New 20ga for my nephew

Discussion in 'General Shotgun Discussion' started by BigBizz87, Jan 17, 2014.

1. BigBizz87

BigBizz87 New Member

Looking for suggestions on a rugged, reliable, long lasting 20ga

Thanks in advance

2. nchunt101

nchunt101 New Member

Remington 1100 - the 1st gun that was all"mine". I got mine (LT-20 straight stock) when I was 11 and all most 20 yrs later still dove hunt with it every year. There is not enough money in the world to buy that gun.

3. KG7IL

KG7IL Active Member

This is a great thing to do for a nephew. You haven't indicated what action(s) interest you.

Nothing wrong with getting an affordable used one to start him out. If this is his first, a fine over-under from a local gun store or pawn shop would be great.
    The next one you give him can be the expensive one!

If he is very young, single shots are a great way to go. Most any shotgun will last years without problems. If you find one that catches your eye, search for "modelnumber PROBLEMS"

I'm sure others will be along to mention favorite model numbers and such.

4. BigBizz87

BigBizz87 New Member

To add to my first post lookin for pump action 20ga with 18in barrel were as I need it small enough for him to use in the very near future but still be full sized for when he gets older.

I'm doing the same for my son when he gets old enough but he's only 3 so still have 7 years to go my nephew is 7 so he's getting close to "out growing" the single shot bolt action 22 he has.

5. BK3220

BK3220 Member Lifetime Supporter

Three sons here, first got a Rem 870, the second a Browning BPS youth and the youngest a Stoeger Condor O/U. All good guns just find what fits best.

6. Virginian

Virginian Active Member

Same as 12 gauge, Remington 870 or Mossberg 500 lead the pack. BPS is an excellent gun, but I don't like the bottom loading through the magazine as opposed to chucking a round in the side port.

7. BigBizz87

BigBizz87 New Member

8. BK3220

BK3220 Member Lifetime Supporter

He is a southpaw. Youth models were tough enough to find. Lots more options now.

9. Virginian

Virginian Active Member

In that case a BPS definitely has some advantages. A Remington 1100 LT-20 youth gun is also a good choice, all you have to do is get a left handed safety. I have started several youngsters and ladies with my LT20 with a youth stock bolted on. With the 26" Skeet barrel, my gun actually tipped the scales lighter than the black finished youth gun.

10. od green

od green New Member

Bought my youngest the Moss 500 youth combo a few years ago, built like a tank with extra spacers for the stock. Mounted a scope for the deer barrel and now he will probably be an old man before he gets it back !!!

11. robocop10mm

robocop10mm Lifetime Supporting Member Lifetime Supporter

Remington 870 Youth model. When he gets older the stock can be replaced with a "full length" version.

The Mossberg posted above is a very viable option. The 20" is NOT too long. With a full magazine, it will be front heavy. Only load a couple til he gets stronger.

12. jigs-n-fixture

jigs-n-fixture Well-Known Member Lifetime Supporter

Once you're used to it the bottom feed is about just as quick. Personally I prefer it, having cut my teeth on an Ithaca 37. I keep my right hand on the grip, and load with the left hand.

13. kfox75

kfox75 Well-Known Member Supporter

If you can find a used 20 gauge pump, you can pick up the furniture from ATI (or any other "tacticool brand) and set up something like that for about half the price. About 3\4 the price if you can score a good used barrel at your LGS.

Not knocking it, just sayin'.

14. VoxRomantic

VoxRomantic Member

I bought two 870 youth models for my sons when they were young.

When they graduated to adult size shotguns, I loaned the two guns to the

several neices and nephews....... As each outgrew them I passed them on.....

So far 10 cousins have used them!

4 more to go.

My young men are 25 and 23 now. They don't have any kids I know of:D

When they do, I"ll pull them back in for their kids.......

But for now, it is making a pretty good family legacy!

By now the cousins know the serial numbers and know if they used V's or T's

gun.

15. Rick1967

Rick1967 Well-Known Member

I am a lefty. I have a Mossberg 500. I like it a lot. I have several different stocks for it. The nice thing about a Mossy 500 is you can always find another stock. I think I have even seen a Mossy stock at Walmart!

16. awahlster

awahlster New Member

Remington 870 Express Magnum COMPACT 20ga

they are built on the LT frame they come with a 21" Rem choke barrel they have a short LOP

You can later buy a 26" barrel and a longer butt stock for it

They are a current model and available through almost any dealer.

I bought one for my grand daughters which will grow with them.

17. BVAL

BVAL New Member

Go for and check out the Remington 870 combo pack. Can be had with wood or composite stocks. They will be however in their express finish. I'm not saying there is anything wrong with the finish, I just like deep rich blue receivers .
    First 870 that was all my own was given to me as a Christmas present from my parents when I was 11 years old. It is the Wingmaster model in 12ga. By the time the next Christmas came around, I had mowed a lot of lawns, and went out and bought a MEC 600 Jr. Reloading press. There has been 1000's and 1000's of rounds shot through this shotgun, no problems at all, it has never seen a gunsmith. My quest never ended to find all the barrels that could be had for it. I wanted to do any type of hunting or target shooting. By the time I was 25 years old, I had them all,,,,, 30 full, 28 mod., 26 imp., all vent rib and a 20" rifle sight for shooting slugs. About 25 years ago, I couldn't stand it anymore, when out and bought a Wingmaster LW in 20ga. Have the 20" slug barrel and a 26" imp. Vent barrel for it. (No REM chock)
    I am now at the age of 55 years, and I will look for more barrels to go along with that 20 ga. There is no way that anyone could talk me out of my Remington 870 Wingmasters. Period!

Sent from my iPad using Firearms Talk

18. 303tom

303tom Well-Known Member

19. ironmike0311

ironmike0311 New Member

I have a Stevens I believe it is, almost exactly like that 303tom. Was my dad's when he was a kid, great all around gun. Has buckled many a dove and coyote.