Featured New ammunition prices

Discussion in 'Ammunition & Reloading' started by Diesel3, May 15, 2020.

1. Diesel3

Diesel3 Member

I've been watching the ammunition wholesalers slowly restock and I'm really disappointed. Most have raised their prices 15-25%. Luckily I have plenty and not looking to buy, but for new shooters and those that are just now trying to stock up its completely unfair and is flirting with price gouging.
    And before someone tries to get an attitude, I understand supply and demand, I've run 2 businesses before.
    I cant see how a virus pandemic would change supply costs at the manufacturer or delivery costs to the supplier. Warehousing costs havent changed nor has employee overhead.
    We are getting taken advantage of and its all BS.
    I sent TargetSportsUSA an email, awaiting a response.

2. sheriffjohn

sheriffjohn Well-Known Member Supporter

During the "other" ammo shortage I asked my son who works in the industry why there were few normal priced .22 ammo available but plenty of premium priced product. Summed up: Using the same manufacturing setup (production line, etc.) if you can make ammo that sells for a higher price and sell it, you will make more money. Promo priced ammo always outsells quality by volume.

Shopfox likes this.

3. PaBushMan

PaBushMan Well-Known Member

Im well stocked on rim fire ammo. I buy a brick everytime i go to walmart. It paid off. The rest of my ammo i load my own.

Rifling82 and Shopfox like this.
  4. Txhillbilly

Txhillbilly Well-Known Member

Anytime there is a panic buy on guns & ammo the price will rise - Supply vs Demand.
    Hoarders and New gun buyers caused this problem. Just wait until November and see what issues the election will cause. If Trump is re-elected,then it will get back to normal pretty quick,if he isn't,you better buy all you can between now and then because you won't find any ammo on the shelves.

Just one more reason to reload,but right now even buying reloading supplies can be an issue. Something else that I don't have to worry about,I've been stocked up with supplies for many years.

oO_Rogue_Oo and Shopfox like this.
  5. Diesel3

Diesel3 Member

I get the supply and demand, like I said I owned a business for quite a few years.
    It just sucks that the new restocked inventory is more expensive when the supply is beginning to normalize. I try to stay loyal to businesses but this may be a situation where I shop around a bit.

Shopfox likes this.
  6. Shopfox

Shopfox Well-Known Member Supporter

@Diesel3 The prices will come back down some. Our local auto parts supplier just laid off. There'll be more layoffs coming in other industries. That and higher food prices will squash recreational ammo demand.

That said, if you need to buy anything, wait and get it in September before election fear fires up the market again. September is about as long as you can let the current ammo market cool.

Oldoutlaw and PaBushMan like this.
  7. PaBushMan

Im going to stock up on primers before the election. Going to try to have 15k of large and small pistol on hand. And a 5k large and small rifle. I bought 8 lb jugs of sport pistol and green dot recently. Plan on adding 2 more jugs of each. Hopefuly a 8lb unique.

8. Sniper03

Sniper03 Supporting Member Supporter

I am friends with one of the corporate executives of one major manufacturer. They also manufacture 223 and 5.56 Ammunition. They factory is running 24/7 in order to keep up with demand. For example 5 of every 10 rounds goes to military contracts not only ours but allies as well. 3 Rounds of the 10 goes to Law Enforcement and 2 of the 10 rounds produced goes to the civilian market. So when a scare comes on most stores are sometimes limited to even being able to get inventory. So as Diesel mentioned it then becomes supply and demand issue. With no product the business still has to pay employees and keep the lights on. But no, I do not believe in price gouging, but I can understand some slight increases. Once again for example when some were hording up all the 22 ammunition. Only so much could be produced and we could not hardly find any. Some were hording it when it would be delivered to a store and even put it on the Internet at ridiculous prices as we know.
    I know of a case where Walmart employees were involved and they would call a friend/s the minute 22 ammunition would come in to their dock! And the friend/s would come and buy all of it.
    I know one time I walked into a Bass Pro and they would only sell each person one brick of 22s and no more! So I bought one and went and told my Wife who was with me and she went back an bought another. Then later when people stopped the hording the price went back down some and some restrictions with in reason were loosened . So the people can cause this by panicking, being scared, selfish and hording from others. At the time I ordered a few hundred rounds of 22 and 6 months later I got them shipped to me. I was not going to pay those inflated ridiculous prices everyone wanted. When your a Grand Pa and have Grand Kids, 22 ammunition is a must!:):p
    As the example of the company running 24/7. They can only produce what they can produce.

