".

8. rachilders

rachilders New Member

I got a S&W 15-22 about a month ago. It cost me $450 (included tax) and I have been VERY happy with it. The rails are standard picatinny and since I had a lot of spare parts from an AR I sold a few years back, I put a few on the S&W. I added a carry handle, rail covers, vertical grip and a sling and that's all I really plan to do. I've shot around 300 rds through it and it is FUN to shoot! I haven't tried any real "target" shooting with it but I can easily hit soda cans at 75 yds all day long with the gun using the iron sights. The photo below is a shot of my gun.

Attached Files:

9. themanbeau

themanbeau New Member

Cool :cool:gun/pic, RA-

Believe it or not, I know where Longview is, too. I've even BEEN there. :eek:
    You are the first real, live owner of the S&W version I've had contact with.
    Did you make a comparison to the Colt? Or the Walther? I don't think the Ruger
    was out then, right?

Do you plan on doing an Appleseed with it? I know that Fred says that .22s
    are fine for it. It looks really light, and compact. I think I'm leaning that way,
    especially if I can duplicate your price.

Thanks for the good post-:)

10. rachilders

rachilders New Member

There were two Colts and the Ruger at the store along with the S&W. I liked the Colt "Tactical" version of the AR-22 and considered buying it. It was almost exactly the same as the S&W but metal. OTOH, it was a good bit heavier then the M&P and cost about $150 more. The weight might be okay with a larger caliber gun but these guns shoot the .22LR. There is literally no recoil to deal with so I prefer the lighter gun. Also, all the controls are functional on the S&W, unlike the Colt. To me, the S&W seemed to be the best buy for the dollar of the three makes so I went with it.

I actually got the gun so my kids and I could both use it. It's light and has the adjustable stock so they can shoot it now but still lengthen the stock as they get bigger.

11. themanbeau

themanbeau New Member

Hey, RA-

Appreciate the new 'dope' on your purchase. This is doing much to help me
    decide. What about Appleseed, though?

The Appleseed Project

Still wondering (about that)-

12. rachilders

rachilders New Member

I see no reason why a S&W 15-22 wouldn't work at an Appleseed training program. At the Appleseed website they actually suggest using a .22 rifle due to ammo costs and if a 10/22 - one of the guns they mentioned - will work I see no reason why the S&W wouldn't. I can tell you from my own experience that this gun is easily capable of putting 5 shots into a quarter size hole at 25 meters (less than 80 ft). With a 4X scope and a rest/bipod, I'd guess you could place 5 shots into an area the size of a dime at 50 yds with a little practice and good ammo. OTOH, they suggest bringing at least 5 magazines and at this time the gun is VERY new and extra mags are still in tight supply.

13. Windwalker

Windwalker New Member

Price of the S&W makes it seem like the better buy but everyone has their own opinion on new guns.

14. rachilders

rachilders New Member

Price is only part of why I preferred the S&W over the other guns I looked at. If I wanted a reliable, accurate but less inexpensive .22 rifle I would have bought a basic 10/22!

While there are many people who like their guns made of only metal and wood (I do myself in most cases), I think a polymer frame/stock is a good choice for an all purpose gun, especially a .22. It's lighter (weight is good for recoil control but a .22 has no recoil), won't rust, is much less likely to break or warp, is usually cheaper to make and can be molded into almost any shape. Some folks have suggested I should have got the basic 10/22 and "tricked" it out and I considered it. However, between the cost of a new gun, an aftermarket stock and other parts that met my requirements, it would have cost as much as the S&W by the time I'd purchased everything separately, quite possibly more.

As Windwalker said, everyone has their own opinion. For me the 15-22 best filled the requirements I was looking for in a .22 rifle at a price I was willing to pay. For someone else it could be a Colt, Ruger "AR", SIG or any number of rifles that are becoming available to shooters who want something other than the bolt action, single shot or more "traditional" styled semi-auto's that have been around for decades.

Last edited: Sep 24, 2009