New and improved SP101

Discussion in 'Revolver Handguns' started by Dr. Marneaus, Apr 17, 2010.

1. Dr. Marneaus

Dr. Marneaus New Member

New and improved SP101 added mini range report

Did some hand polishing to the SP101, and added new grips...

Hot damn, she does look fine, if I do say so myself....

Before: Original machined finish and CTC Laser grips...she was cute back then...but change is good.

[​IMG]

And the new look...polished (99% done, just gotta touch up the cylinder) and Black laminate Badger Boot Grips.
    [​IMG]

note the reflection of the cylinder in the frame/grip....like a mirror!
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Now, let me say... these badger grips are incredible. The quality of workmanship is fantastic! If you've ever been on the line about getting them, do so. They feel so incredibly natural in the hand! Even though I lost my pinky grip, they feel ultra solid, and they conceal incredibly!!

Last edited: Apr 19, 2010
  2. Gojubrian

Gojubrian New Member

I love those grips! Very nice Ruger you have there. :cool:

3. CA357

CA357 New Member Supporter

Now it's too pretty to shoot. ;)

4. gorknoids

gorknoids New Member

Bite your tongue!
    S'phorkin SHWEET!

5. Franciscomv

Franciscomv New Member

That's a big improvement! It looks really nice, I like both the grips and the mirror polish.

6. canebrake

canebrake New Member

Dr., that's one handsome handgun!

What a change. Great job.

7. freefall

freefall New Member

Want to sell the laser grips?

8. General_lee

General_lee New Member

9. diggsbakes

diggsbakes New Member

Excellent looking Ruger you got there. It feels good to be able to appreciate your own work. Great Job!

10. Dr. Marneaus

Dr. Marneaus New Member

I think they were listed for sale here a week ago, haha. Sold them over on rugerforum.net, you missed it by a few days!

Thanks everyone else for the comments. She's gorgeous now, if I do say so myself, haha.

I'm a huge DIY guy, and this shows that a little elbow grease can make a big difference. I'm proud of all my guns, but this one now takes the cake. Hours upon hours of just sitting there polishing it!

Too bad it's always carried concealed an no one sees it! haha.

Gonna take it out on tuesday or tomorrow and give it a test run with some different loads with the new grips.

11. spittinfire

spittinfire New Member Supporter

That thing looks great! hows the recoil with that grip on it?

12. Dr. Marneaus

Dr. Marneaus New Member

Dunno yet!!

Gonna find out tomorrow, haha.

13. spittinfire

Put some hot magnums in and let me know. :D

14. GeauxTigersGuy

GeauxTigersGuy New Member

I'm not crazy about the grips personally, but that's just me and it's not my gun. Either way, your TLC came out great and I hope you enjoy!

15. Agent_H

Agent_H New Member

That is real classy looking. I think the badgers are a nice compliment.

16. Charger Fan

Charger Fan New Member

Boy, that's a thing of beauty. Nice work!

17. Gojubrian

Gojubrian New Member

So what did you use to polish it? :)

18. Dr. Marneaus

Dr. Marneaus New Member

I polished it with Mothers Aluminum and Mag Polish, go get some at autzone, haha.

So, I had heard amazing things about the grips, not just how they look, but how they feel, and I must say its entirely true.

I went out this morning with some .38 spl range ammo, .38 +P HP's and some .357 Semi Jacketed flat nose.

The .38's were a breeze, as they always are. However, I was INSTALTLY more accurate. I was popping bottles at 25 feet without hesitation, something which was a slightly difficult task before.

My groups on paper tightened up also, even when shooting at about 1 second intervals. I'm not saying I couldnt hit anything before, I would do fine on paper, when practicing defense shooting but bottles were a little more difficult because 1 inch off and you dunno if you hit anythhing.

This is obviously not a target gun, haha, which is why I practice somewhat rapid fire from close distances.

Anyway, It could have jsut been a good day, but i'm going to say the better grip and alignment of my hand made all the difference.

The .38 +P's were a breeze too, and even the .357 was comfortable to shoot! Larger grip area I suppose, and a better fit. I lost my pinky grip from the pervious CTC's I had on there, but i was more accurate and had better control even when shooting magnum loads, and they werent even painful!!!!

19. Gojubrian

Gojubrian New Member

Great to hear! Grip angle sure can make the difference. Ask the 1911 guys. :cool:

20. spittinfire

Great news!! Now, should I want to round up some similar grips where should I look?