New .22 pistol. Need suggestions

Discussion in 'Semi-Auto Handguns' started by Powersportgiant, Mar 8, 2012.

1. Powersportgiant

Powersportgiant New Member

Well I just sold my Walther P22 and I am in the market for another semi auto .22 pistol. Even though my Walther had more rounds through it than any other firearm I own, I was never happy with its accuracy or reliability. Therefore, I am in the market for a replacement plinker.

Ruger SR22- like ruger name, anyone know if this has a threaded barrel.

Ruger MK3- I know this is an accurate gun, only downside is I like a threaded barrel for a suppressor.

Smith and Wesson M&P 22 - this one just caught my eye, do not really know anything about it.

1911 .22- maybe a GSG or Sig...

Any thoughts, suggestions, or additional firearms I should consider ?

Last edited: Mar 8, 2012
  2. Ranger-6

Ranger-6 New Member

I have a Phoenix HP22 and like it a lot.

3. 007BondJamesBond007

007BondJamesBond007 New Member

Last edited: Mar 8, 2012
  4. BillM

BillM Active Member Supporter

Ruger MkIII 22/45

P45GMK3PRRP no sights, picatinny rails, 4.5" threaded

P45GMK3RP fixed sights, 4.5" threaded

Both can be fit with 1911 grip panels if you want. Get rid of the
    %$#&% magazine safety, drop in a volquarzen trigger, screw on your can.
    Get some magazine basepads for it from TT Custom--worth every penny.

Only downside is that Ruger doesn't offer adjustable sights--but that's
    fixable.

I have the railed one, with a C-more on it. Wife likes iron sights. We
    shoot speed steel with them, and use them for cheap 1911ish practice.

5. winds-of-change

winds-of-change The Balota's Staff Member

I believe the Ruger Mark III has a threaded barrel or can be ordered with a threaded barrel.

6. Olympus

Olympus New Member

If you want accuracy, look at S&W 41s and older High Standard Supermatic Trophy and Victors. They are expensive, but once you shoot one, you'll know why. I have two Ruger MK II Targets and they can't hold a candle to my High Standards in terms of quality and accuracy.

7. jjfuller1

jjfuller1 New Member

my sr22 does not have a threaded barrel, so far it has been reliable. accuracy was lacking at 25 yards tho. had to really try to keep them all in a 8 inch circle. but then again that was at 25 yards.

8. wiliardo123

wiliardo123 New Member

James Bond carries a Walther so if you want to be James Bond do like him.
    In my own opinion smith 617 10 rounds revolver is perfect. Specially with the 4 inches barrel the 6 inches isn't bad but it's a bit heavier.
    No one shot the 617 and didn't fall in love with it.

Note. It's a bit pricey for a 22

If you want the bees don't complain about the stings.
    Good thing Walther is a smith and Wesson affiliate now so pay them a visit to their website.

I hate Rugers based on personal experiences in terms of misfires and stuff but they have the best grip

9. Armadiloroadkil

Armadiloroadkil New Member

I'm going with the SR22 myself. Going to put some money down at my local gun shop next week. He hasn't even received the first one from Ruger yet and hopefully I'll be the owner of that gun when it arrives.

10. JonM

JonM Moderator

ive got a ruger mk3 22/45 they have a sub 5 inch threaded barrel model that comes with or without iron sights. the short barrel lets you use standard velocity rounds without them being driven to super sonic speeds.

highly recomend it.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

came with the threaded barrel from the factory.

only mods are i disabled the loaded chamber indicator which improved reliability an astounding amount. went around 7000 rounds without cleaning before it failed to feed. not counting duds of course. also disabled the magazine safety which allows the mags to seat properly/easily and drop free.

11. Powersportgiant

Powersportgiant New Member

I greatly appreciate all the great feedback. Looks like you can't go wrong with the Ruger 22/45. And the shopping begins.

12. historydoc

historydoc New Member

Sounds like the 22/45 would be what you are looking for.

13. Axxe55

Axxe55 The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

if you really like the Ruger Mark III, they do offer the 22/45 model with a threaded muzzle for a suppressor. i have the Mark III 22/45 Target model with the 5.5" barrel. excellent pistol.

14. wiliardo123

wiliardo123 New Member

I learned about the kel tec .22 magnum

30 rounds mag for a pistol that's impressive.
    I haven't gotten any reviews but something to consider.

The only thing that the .22 mag ammo is the same price like a 9mm. so do the math.

Capacity or effectiveness. ??

15. progolfer_iii

progolfer_iii New Member

I have a GSG and love it. I've had very few problems. Mostly user error. I tend to get too high with my hands and let my finger drag the slide causing FTF. If you want to shoot steel challenge, I don't think you can shoot 22mag. Not sure about that but I'm sure someone will chime in.

16. Anoo42

Anoo42 New Member

Bought me a SR22 last week, took it out and put about 250 rounds though it and couldn't be happier. New gun so aftermarket parts are lacking but will be here very soon.

17. apowers1214

apowers1214 New Member

I have the GSG .22 and have no complaints with my purchase at all. Also with websites like cwaaccessories.com you can trick them out if you really want to. Overall fun gun for the price.

Attached Files:

18. Rich635mustang

Rich635mustang New Member

Jon,

I have the same model. Do you have the part #/source where you purchased the rail mount and grips?

19. qwiksdraw

qwiksdraw New Member

You are considering a wide variety of 22 handguns that are quite different in many ways. All you left out was a revolver.

Since the only ones not discussed so far are the GSG & Sig Sauer 1911 22LRs, let me toss in my two cents. (I have the Sig) The guns are identical except for the finish on the and Sig offers a better warranty.

If you like a 1911, you're going to like a GSG/Sig. It is just like shooting one of the big boys until you pull the trigger. The Sig is fairly accurate out the box, but can't say it's as accurate as a Buckmark or Mark III. If you like modifying a gun you can get quality performance parts from GSGPro.com and ZR tactical Solutions.

20. BeyondTheBox

BeyondTheBox New Member

The Ruger 22/45 comes with a threaded barrel option, I believe.