new ak47

Discussion in 'AK & SKS Discussion' started by JonM, Nov 8, 2012.

1. JonM

JonM Moderator

slickguns put up a deal on 7.62x39 yesterday so i made an order and this afternoon popped over to midwest industries and picked up a nice romanian wasr-10. ive been skipping adding an ak to the safe after my mak90 experience but the disaster on tuesday decided it for me.

[​IMG]

the wood isnt that great but ive got a solution for that and it involves a LOT of sandpaper and cherry blossom stain!!

2. AsSeenOnTV

AsSeenOnTV New Member

Very nice Jon. Does the Wasrs come with the cleaning kit in the stock like the older AKs do?

3. JonM

JonM Moderator

its got a hole in the stock for one but none of it came with the gun. two mags and a bayonet and a stupid gun lock. no rods or kit. ill pick one up at a gunshow just to have it though.

4. AsSeenOnTV

AsSeenOnTV New Member

The cleaning kit isnt much but the case has little cuts in it here and there to use as a take down tool to flip the fore end grip switch up and remove for cleaning etc. Sometimes these Eastern block countries rivet them down so tight that the tool comes in handy :)

5. Patriot98

Patriot98 New Member

Thats a nice one I got a wasr-10 UF the other day for 480$. But I just looked on gunbroker and they are going for 1100$! :eek:

6. Patriot98

Patriot98 New Member

Because of Obama.

7. JonM

JonM Moderator

yup thats why i picked one up while its still relatively cheap

8. Tackleberry1

Tackleberry1 New Member

Congrats John!

Had my Century Arms AK for about 5 years now.

Not really that much fun to shoot but it's a "must have" SHTF gun in a "must have" caliber.

Tack

Last edited: Nov 8, 2012
  9. FullautoUSA

FullautoUSA Welcoming Committee/ Resident Pellet Gunner Lifetime Supporter

post some pictures when it's done.

10. JonM

JonM Moderator

oh i will!! its going to be sexy as hell

here is a preview after i refinshed one of my mosin 91/30

[​IMG]

11. AsSeenOnTV

AsSeenOnTV New Member

:eek:

12. JonM

JonM Moderator

highest money ive turned down for that 91/30 is 300$!!

13. AsSeenOnTV

AsSeenOnTV New Member

:eek:

14. orangello

orangello New Member

Good call!

My buddy just sold his too raise some funds. He ended up replacing the wood with polymer.

15. JonM

JonM Moderator

well i decided to go a different route with the colour. a divergence off the "russian red". this is the first coat of raw stain. its one called sangria.

its going to get the second coat tomorrow and a wet sand with the stain to get the color more into the wood. it should come out looking like a rich red with touch of purple

[​IMG]

and i stupidly took the cleaning kit spring out of the stock. dont do it if you really dont have to. while i had it out i cleaned the cosmo off it and out of the stock. the base of the spring is MUCH wider than the hole it goes in and its a freekin bear to get back in!! took an hour to do it.

16. JonM

JonM Moderator

finished up the ak47 re-coloring. here it is next to its big sis.

[​IMG]

17. SSGN_Doc

SSGN_Doc Well-Known Member

That's purdy. I went more brown with a hint of red on mine. But that red is really nice.

18. JonM

JonM Moderator

thats a minwax stain called sangria then topped with tung oil. i think it came out pretty well for the crappy wood on the gun. at some point ill order a stock set made from better materials and get a proper stain and finish. laminate is pretty hard to deal with

19. SSGN_Doc

SSGN_Doc Well-Known Member

I used Minwax Red Mahogany for my base coat and then a water based cranberry red stain over that. I followed up with wipe on polyurethane.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 15, 2012
  20. JonM

JonM Moderator

that looks really good!! you got a better grain pattern too.