New , All American Made AK, Forged Receiver

Discussion in 'AK & SKS Discussion' started by rifleman55, Dec 14, 2010.

1. rifleman55

rifleman55 New Member

Centery Arms is now making a new AK-47, all parts made in the USA including a forged steel receiver.
    I don't know the price yet, betting somewhere around $800 or so, but I'm going to start putting my pennies away.

It has a longer synthetic stock made for us gringos.
    Looks like a really nice weapon.

I've wanted an AK for a while, now I have an excuse to get one.
    I want to take advantage of the cheap ammo.

In the 5.56, I have a couple of really good Mini 14'[s (With a lot of work), but will not buy a Mini 30 due to the fact that they break FP's like crazy on the Mil Surp ammo, so I won't buy one or any other Ruger product, but that's another story.

I'm just glad to see a new American made AK for sale with the forged receiver.
    Very good looking weapon.
    The Dillon, Blue Press monthly sales book has a write up on them.

John K

2. dunerunner

dunerunner New Member

That is great news, I've wanted to ad an AK to the vault but couldn't ever find one with a forged receiver, everything was stamped.

Thanks John...Gotta Link? Here ya go About » Century International Arms

3. Mandy

Mandy New Member

It says it's machined from a solid block thus it's a milled receiver.......

Good find thou.

I wonder how much for one of those and if the CAI bad rap will stick to those too

4. diggsbakes

diggsbakes New Member

SAME THING. The milled receiver=, is milled from a steel forging. :)

5. Mandy

Mandy New Member

Not necessarily, can be a cast block or ingot;)

6. diggsbakes

diggsbakes New Member

The process of "casting" steel is quite different than that of a "forging". If this was the case I doubt CAI would be advertising their new rifles as "forged". ;) And I KNOW CAI is not going to mill a receiver from a block or "billet" as we call it in the firearms world.

7. Mandy

Mandy New Member

The only problem I have is that I don't see where it says forged, forged is a hammering process, and casting as you pointed is a block or Billet as everywhere is called.
    Maybe I'm reading in the wrong page at the site, but in the following page I can't find the word forged, just that it's machined from a 11 pound block of 4140 ordnance quality steel, thus my assumption of a billet or block.
    Please link me to where it says forged

Century International Arms

100% American Made! No imported parts! Century is the only company making an all U.S. made AK!

The Centurion 39 is assembled using all new U.S. manufactured parts. It is different from other rifles on the market in that the receiver is machined from an 11 pound block of 4140 ordnance quality steel. The barrel is equipped with a proprietary V shaped Chevron Compensator, designed exclusively by Century. This unparalleled compensator design directs gases upward, which reduces recoil and makes the rifle more controllable. Instead of adjusting for windage from the front sight like other similar rifles, the rear sight is adjustable for both windage and elevation. Other features include a high visibility front sight post and a buttstock that is 1 inch longer than military style stocks, for better comfort and handling. The upper and lower handguard have four Picatinny rails which can be used to accessorize the Centurion 39 with red dot sights, scopes, lights, lasers and a fore grip. Barrel: 16.5” with a 1:10 twist, Overall: 37.25”, Weight: 8.2 lbs. Comes with two U.S. made 30 rd. mags. Condition: New. Not available for sale in NJ, MA, CA, CT, HI or where prohibited by law.

8. diggsbakes

diggsbakes New Member

It's is a mystery for now:confused:, but it own't be total junk, just kinda "junky" like the rest of their products.

Would we expect any different?

9. billdeserthills

billdeserthills New Member

Unfortunately, the original chrome-lined barrels are now illegal to import. I haven't heard anything good about the made in US barrels that have replaced the originals...

10. diggsbakes

diggsbakes New Member

Really??? That was one of the most common features that sellers have used for decades in order to advertise the high points of the AK-47.

Do you have any links that would give us a bit more insight into this???

11. Quentin

Quentin New Member

Ahhh, I'll keep my crappy ol' WASR thank you! It's paid fer - and works. :p

12. Squirrel_Slayer

Squirrel_Slayer New Member

Saw me a nice little Dragunov copy at a gun show this weekend for 600.00 bucks, not too bad, but from what I have gathered from people that shoot them is that they are only good for 2 to 2.5 inch groups at 100 yards. They could have been completely wrong, I don't know. Cool looking rifles though.

13. GunNut

GunNut New Member

Back to the importation of Barrels, chrome lined or otherwise; ATF banned it in 2005. Here is the text of a letter they sent out. You can find this stuff on the ATF website = ATF Online or ATF.gov

U.S. Department of Justice
    Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco,
    Firearms and Explosives
    Assistant Director

Washington, DC 20226

July 13, 2005

Open Letter to Federally Licensed Firearms Importers and Registered Importers of U.S. Munitions Import List Articles

The purpose of this open letter is to provide important information to importers concerning the lawful importation of certain frames, receivers and barrels.

Importation of Frames, Receivers or Barrels of Firearms Under Title 18 U.S.C. § 925(d)(3) Section 925(d) provides standards for the importation of firearms and ammunition into the United States. In particular, section 925(d)(3) provides that the Attorney General shall authorize a firearm to be imported if it meets several conditions: (1) it is not defined as a firearm under the National Firearms Act (NFA); (2) it is generally recognized as particularly suitable for or readily adaptable to sporting purposes; and (3) it is not a surplus military firearm. However, the subsection further provides that “in any case where the Attorney General has not authorized the importation of the firearm pursuant to this paragraph, it shall be unlawful to import any frame, receiver, or barrel of such firearm which would be prohibited if assembled.”

The Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives (ATF) has determined that the language of 18 U.S.C. § 925(d)(3) permits no exceptions that would allow frames, receivers or barrels for otherwise non-importable firearms to be imported into the United States. Accordingly, ATF will no longer approve ATF Form 6 applications for importation of any frames, receivers, or barrels for firearms that would be prohibited from importation if assembled. No exceptions to the statutory language, for example for “repair or replacement” of existing firearms, will be allowed.

ATF recognizes that importers have, in the past, obtained import permits authorizing the importation of barrels and receivers for non-importable firearms for "repair or replacement" and may have entered into contracts in reliance upon such authorizations. In order to mitigate the impact of ATF’s change in import policy and to allow importers a reasonable period to come into compliance, ATF will forgo enforcement of this import restriction for 60 calendar days and allow importers holding existing permits to continue to import barrels and receivers for a period of 60 calendar days. ATF believes this time period is adequate for importers who have entered into binding contracts for the sale and shipment of such barrels and receivers to complete the process of importing the items into the United States. ATF will advise Customs and Border Protection that in no event should these permits be accepted to release these items for entry into the United States after September 10, 2005.

Importers are reminded that ATF previously approved permits for non-importable barrels and receivers for repair or replacement only, and this restriction was stamped on the face of the permit. Importers who import such components for any purpose other than repair or replacement of existing firearms, e.g., for assembly into new firearms, will be exceeding the scope of the import authorization in violation of law. If ATF determines, through inspection or otherwise, that an importer willfully violates the import provisions of the GCA, the importer’s license is subject to revocation pursuant to 18 U.S.C. § 923(e).

Importers holding approved import permits for non-importable barrels and receivers will receive a letter prior to September 10, 2005, advising them that their permit has been suspended.

This determination affects importers as follows:

IF YOU SUBMIT A NEW APPLICATION TO IMPORT FRAMES, RECEIVERS AND BARRELS ON OR AFTER THE DATE OF THIS LETTER, AND THE PERMIT IS FOR NONSPORTING FIREARMS, SURPLUS MILITARY FIREARMS, OR NATIONAL FIREARMS ACT FIREARMS, ATF WILL DENY YOUR APPLICATION.
    IF YOU HAVE SUBMITTED AN APPLICATION TO IMPORT FRAMES, RECEIVERS AND BARRELS THAT HAS NOT YET BEEN DENIED OR APPROVED BY ATF AND THE PERMIT IS FOR NONSPORTING FIREARMS, SURPLUS MILITARY FIREARMS OR NATIONAL FIREARMS ACT FIREARMS, ATF WILL DENY YOUR APPLICATION.
    IF YOU ALREADY HOLD AN APPROVED PERMIT TO IMPORT FRAMES, RECEIVERS AND BARRELS “FOR REPAIR OR REPLACEMENT,” ATF WILL BE SENDING YOU A LETTER EXPLAINING THAT YOUR PERMIT WILL BE SUSPENDED AFTER SEPTEMBER 10, 2005, AND PROVIDING YOU WITH INFORMATION REGARDING YOUR RIGHT TO SUBMIT ARGUMENTS WHY YOUR PERMIT SHOULD NOT BE REVOKED.

Maintaining open lines of communication is vital to the successful future of ATF’s partnership with the import community. The Firearms and Explosives Imports Branch staff is available to answer your questions about the issues addressed in this letter. You may reach us by phone at 202-927-8320 or by fax at 202-927-2697. Additional information regarding this issue will be provided on our Website at ATF Online - Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives.

Lewis P. Raden
    Assistant Director
    Enforcement Programs and Services

14. DrumJunkie

DrumJunkie New Member

I personally don't see a real need for chrome lined barrels in an semi auto anyway. If you have to have one they are easy to get. Hell..Even those "crappy WASR's" have them. My M70 does not and it does just fine. I guess if you're using corrosive ammo and are out on the jungle though...It'll come in handy. :rolleyes:

@Quentin..Those "Crappy WASR's" seem to do what they are supposed to. I'd buy another in a minute.;)

15. diggsbakes

diggsbakes New Member

Amen, my crappy WASR, with around $100 in replacement internals, shoots better than any gun in my safe, except in the accuracy dept.

16. WVwheelgunner

WVwheelgunner New Member

I had a CAI Golani Sporter with a very heavy milled receiver. In fact, the milled receiver was what the dealer used as the main selling point on this particular rifle.
    This was the biggest POS rifle I've ever had the misfortune of owning. It was inaccurate, jammed every seventh or eighth round, was way too heavy for a .223, etc.
    I traded it for a Ruger Mini-14 which is far, far superior to the Century rifle.
    It will be a long time before I ever trust CAI again. And a milled receiver means nothing to me, except extra weight.
    I've never heard a first hand account of Mini-14 breaking firing pins.

17. IXLR8

IXLR8 New Member

When in doubt about about a firearm, Wikipedia is a good resource.

The Dragunov shoot 1 MOA, copies shoot 2 to 3 MOA. Chances of getting a real one are close to nil.

18. Cemo

Cemo New Member

The American Rifleman just did a feature on the Century Centurion AK and they quoted the price at $1,000.

19. colmustard

colmustard New Member

Love my WASR! It shoots everytime and I can easily hit a dinner plate at a 100 yards. But it would be neat to have an American made AK. :rolleyes: