New acquisition, AMT Lightning Pistol

Discussion in '.22 Rifle/Rimfire Discussion' started by Overkill0084, Apr 10, 2012.

1. Overkill0084

Overkill0084 Well-Known Member

I recently came into possession of an AMT Lightning pistol. There seems to be very little in the way of information out there about it. It seems to be a Ruger MK2 knockoff. (Wikipedia states that it prompted a lawsuit) Anyway, it has an excellent trigger and shoots nicely.
    It came in the original box with one magazine. I was wondering if there was anyone who had additional info about them. I would really love some PDFs of the supporting documentation.
    Also, will Ruger MK2 magazines work in these things? Or for that matter, MK3, I have one of those already, but I understand that there were changes made with the MK3 that might preclude their use.

Attached Files:

• AMT2.jpg
      AMT2.jpg
      File size:
      29.3 KB
      Views:
    schnuffleupagus likes this.
  2. big shrek

big shrek Well-Known Member

The AMT Lightning pistol was made from 1984-87, in Standard and Bullseye models...
    10-shot mags, and barrel sizes available were 5", 6.5", 8.5", & 10".
    Millet Adjustable Sights...Checkered Pachmeyr Rubber grips and stainless finish.

There was also a 16 & 1/2" barrel with shoulder stock conversion kit...some folks just liked the really long barrel...
    [​IMG]

Comparison pic...
    [​IMG]

Bullseye edition...note the Charles Bronson Wildey rail look...lol
    [​IMG]

Sad thing, they were more precise than the Ruger models they copied...probably why Ruger sue'd 'em...lol
    Hope that helps a little...

Last edited: Apr 11, 2012
    Gh0zt36 likes this.

3. Bulls Eye

Bulls Eye New Member

Hi, nice 16 1/2". Did you get that new?

4. PaBushMan

PaBushMan Well-Known Member

This thread is from 2012! :oops:

5. MisterMcCool

MisterMcCool Well-Known Member Supporter

6. Bulls Eye

Bulls Eye New Member

cool thanks, these are a bit rare and not a lot is known about them.

MisterMcCool likes this.
  7. schnuffleupagus

schnuffleupagus Well-Known Member

PASS!

PaBushMan likes this.
  8. Bulls Eye

Bulls Eye New Member

You are correct! There is not too much info out there and most of what is out there in incorrect. I've been searching for information for years. I know more than most and I don't know much! What size barrel ?

Last edited: Jul 27, 2020
  9. Bulls Eye

Bulls Eye New Member

10. Hookeye

Hookeye Well-Known Member

Some had Millett sights.
    Think my 10.5" tapered had Micro rear sight.

Round receiver uppers....my 8 inch ( or 8.5 can't remember ) had Millett.

The Lightnings has flat sides. And a little bump on lower front of trigger guard for the newfangled two hand hold of the day.

The AMT uppers and Lightning guns shot well, when theyd shoot.
    As with anything AMT there were some QC issues here and there.

Some were great, some not so great.
    My 10.5 shot hyper V fantastic, which is hard on the bolt stop LOL. Cracked MS housing.

Dime sized 5 shot groups, off bag, irons.....at 25 yds. WW Supermax.
    Whacked a few chucks with it.

With the sides flat, uou could just see where the ripple of the bbl threads were on one side.

Typical AMT lol

Bulls Eye likes this.
  11. Hookeye

My BIL has a Hardballer that shoots OK and goes bang every time.

Some AMTs ran.

I dunno what era his is. Says AMT. Dunno if there were company changes under that name

12. Bulls Eye

Bulls Eye New Member

I have about 35 of them. I have a full set except a 12" round-sides. The backdrop is an actual AMT trade show banner. Yeah, funny a lot of them have issues but nothing too consistent, other than the inconsistency in general. I'm trying to put together the story from start to finish and I'm going to have quite a chore. So many missing details and contradicting stories! IMG_1644 (3).JPG

13. Hookeye

My 10.5" or whatever it was, shot great.
    But I ran it w Hyper V and ya aint supposed to.
    Coulda just got a new MS housing and kept going, maybe even swapped in a Ruger part?

I like long pistols/revolvers. They are great for the range and work fine afield, but by length they then are primaries.

And try as a might, autos and revolvers for me have to be hip guns.
    Sold my 8 3/8" 629 and 8" Rugers. Scoped or not............just too much.
    I'm getting kinda cranky/picky in my old age.

My dad has lots of stuff, likes to target shoot. I used to but have downsized and mostly hunt. So me having a bunch of handguns, let alone .22rf ones........just aint gonna happen.

Nothing wrong with collecting, and a nice display of all the variations of a model is pretty frickin' cool. Somebody has to do it :)

I was gonna try for the 4 TC Hawkens, and the metal riser Blackwidow recurves.
    Got half way, and knew where to get the others...........and well, I shoot one bow, one MZ............so stopped/sold the partial "collection"

Bulls Eye likes this.
  14. Hookeye

A 5.5" AMT came through the LGS recently.
    They were asking a bit more than what a Ruger would have been, and they sold it.
    There was an 8 bull maybe? Transfer came through, like new in box.
    Yeah,2 Lightnings in a couple months, and hadn't seen any for a decade :)

15. Sniper03

Sniper03 Supporting Member Supporter

Hookeye,
    Thanks for the detailed information!
    I had an AMT Hardballer 45 ACP like this one years ago and it functioned just fine!
    Don't remember what I did with it? But may have sold it in the Store or traded it for something I wanted more? But never had one of their 22 Pistols.
    AMT_HARDBALLER__45ACP.JPG

Bulls Eye likes this.
  16. Rifling82

Rifling82 Well-Known Member Supporter

That’s really cool!

Bulls Eye likes this.
  17. Gh0zt36

Gh0zt36 Well-Known Member

Do 16" barrels on a pistol serve a purpose ? What I mean is , are you still gaining velocity at 16" in a pistol ? If so approx what is the cutoff for velocity increase in your average pistol where any additional length is just adding weight ?

18. Bulls Eye

Bulls Eye New Member

No, I don't know what the had in mind in the late 80's but I think it's just for looks and cool factor...Imagine this back then for just a couple bucks added to your Ruger Mark I or II would have been pretty cool. I'm not sure if they were even able to market them before they went out of business. I'm actually trying to find out more about that in this post. Waiting for the other guy with his to tell me what he knows. They only made a few.

Gh0zt36 likes this.