New Addition: S&W 22A-1 Semi Automatic

Discussion in 'Semi-Auto Handguns' started by SGT-MILLER, Jun 25, 2009.

1. SGT-MILLER

SGT-MILLER New Member

Purchased this today. I've been wanting a nice, .22LR for inexpensive range practice for some time.

Now I've got one. I chose the S&W over the Ruger brand because of the smoother trigger. I've shot the Ruger 22s before, so I figured I'd try something different. This is the newer model 22A, so it's been slightly tweaked from the older versions (so I'm told).

Will have a good range report soon (.22 is still cheap so I'm going to shoot the crap outta this one). :cool:

[​IMG]

2. IGETEVEN

IGETEVEN New Member

That's a nice looking plunker there SGT. The best thing about it is that it's a S&W and yes .22 ammo is still cheap! Good shoot'en there. :D

3. kodiak1973

kodiak1973 New Member

I have one of those myself! It is absolutely wonderful and accurate as heck. My stepson was shooting it this past weekend and was hollowing out bullseyes at 25 yards.

I picked it up about a month ago and I've probably put 400 rounds through it already. I was told to watch out for higher powered ammo because it supposedly wears out the brushings a little faster. Haven't confirmed that though.

4. Gojubrian

Gojubrian New Member

Very nice SGT!!

I like guns I can afford to shoot. :)

5. matt g

matt g New Member Supporter

You should have got a 1911. :D

6. SGT-MILLER

SGT-MILLER New Member

Don't have the funds for a 1911..........

I'll stick with something I can actually afford to shoot for now.

7. Gojubrian

Gojubrian New Member

1911's..............overpriced and overhyped. ;)

+1 SGT.

8. Gojubrian

Gojubrian New Member

Why did you choose the 4inch over the 5?

9. SGT-MILLER

SGT-MILLER New Member

The 4 inch was the only model available.

Besides, it's not the barrel length that counts. It's how you use it that matters. ;)

P.S. I also agree that some 1911 brands out there are over-hyped and overpriced *cough* Kimber *cough*

:D

10. Gojubrian

Gojubrian New Member

Just for plinking I guess it really doesn't matter. Did you consider the browning? Maybe they're more expensive? I got a good old buckmark a while back. It shoots great and is a very fun/cheap gun to shoot. :)

[​IMG]

I do like the looks of that S&W!

11. Franciscomv

Franciscomv New Member

Nice addition to your arsenal, sarge.

I'm interested to hear how it performs, I'm looking at a similar one to replace a Ruger MKIII I've decided to sell. In the meantime, I've got my lovely S&W 617 for fun plinking.

12. RL357Mag

RL357Mag New Member

Very nice looking gun. Waiting for a range report! They changed it quite a bit from the mid-90's when I bought my Ruger .22/45. I had my choice of the S&W, the Browning, or the Ruger. I chose the Ruger because they had one in stainless, and I didn't care for the serrations on the slide of the Browning - not defined enough to allow easy cocking. I believe the S&W slide was also different than the one you bought. The trigger does suck on the Ruger, but it is very accurate nonetheless. I hate the sights on the Ruger also - too wide for accurate shooting. I wish Colt would reintroduce the Woodsman or High Standard would make the Supermatic Citation again.

13. rockabye74

rockabye74 New Member

SW22A Review

I've had a 22A as well for a long time and it is one of my favorite guns. It shoots well, is extremely accurate, is cheap to shoot and maintain, and jams are a rare thing. This was one of my first guns as well and it replaced a generic six shooter that could not hit the broad side of a barn if your were standing inside the barn and threw the gun at the wall.

Imagine my surprise with this little beauty. The very first day I had it I was shooting 2" groupings at 25yards. It has a smooth trigger pull and very little kick back (obviously). Sights are easy to adjust and the tear down and cleaning is fairly routine for a semi-auto.

After I had owned the gun for about a year I purchased the "Target" grip. This is a large, flat base, wooden grip. It fits my hand better but seems just a tad bulky at times. If I were carrying this gun in a holster or on a regular basis for anything other than target shooting I would probably put the tactical grips back on. I have thought a million times about carrying this thing in the woods with me when I am clearing out paths, etc. It would be a great snake charmer as it is accurate and cheap to shoot.