Last edited: May 16, 2020
    Shopfox, sheriffjohn and PaBushMan like this.
  9. sheriffjohn

sheriffjohn Well-Known Member Supporter

Tempting as lower prices are on imported ammo (I buy some occasionally), I prefer to support U.S. manufacturing when possible. Better to keep our families fed than those in other countries. Jobs are scarce and people are hurting.

primer1 and Sniper03 like this.
  10. oO_Rogue_Oo

oO_Rogue_Oo Well-Known Member

I keep seeing the phrase "I understand supply and demand". The very nature of "price gouging" IS supply and demand. If no one was buying at these prices (demand), the prices would drop until the demand returned and leveled. The fact that at these prices the shelves are still virtually empty means the demand still exceeds the supply. Solution; raise the price until the demand drops off enough for the stock levels to return to normal then lower the price until the demand equals the rate of supply. Pretty much normal stuff; the balancing act is when demand drops off too much causing the cost of manufacture to increase.

For instance: their is a little girl up the street that opened a lemonade stand selling lemonade for $2 a glass. She didn't sell any. Next day I saw she had lowered her price to $1 a glass but still she didn't sell any. She lowered her price again to .50 cents; no sale. And then 25 cents; STILL not selling any. Today I noticed she RAISED her price to $1,000,000 a glass. This caught me by surprise so I asked her; your lemonade didn't sell at $2 a glass, or $1, or 50 cents or even 25 cents; why now $1,000,000 a glass. She had the simplest of answers; "because now I only have to sell one".

RKB, bluez and Sniper03 like this.
  11. W.T. Sherman

W.T. Sherman Well-Known Member

yeeeeeeeeeeeeaah, that "solution" looks good on a computer screen, but there is just one teeny tiny thing wrong with that "solution" in the real word; and that is you didn't take into account the paranoid, panicky stupid people who are scrambling to buy ammo at any price, and they're LOTS OF THOSE! OUT THERE.

I've seen that with my own eyes at a gun show, on numerous panic buys where people will pull out without any hesitation 700-1,000 bucks to buy 1K of 5.56 ammo, and the dealers were sold out of all they had in less then a hour after the doors opened.

the net is no better, panicky stupid people also have computers and a internet connection

the time to buy ammo cheap and stock it deep, or replace or replenish what you need is when there is gluten of it and different ammo sites are scrambling to get people to buy from them by offering cheaper prices then their competitors...…...what is called a "buyers market"

Last edited: May 17, 2020
    Diesel3 likes this.
  12. oO_Rogue_Oo

I don't see the problem; the price will still be based on supply and demand like it is supposed to be. I've been watching prices climb for the last several years already; it is what it is.

13. TheDreadnought

TheDreadnought Well-Known Member

Prices will crater again once CoVid fades and Trump gets re-elected. When that happens, take that opportunity to stack it deep and you won’t be worried about future price fluctuations. ;)

towboater and Diesel3 like this.
  14. oO_Rogue_Oo

If your buying in small quantities who cares what the price is? The difference won't kill you. If you're consumption is more substantial you should probably be reloading and have a reasonable stock on hand. Honestly a couple of hundred rounds a month consumption is what; and extra $20 or $30 bucks a month? Really not sure what all the fuss is about.

15. PaBushMan

Prices don't seem to be bothering people in my area. I think i found more brass in the last 2 months than i have for the past year. .223/556 and 9mm especially.

towboater likes this.