New 1911 Purchase

Discussion in '1911 Forum' started by drvsafe, Aug 14, 2012.

1. drvsafe

drvsafe New Member

I've been considering a Springfield 1911 .45 Range Officer as my 1911 purchase. I feel it's got the right sights and has enough trigger pull to start me off and allow me to really get it to where I would want it to be. Price is a bit high though for a stripped down 1911.

Any other suggestions for the same platform with adjustable sights with as good quality as the Springfield?

2. jinman007

jinman007 New Member

What do you plan to use it for?

3. Gatoragn

Gatoragn Active Member

STI Spartan V

4. Jpyle

Jpyle New Member

Range Officer really not considered a "stripped down" 1911. It comes with some pretty good upgrades over a standard GI.

5. Axxe55

Axxe55 The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

i have to agree with JPyle, the SA RO isn't a stripped down pistol by any means. i have looked at them and held them, and they are a dang nice pistol for the price. SA makes very good 1911 pistols and i have personally owned many over the years and currently own one now thay i wouldn't take twice what i paid for it! they are IMO, awesome pistols.

6. 1911ripley

1911ripley New Member

image-4251270689.jpg

As a person who owns a ro get it is not a strip down 1911. It more like ready to take out the box and shoot in a match. I love mine so far only up grades I did was checker front of grip and did the front of my slide but it hangs with some of my high end 1911 and for under $1000 it shoot better thn many others at tht price range

7. drvsafe

drvsafe New Member

It's gonna be a range gun more than anything. If I can get more proficient with it I'd live to shoot it in competition but that's a ways away.

8. tacticalfun

tacticalfun Active Member

The only thing i did to my ro was change sights. Buy it and dont look back!!!!

9. CHLChris

CHLChris New Member

I'm not a parkerized guy, and I'd like at least 3 white dots...maybe even night sights. Those are the only reasons why the RO isn't on my list.

Springfield is the bomb!! They are the only ones with a transferrable lifetime warranty.

I haven't been able to decide on a simple Stainless Loaded, a Black Stainless Target Loaded, or a Stainless TRP. I know they're all different prices, but I love the options that Springfield has!

10. danf_fl

danf_fl Retired Supporter

The RO is setup like one I used in 1987 for competition.

I would buy it if I needed another.

11. KeysKelly

KeysKelly New Member

My first 1911 was a Springfield and I still own it today. I have been very happy with it. I have shot it side by side with my Kimber, a friend's Ed Brown, another friend's Colt and a Wilson owned by my dealer. The Springfield held it's own against them all.

I'm a huge Springfield fan in general.

12. Olympus

Olympus New Member

The STI Spartan also has adjustable target rear sight and a fiber optic front sight. I think they are about $630. Would be a good alternative is the price of the RO is high for you.

13. Birddogyz

Birddogyz Member Lifetime Supporter

Drbsafe, I have a SA RO and love it. It is not a stripped down entry level 1911. SA gave it some great up grades and kept the price down on it. I would recommend you try your local range and rent a few models to help you decide.

14. drvsafe

drvsafe New Member

Was over at one of the LGS by me and saw a High Standard 1911, parkerized "standard" being the operative word here. but it was marked $399 and he offered it to me for $349. Seemed very much a base model which I don't mind, but the question is quality.

Any input on High Standard?

15. Olympus

Olympus New Member

I'm pretty sure it's a Filipino-made gun, which there are a lot of on the market. I haven't heard too many negatives about it. Just depends on whether you are willing to sacrifice on features or not.

16. ShagNasty1001

ShagNasty1001 New Member

I have one and am in love with it! Not a problem all, except the magazine sucks but I got a Chip McCormic from a friend and had no problems at all. Mr Wray also has one as well and I'm sure he'll chime in on the High Standard. He's helped me a lot with mine and answered all my questions about it

17. MrWray

MrWray New Member

$349 is cheap, i have a HS 1911 and love it. They go for $500 around here. They are very good 1911s

I love mine so much its actually gonna get a twin in the next couple of weeks, traded a friend my G31 for it.

Last edited: Aug 16, 2012
  18. LongBaller71

LongBaller71 New Member

At $349 scoop it up! Can upgrade grips, sights, and mags; with plenty of money left for a nice holster or a few boxes of ammo.

19. DallasShooter

DallasShooter New Member

Nope, they aren't the only ones. STI also has a transferable warranty.

20. Axxe55

Axxe55 The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

for $349 or even $399, i would jump on that like a duck on a june bug! dang good price and High Standard is the same as a RIA under a different rollmark. they are fantastic pistols sold at a decent price. the quality is excellent. the finish is quite the same standard as a Colt or SA or some of the higher end 1911's, but reliability and performance, they are great. i would buy another in a second. scratch that, i already ordered another one in 38 Super!