New AR-15

Discussion in 'AR-15 Discussion' started by ShagNasty1001, Nov 27, 2011.

1. ShagNasty1001

ShagNasty1001 New Member

Only half way done. Any ideas?

Attached Files:

2. Marlinman

Marlinman New Member

What are you planning on using it for?

3. ShagNasty1001

ShagNasty1001 New Member

Varmint hunting and target shooting between 200-400 yards

4. Marlinman

Marlinman New Member

Then i cant think of anything else u would need for that except maybe some camo wrap;)

5. mjkeat

mjkeat New Member

Is that a flashlight?

6. Marlinman

Marlinman New Member

No i do believe its a laser.....im not sure though so maybe it is:)

7. ShagNasty1001

ShagNasty1001 New Member

8. Marlinman

Marlinman New Member

Ok then you need a laser if legal in your state

9. mjkeat

mjkeat New Member

Does the light help you identify targets at the ranges you'd be using that scope?

10. ShagNasty1001

ShagNasty1001 New Member

I've been looking for a green laser to get and no it doesn't work at the ranges I'll usually shoot at, I had it on there when I had my AR set up for HD with a holographic sight but now I have an 18" shotgun to use for that. I just haven't taken it off and put it on my shotty yet

11. mjkeat

mjkeat New Member

I'm just messing w/ you.

I'd skip on the green laser unless you see something it can add to a set-up like that. No need wasting your money on accessories.

12. ShagNasty1001

ShagNasty1001 New Member

Haha okay. Anything else y'all recommend or am I pretty well set?

13. Sniper03

Sniper03 Supporting Member Supporter

Shag,

Now that is a nice AR. And you are to be congratulated for having the scope in the correct position in regard to the receiver and Charging Handle. The only way you can do that is with a free float quad rail as you have or one of the AR Mounts that move the scope farther forward. This allows you to also shoot it comfortably in the prone position. Or with out having to what I call Goose Necking to shoot the rifle. Nice job! Always fun to add goodies to the rifle which I am sure you will be. Can't think of the name off hand but one company makes a varmint flashlight that mounts to the tube of the scope that has a real powerful Green Light with some decent range! If I can find it I will re post the information~
    Have fun!

14. Sniper03

Sniper03 Supporting Member Supporter

Elusive Wildlife Technologies is the one I was thinking of. But Primos also makes a good assortment of scope mounted and rail mounted varmint hunting lights.

15. ShagNasty1001

ShagNasty1001 New Member

Sweet, I'll look into them. Much appreciated

16. ShagNasty1001

ShagNasty1001 New Member

Here are some more photos of it

Attached Files:

17. mjkeat

mjkeat New Member

Good looking

18. TylerDurden

TylerDurden New Member

You'll probably want higher rings. That scope is sitting pretty low and I'm guessing that your cheek weld is less than comfy. Might look into LaRue mounts. They are throw lever quick attach/detach and return to zero. That would also allow you to switch between the scope and the holographic sight. I can't tell what type of bipod that is, but if it's a cheapo you'll want to get a Harris whenever it's convenient. If you don't have a match trigger, you should consider installing one. I like the RRA two stage but there are a lot of good ones available.

On a side note, the carbine is a far better tool for home defense than the shotgun. It carries far more ammunition and recoils much less allowing for quicker follow up shots. It is capable of defeating soft armor. It presents less of a hazard to family members and neighbors if a shot is missed. It is far more precise. It is less prone to failure under stress. The one advantage the 12 gauge has is the tissue damage from each individual shot is much greater than any other man portable weapon. Its disadvantages far out weigh the one advantage, though.

Of course hardware is far less important than software. If YOU are more proficient and comfortable with the scattergun, then it will be a better tool for YOU. As with anything else, professional training is required to be truly effective.

19. ShagNasty1001

ShagNasty1001 New Member

I was looking at getting a timney* (check spelling) trigger for it once Christmas is over. The scope though rest fine with my eye line

20. Marlinman

Marlinman New Member

Proper spelling and if thats the case buy the titanium one if you can afford one. If not get a 2 or 3 stage.