New additions to the family.

Discussion in 'Curio & Relic Discussion' started by kfox75, Nov 4, 2013.

1. kfox75

kfox75 Well-Known Member Supporter

New additions to the family....

Got these in a recent trade. Arisaka Type 38 Cavalry Carbine and type 99 rifle. Picked them up while on a day trip to PA to look at a rental property, and stopped in at one of the shops in the area. Smith had these in the back because they just wouldn't sell, so I offered him $500 for both. Walked out with them for $600 even.

Attached Files:

2. winds-of-change

winds-of-change The Balota's Staff Member

Very nice looking rifles. What a great find. But they look like they weigh a lot.

3. JW357

JW357 New Member

Nice find. Good looking guns.

I'd like to get more milsurp weapons...

4. kfox75

Thanks Winds. The type 38 weighs about 7 pounds, and the 99 weighs about 9 pounds. If one were to carry either one all day they would definitely feel it. One of the first mil-surps I bought is my 1916 Spanish Short rifle. It is my primary deer rifle, and at 7 pounds I do feel it if I am on a long spot and stalk. If I spend the day in the blind,or in a stand, not so much. the one big advantage to a heavier gun is that you feel less recoil. And to think, I am one of those nutcases who took the wood stock of of one of my Mosins to lighten it up. :eek::D

Guess I really am a gluton for punishment.

Thanks JW. These two are Arisakas number 3 and 4 in my family, and mil-surps number 22 and 23 on the family total. This is counting the collections of other members of my family. Current count for me is 10 on the mil-surps. two of my uncles have Type 99s, both early production, One is still original, the ither has been re-chambered to .30-06 and sporterized. The one thai is still original is part of a set that includes a Katana minus the subo, an early production Type 30 bayonet with curved quinlon and bird's head pommel. Both were given to my grandfather back in the 1950s by a couple of locsl WWII vet who served with him in the State Police.

I started collecting mil-surps in the late 90s with a barn sale find of an M! Garand and my 1916 Spanish Mauser, so it took a while for me to amass the collection I have. they are out there. just keep doing what I have done with all of my C&Rs, as you see them and have the money, pick them up.

Also, thank you. I too have a tendency to refer to them as weapons. Growing up around Marines, Guns were mounted weapons, not shoulder or hand fired. Or they were in your pants........:) Hence it will always be rifle, pistol, shotgun or weapon when I refer to them.

5. JW357

JW357 New Member

Sounds like an interesting collection. I have a (probably) similar Spanish Mauser, chambered in .308.

I'll be expanding my almost non-existent collection when I can. Good luck with yours.

6. JW357

JW357 New Member

And by the way, yes they are weapons. Sometimes firearms. Sometimes I get lazy and say "guns," but like I said that's just because of laziness.

7. Artbrownsr

Artbrownsr Well-Known Member Lifetime Supporter

In General ALL milsurps are heavy with all that wood and heavy steel work to last the duration (These are not delicate target guns), Loaded some of them come close to 10- 12 pounds.

8. kfox75

Does it look anything like this? Several of them were re-barreled and converted from 7 X 57 MM to 7.62 X 51 MM (Lower pressure than the .308 Winchester, not one and the same) in the early 1960s. Mine is still 7 X 57, and has none of the crests that were on new manufacture rifles. It started out as a full size 1893 or '95, and was cut down to make it a 1916 pattern 1.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Nov 4, 2013
  9. Trez

Trez Well-Known Member

Your type 38 is a actual Type 38 Carbine, The "Cavalry Carbines" were cut down Type 38 long rifles in cut down stocks. Yours being a real carbine is much rarer.... What series and arsenal are both the rifles? :)

Looks like the Type 99 still has the mum... NICE!!

10. kfox75

thanks Trez. The 38 is a model of 1905, Nagoya Arsenal, series 20. the 99 is Toyo Kogyo series 28. I'll amend my log for accuray on the 38 carbine.

11. nitestalker

nitestalker New Member

This is a Jap Type 44 6.5 caliber Carbine with the folding tri-edged bayonet and stacking hook. The Nambu Pistol is an 8MM "Papa" it also has a tropical holster. The 1915 DWM Luger is for size comparison of the Nambu and Luger. :)

Attached Files:

Last edited: Nov 5, 2013
  12. kfox75

You've got some nice pieces there Nightstalker. i knew that the Lugers and the Nambus looked a lot alike, but i had never seen two side by side before. Very nice.

13. JW357

JW357 New Member

Here's a couple quick pictures of mine. Not the best or most detailed, but might give you an idea.

image-4015953631.jpg

image-2619418068.jpg

14. kfox75

Nice. They could almost be twins. Yours is a 1916 Short rifle that was converted from what I can see. Looks to be in good shape. Not bad JW.

15. JW357

JW357 New Member

Thank you. I appreciate getting information on this rifle in particular, as my knowledge on it is limited.

Cosmetically, its wonderful.

It's not terribly accurate, though. Actually extremely inaccurate. I need to take it in and get it looked at.

16. kfox75

A couple links to help you get started on your research.

http://www.surplusrifle.com/1916guardiacivil/index.asp

http://masterton.us/Unmarked1916

http://carteach0.blogspot.com/2009/03/spanish-1916-civil-guardia-mauser-rifle.html

http://globerove.com/spain/1916-spanish-mauser-rifle/3567

Should be a good start. Is it a grouping problem, or is it not hitting POA? As far as the inaccuracy, are you firing mil-surp or store brand? I don't know about the 7.62 models, but my 7 mil likes Privi Partisan, and loves Federal premiums. It also shoots about an inch left, and 3 inches high at 100 yards. I can get a 2 inch group at that distance from a rest. Close enough for governent work IOW.

17. Trez

Trez Well-Known Member

Well if we're showing our Arisakas..... :p

Attached Files:

18. Trez

Trez Well-Known Member

What are the other 2 Arisakas you have kfox?

19. kfox75

don't have them myself, they are part of the entire family's collection. In the household, we all have a set of keys to each safe\cabinet, and we share and help maintain the guns and keep the ammo stores up.

They are a pair of type 99s that my grandfather had given to him in the mid 50s. One is in Nebraska with one of my uncles. It was sporterized and rechambered in .30-06. the other belongs to my uncle (and landlord) who lives in the lower apartment of my house. Had it up here for a couple weeks last month whiule doin some research for him. I don't know the specs on the one in Nebraska, I have only seen it and shot it once. the one here on the other hand is a nagoya arsenal series 11 with the aircraft sights that was given to him by a local WWII vet along with a Katana ( minus subo), and a type 30 bird's head pommel, and a curved quinlon. Both are missing their mums. I see that you have the early and mid war production bayonets. i'll keep an eye out for the straight handle and quinlon you need.

Also, the guy I got my 99 and 38 from is checking with his friend for the front half of you paratrooper. He just emailed me to tell me he talked with him this morning. The search continues.

Last edited: Nov 5, 2013
  20. JW357

JW357 New Member

I think maybe the bbl is loose or something. It doesn't even come close to point of aim. Last time I shot, I think we were shooting at 100 yards, and again I can't remember too well, but I think the points of impact were a foot or so low. Who knows, maybe the gun was just zeroed at.. 50 yards? I don't know. Not particularly worried right now. Never have time to go rifle shooting anymore anyway. When we DO go shooting, its for handguns, because we almost never have rifle ammo.

The ammo used was not milsurp stuff. It was definitely store bought, although I don't remember what it was (this was at least six months ago).