New 85 for the wife

Discussion in 'Revolver Handguns' started by wjnfirearms, Mar 14, 2012.

1. wjnfirearms

wjnfirearms New Member

I bought the wife a Taurus 85 Ultra Lightweight for an early anniversary present. It arrived today and she was thrilled. She picked this one herself recently when we were at a local gun show, but I decided to get it for her after she finally got her CCW. She already has a Bersa Thunder, but also wanted a J Frame revolver.

I was impressed with the handling and performance of the 85 along with it's accuracy. It reminded me of the S&W Model 36 I used to have. I took my Taurus compact .357 along and we had at it. The recoil was just as manageable as my heavier J framed .357, but at 17 ounces, lighter feeling in the hand. Definately one that I'd recommend to someone in the market. Price point is excellent also. It didn't hurt that two of my distributors have them on sale right now. ;)

She loved it and is positively dangerous with it. Good thing I'm on her good side. :rolleyes:

2. pluspforyou38

pluspforyou38 New Member

i carry that same .38 everyday. i havent had any problems ever with it. recoil is still manageable with plus p rounds also. one of my favorites

3. hardluk1

hardluk1 Active Member

I carried 85SS for 20 years. Smoother today than when new and looks almost as good.

4. pfev1980

pfev1980 New Member

My wife loves hers. She got the blued one with pink grips. She initially tried my semis (1911, PX4 .40 and FNP-9) and just didn't like them. I felt like she would do better with a revolver and she hasn't looked back since. She called me today to ask me what box of bullets she needed to pick up so she could go shoot Friday. Sounds like a satisfied customer to me. I fired it a couple of times myself and I think I would prefer a longer barrel, but since it's her's, I kept my complaints to myself.

5. JTJ

JTJ Well-Known Member Supporter

The 85 was the only Taurus I did not have some problem with. Mine was the titanium and had the ported barrel. I sold it after firing it with +P on a darkened range. I was blind for a few seconds.

6. levelcross

levelcross New Member

Good for you. It is nice to see I am not the only husband that buys the wife guns that she picks out. I got mine one for Valentines day a couple of years ago, she loves it and still tolerates me.

7. pluspforyou38

pluspforyou38 New Member

i have a model 94 in four inch and snubb nose. i havent had problems with either after 1000's of rounds. people always knock taurus but with a lifetime warranty i think they some of the best. def for ur money

8. HOSSFLY

HOSSFLY New Member

Well, I said many times in defense of Taurus handguns that I've owned dozens of Taurus revolvers & the 85 was the ONLY one i've ever had a problem with :eek:
    I'm sure I was just lucky enough to get the "lemon" :rolleyes:
    I still stand with confident owners of Taurus :)

9. chazzy

chazzy New Member

I love my Taurus raging bull 44ss....people "knock" the foreign made guns, but the foreign guns are some of the best made....IMHO

10. MattM87

MattM87 New Member

In my opinion the taurus guns are not as awful as they are sometimes made out to be. I believe smiths are better revolvers but they are also way more expensive! It really depends on what you want. If I was going to buy one I would buy a smith personally because I'm young and I tend to keep my guns forever so chances are good for me to put thousands of rounds downrange. However it comes down to how much extra your willing to pay for a little extra quality and sometimes in many applications its simple not worth extra hundreds of dollars to upgrade!

11. wjnfirearms

wjnfirearms New Member

I also had picked up a Taurus revolver recently for myself. I found a used 605 from another dealer and couldn't pass it up. Basically, it was one of those deals where you handle one and just have to take it home with you and you just so happen to have the available funds. The action was as smooth as any revolver I've had or shot. One thing that surprised me was how controllable this small gun was using the .357 loads. The closest thing I'd experienced similar in the past was shooting +P out of my S&W Model 36 that since has gone to a new home. The wife liked it also, though she did comment on the weight being heavier than her 85. I liked the extra heft over her Lightweight. At shorter ranges, the 605 was dead on.

IMHO, in the world of wheelguns, I don't believe that anyone's sacrificing anything choosing a Taurus over a Smith these days. However, everyone's entitled to their preferences.