new 1911 purchase choices

Discussion in '1911 Forum' started by D.C., Aug 30, 2012.

1. D.C.

D.C. New Member

Hello all, been lurking here for a while,
    I'm in the market for a new 1911. (range Gun, adjustable sight, full size gov.)
    I keep going back to my LGS and looking hard at a colt GCT Blue. I kinda wanted a checkered or stippled front strap. But not a deal breaker if it doesn't have that. The Springer RO looks and feels nice and the STI trojan almost had me. I like the extras that others like sig, springfield sti etc. have but I keep getting drawn back to the Gold Cup Trophy, even without the extras.
    So what do you all think about this one?
    Thanks for a great site also.
    DC

2. Dearhunter

Dearhunter Supporting Member Supporter

I have a Colt Gold Cup. I put hogue grips on it. I have won many shooting matches with it. Plus, it holds it value.

DSCN0580.jpg

3. tacticalfun

tacticalfun Active Member

Nighthawk has all of the above.

ForumRunner_20120830_213915.jpg

ForumRunner_20120830_213932.jpg

ForumRunner_20120830_213944.jpg

4. D.C.

D.C. New Member

I already bought those grips before I made the decision on which one. I like to give my LGS some more of my business and the price for the gold cup is right in my budget $1050 nib. I want something reliable and able to feed anything. But before I pull the trigger on it, I wanted to look around. This site has helped a lot. Thanks All

5. Olympus

Olympus New Member

Nothing at all wrong with a Gold Cup Trophy.

However, I've been lusting for the Sig Traditional Match Elite. Stainless slide on a black Nitron frame, adjustable target sights, front strap checkering, stainless control parts, and a price of $925 at my LGS. You can buy the same gun from Buds for $888 with free shipping.

6. ShagNasty1001

ShagNasty1001 New Member

I picked up a Gold Cup National Match series 80 and while I can't attest to its shooting yet (stupid work), the way it feels and the trigger squeeze is just phenomenal. Plus like stated earlier, it holds it's value

Attached Files:

Last edited: Aug 31, 2012
  7. D.C.

D.C. New Member

well I got a deal on the gold cup trophy I could not refuse. I just shot 100 PMC 230gr"s and over 160 rounds of 200gr SWC I loaded several years ago and it shot them well without a hicup. Then I read about the reduced weight spring that was installed. I don't think it hurt it. I'm glad I got the colt even though some others I looked at were tighter fitting. Thanks all

8. ShagNasty1001

ShagNasty1001 New Member

Pictures or it didn't happen

9. limbkiller

limbkiller New Member

Buy a SA RO and don't look back. Best range gun for the money on the planet. $750-800 and a lifetime warranty.

10. canebrake

canebrake New Member

Great choice. And don't worry about the slide fit. Close tolerances for the 1911 slide fit are over rated.

The Colt is built to specs.

11. D.C.

D.C. New Member

When I was looking at a new 1911 I kept thinking of the up grades (grip safety, trigger job, etc.) but I'm happy with the Gold Cup as it is. This is a sweet shooter out of the box. I'll be back to work in the stan in 2 weeks and will be looking forward to when I get back next year so I can get dialed in with it. I need to stock up on some 45 ammo when I find a good deal but it seems like it will be 230 ball til I get some reloaded again.
    Thanks for a great site, DC

12. canebrake

canebrake New Member

The AuCup loves light target loads behind 230's.

And they are cheap to hand roll.

Be safe down range my friend, and keep in touch!

13. canebrake

canebrake New Member

This is from Mark Roberts several years ago, while he was in charge of Colt handgun manufacturing; "...if a gun [Colt] does not run, out of the box, it's broken - send it back". This was in response to a question of why Colt did not fit up their slides and frames ultra tight like Kimber, etc. He advised that there is a "correct" tolerance for an accurate, reliable 1911 - and that tighter is not better, and gives no worthwhile advantages.

He contended that the miniscule gains in accuracy vs. the headaches and unreliability of a tight 1911 made super tight a bad practice for all but target range only guns that are never used for defense. The pistols sold to the military were purposely built with certain clearances incorporated into the mechanism to ensure reliability under battlefield conditions. Reducing these clearances may make the pistol shoot more accurately, but it will also detract from its serviceability as a combat arm.

If it needs break in - it's fitted wrong by people who don't understand the design - or are chasing that last 1/4" on a 2" at 25 yd weapon - foolishly.

YMMV, and doesn't necessarily apply to the GC.

Last edited: Sep 2, 2012